The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-23-2019, 07:43 AM

Another vote for the Korean-made Gretsch Electromatics (skip over the low-buck Indonesian/Chinese stuff) - you'll pay a little more but you'll get a lot more guitar in the bargain...
Old 01-24-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster.
I have one of these...best bang for the buck by far. For a sub-$400 guitar you get a surprisingly well made and full featured electric model that is based on the original design that started it all. In a recent pole I saw, I think on this forum, that listed everyone's favorite electric guitar, the Tele was the top, most popular model (followed by Strat & Les Paul tied for second, well behind the Teles though). If you want a really good Tele, but don't want to spend anymore than is necessary to get one worth having, the Squire Classic Vibe is an easy choice. You just can't go wrong with this model.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:22 PM

I buy A LOT of electric guitar, and I have about 37 electrics in my collection.

More than 50% of the guitars in my collection are used and come from pawnshops and CL.

Since you're a beginner, I think you'd be better off buying the best quality used guitar you can find.

I personally would would rather spend $500-$600 on a good quality used guitar than a the same amount on a MIM, MIC, or Indonesia made guitar.

For one, the resale value will be a lot better, and you have a chance of getting your money back or a little profit when and if you sell it.

To prove my point, these are good quality used American made guitars that I bought in great condition that are the same price as what the OP is willing to spend on a new MIM guitar. for $599.

I've bought all these used American made guitars in the last 4 years.

$500 - '75 Fender Standard Strat
$212 - '85 Kramer USA Baretta 1
$600 - '86 MIJ Fender '69RI Pink Paisley Tele
$438 - '89 Fender Standard Strat
$325 - '90 Fender Strat Plus
$230 -00 Gibson LP Special
$425 - '01 Gibson LP Jr.
$300 - '03 Epiphone MIJ Elite LP Custom
$400 - '07 Fender '57 AVRI Strat

Any one of these would be an amazing 1st guitar for any beginner and would easily bring a profit if sold.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
I buy A LOT of electric guitar, and I have about 37 electrics in my collection.

More than 50% of the guitars in my collection are used and come from pawnshops and CL.

Since you're a beginner, I think you'd be better off buying the best quality used guitar you can find.

I personally would would rather spend $500-$600 on a good quality used guitar than a the same amount on a MIM, MIC, or Indonesia made guitar.

For one, the resale value will be a lot better, and you have a chance of getting your money back or a little profit when and if you sell it.

To prove my point, these are good quality used American made guitars that I bought in great condition that are the same price as what the OP is willing to spend on a new MIM guitar. for $599.

I've bought all these used American made guitars in the last 4 years.

$500 - '75 Fender Standard Strat
$212 - '85 Kramer USA Baretta 1
$600 - '86 MIJ Fender '69RI Pink Paisley Tele
$438 - '89 Fender Standard Strat
$325 - '90 Fender Strat Plus
$230 -00 Gibson LP Special
$425 - '01 Gibson LP Jr.
$300 - '03 Epiphone MIJ Elite LP Custom
$400 - '07 Fender '57 AVRI Strat

Any one of these would be an amazing 1st guitar for any beginner and would easily bring a profit if sold.
I like buying used. For acoustic, not an issue because I know what to watch out for. On an electric, no idea. Don't know if I'm buying trouble.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
I like buying used. For acoustic, not an issue because I know what to watch out for. On an electric, no idea. Don't know if I'm buying trouble.
Even with new guitars, sometimes you're buying trouble.

I heard of PLENTY of issues with new guitars sometimes costing several thousand dollars.

Any fixes in a guitar are only a guitar tech away.

If I'm going to save hundreds of dollars on buy good used guitars and spending $40 to possibly $100 to get used guitar set up perfectly, then I'm going that route every time.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-25-2019, 03:01 PM

Another question. Will an electric guitar need a setup like an acoustic might when new?
Old 01-25-2019, 06:17 PM

I bought a special offer of a Fender Squire Telecaster from GC for $179. My Luthier did a complete setup,Chrome strings and adjusted the pickups=$40. Plays like butter and sounds great through my Fender Champion 100. "Blondie" is a keeper.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Another question. Will an electric guitar need a setup like an acoustic might when new?
Yes. No.

Yes because not every manufacturer will go to the trouble of a "perfect" set up (defined as a low, easy-to-play action). Even on some expensive instruments. There's a lot to get right to some very fine tolerances. Unless you know the preferred string gauge, it's not even possible to do this.

No because electric guitars are just easier to play compared to an acoustic. Even if they're not set up perfectly, it might still feel really silky and easy in comparison to your acoustic.

(Or maybe I've just never played a really good acoustic guitar..?)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Yes. No.

Yes because not every manufacturer will go to the trouble of a "perfect" set up (defined as a low, easy-to-play action). Even on some expensive instruments. There's a lot to get right to some very fine tolerances. Unless you know the preferred string gauge, it's not even possible to do this.

No because electric guitars are just easier to play compared to an acoustic. Even if they're not set up perfectly, it might still feel really silky and easy in comparison to your acoustic.

(Or maybe I've just never played a really good acoustic guitar..?)
Thank you. Good to know.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:31 PM

Is there a difference between the classic vibe strat/tele and the standard? Is it just cosmetics or is there and upgrade on the parts?

Last edited by numb fingertips; 01-25-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Is there a difference between the classic vibe strat/tele and the standard? Is it just cosmetics or is there and upgrade on the parts?
Other than the extra $150 in price? I think the answer is yes. I believe there are differences both in the wood and hardware used and in some of the dimensions, such as neck profile. But Fender's website does not make comparing them easy, unless I am missing something.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
I bought a special offer of a Fender Squire Telecaster from GC for $179. My Luthier did a complete setup,Chrome strings and adjusted the pickups=$40. Plays like butter and sounds great through my Fender Champion 100. "Blondie" is a keeper.
Nice to hear about flatwound strings on your tele - that wound g makes all the difference for some.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:51 PM

Been listening to some comparisons on youtube. As much as you can tell through a computer, I hear a difference between the squier strat and the MIM standard strat. Not saying one sounds better to me than the other. Just that I can hear a difference. Between the classic vibe vs. the standard MIM I didn't hear much of a difference in sound. Though, I do think it might just be the player.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:00 PM

Old 01-25-2019, 11:46 PM

I played electric mainly Burns guitars and Telecasters for many years now I’m 100% acoustic . The one brand that I think is amazing is FretKing check out the Jerry Donahue Tele for an acoustic player it’s a great versatile guitar .
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars