The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-14-2019, 10:36 PM

Just turned 72 last Saturday (great....daughters and grandkids/family all came to visit!).
But, I can feel the "old guy" stuff weighing in more than ever......doing exercise each day for my back ( and PT twice a month), bacterial prostate stuff every now and then (only 5%-10% of us get this version!)......and MOHS surgery on my nose at the end of the month......great...........
Decided recently to bow out of my private consulting (college admissions counseling) and devote more time to staying in better shape which contributes to being able to still work seasonally in the summer months for a while longer, which is fairly physical and needs additional prep each year.....along with house projects that are pending. And so it goes...........
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-15-2019, 04:41 AM

Good question. Being 67 and my wife 65 (both retired) our big life decisions are in our past. We have made some good ones as well as bad ones - just like everybody else. Minimal worries right now about anything. In a few years we will have to leave our lakeside home as we will not be able to handle this very physically demanding property (not to mention expensive to upkeep). Other than that, I think we’re good. Touch wood! And, might I wish all the very best to fellow AGFers who are facing much tougher challenges than I.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Currently, I'm looking at getting another Boston Terrier puppy... my pal, Piper Otis Jones, had to be put down last April and there has certainly been a HUGE hole in my heart and life since she's been gone...

The breeder I got Piper from has graciously offered a puppy to me, gratis - which is the only way I could really afford one anyway, as money has been very tight of late - and I'm going to make the trek to get the pup from Missoula, Montana, very soon... right now, looks like the last week of this month.

Having a puppy will be a challenge for me at 67 years... and I am very much looking forward to the experience!
Congrats! Nothing like a new puppy to make you smile!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:06 AM

Default Sandwich Generation

The wife and I made all our life decisions years ago: changing jobs 6 times in 3 different career paths, moving 6 times in 4 different cities, changing church denominations 2 times, running the gamut with our kids public schooling to homeschooling to private schooling and now to college. We are now in the classic "Sandwich Generation" trying to help our daughters and widowed mothers make life decisions. It is very much an "advise and consent" role knowing that ultimately they can and will do whatever they want regardless of our advice or consent.

I will say to those of you considering job/career changes, it's tough but it's worth it. Spent a lot of years in jobs I hated and finally found something where I don't dread going into work on Monday morning. Sure, there are frustrations with any job, but if you find it is destroying your soul it's time to change.
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 02-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhttr View Post
...I will say to those of you considering job/career changes, it's tough but it's worth it. Spent a lot of years in jobs I hated and finally found something where I don't dread going into work on Monday morning. Sure, there are frustrations with any job, but if you find it is destroying your soul it's time to change.
Gee, where were you with that advice when I needed it 35 years ago???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-15-2019, 09:33 AM

Do I really want to learn to play Jazz or should I stick with the Blues?
Old 02-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Still feel tense, like I’m still working. I have to keep telling myself, hey relax, you are retired. I’m sure my mind will catch on sooner or later.
It's a 2-year decompression window, and it's actually a pretty good ride. Ask any long-time retiree

Hey Mandobart, I think we should get UMGF / AGF T-shirts for Wintergrass...pretty sure the plowing and de-icing will be done by then.

My pending life decision is "Where, how, at what do I volunteer to do"? I have plenty to do in retirement, but right now I'm not contributing much to the betterment of my fellow humans.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Sorry to hear it went that way - you did what you thought was right, and made the correct decision when the time came.
Hoping you get out free and clear with no repercussions.
Thank you fitness, I am hoping for the same, and for the best for her. She has family, they've just not been involved, sad. Feel bad for the kid, but wow, more than we can handle.

I've read all the posts in this thread, some interesting stories here, and some very good people on this board. I'm humbled to be among you all.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:53 PM

Interesting thread idea.

I have a baby due sometime in the next 6-8 weeks, so I’m pursuing job opportunities in my field that are much closer to home than my 42 mile each way commute right now.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Interesting thread idea.

I have a baby due sometime in the next 6-8 weeks, so I’m pursuing job opportunities in my field that are much closer to home than my 42 mile each way commute right now.
My heart goes out to you and I hope the very best to you and your SO.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-15-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Just turned 72 last Saturday (great....daughters and grandkids/family all came to visit!).
But, I can feel the "old guy" stuff weighing in more than ever......doing exercise each day for my back ( and PT twice a month), bacterial prostate stuff every now and then (only 5%-10% of us get this version!)......and MOHS surgery on my nose at the end of the month......great...........
Decided recently to bow out of my private consulting (college admissions counseling) and devote more time to staying in better shape which contributes to being able to still work seasonally in the summer months for a while longer, which is fairly physical and needs additional prep each year.....along with house projects that are pending. And so it goes...........
Sounds like u have a wonderful family. Happy Birthday!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
An important thing facing you. I wish you the best.
Thank you.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Biggest thing I have going is my weight loss attempt. I'm down 21.5, about 20 more to go (at least). I'm coming up on 64 next month and I don't need to be carrying around 40 pounds that I don't need.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-15-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Biggest thing I have going is my weight loss attempt. I'm down 21.5, about 20 more to go (at least). I'm coming up on 64 next month and I don't need to be carrying around 40 pounds that I don't need.
You and me both. It’s one of the most difficult but rewarding things to do. For me, it has boiled down to “no more soft drinks/ pop” which I’ve found can really pack on the lbs.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
You and me both. It’s one of the most difficult but rewarding things to do. For me, it has boiled down to “no more soft drinks/ pop” which I’ve found can really pack on the lbs.
Yes and bread packs on the pounds too. No bread, lots of low sodium soup, no snacking etc. I'm doing about 1,100 calories a day, but I'm a desk jockey so I get away with it most of the time. Sometimes I can feel the energy sapping away so I'll have a little extra.

The other critical thing for me is water. 3-5 bottles a day.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic