The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Is this tele neck to high?

So I recently built a partscaster out of a Warmoth neck and body. This is my fist electric build (assembly). Im trying to get it set up and intonated. The first thing I noticed was that the neck doesn't come all of the way down to the pickguard like my other tele.

Is this ok? I have no idea what the actual height should be and if this is just do to differences in neck design or pickguard..

Any thoughts?

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-19-2018, 01:17 PM

Sorry I tried to post an image but its not working. Thought I could use google photos. What hosting site do you recommend?

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-19-2018, 02:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Sorry I tried to post an image but its not working. Thought I could use google photos. What hosting site do you recommend?
If Warmoth made both parts, they’re correct.

HE
Old 12-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Heres a link I think should get you the pic. Any time I try posting as a image nothing shows up..

https://imgur.com/a/lOD2g78

Yea I figured it had to be right but wasn't sure if there were different options that might be missmatched..

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-19-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Heres a link I think should get you the pic. Any time I try posting as a image nothing shows up..

https://imgur.com/a/lOD2g78

Yea I figured it had to be right but wasn't sure if there were different options that might be missmatched..
Hi! The pic on imgur shows nothing unfortunately. My question is: what do you mean the neck is “too high”? Do you mean that string action is too high, or that the neck profile is too thick? The first is usually a fairly simple set-up problem. The second is a matter of taste (I like chunky necks) and cannot be fixed except by swapping the neck I am afraid…
Old 12-19-2018, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Posting Pics

Adaw2821, try this thread to help you with pictures. I suggest using the Tapatalk app... it's quite easy.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
If Warmoth made both parts, they’re correct.

HE
That's certainly been my experience. I recently put together a telecaster style guitar with a Warmoth neck and body. Perfect. And I added a Warmoth neck to a Fender Strat body. Again, perfect.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 12-19-2018, 07:43 PM

Anybody ever have a slight gap between the lip that sticks back on the neck, after the last frett and the pickgaurd? I don't know maybe that's perfectly normal? I wish I could post some pics but haven't figured out how to..

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-19-2018, 07:52 PM

Warmoth makes two styles of Tele bodies. Vintage and modern. The vintage has a shallow neck pocket floor depth and the modern has... a modern Tele neck floor pocket depth. When ordering a body from them, you must specify the pocket depth. Standard neck pocket depth is 5/8”.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies...PocketPop.aspx
Old 12-20-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Anybody ever have a slight gap between the lip that sticks back on the neck, after the last frett and the pickgaurd? I don't know maybe that's perfectly normal? I wish I could post some pics but haven't figured out how to..

Adaw without seeing a pic it’s difficult to make out what the problem is. I’m new to the forum and had my trouble sharing pictures but eventually I managed it. Go to imgur, go on your menu on upper right screen, click on “Images”, select the image you want to show. On your right there will be a list of codes. One is “BBcode”. Click on “copy” and then paste here WITHOUT using the “image” tool of the forum. Just paste in the body of your message. It should work.

Some space between the neck heel and the margins of the neck pocket is quite normal in a Fender guitar. Too tight a fit usually results in finish cracks. Just depends how much tho
Old 12-20-2018, 05:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
You're referring to the fingerboard overhang that covers the neck pocket end, yes?

There has to be a slight gap. The basic reason is they, Warmoth, don't know what hardware you're going to necessarily use, and there has to be neck angle adjustment clearance if needed.

If it were touching when fully fastened, but you needed to shim the neck angle forward from the headstock end, you'd be exerting pressure, via the overhang, on the pick guard, and if you then tightened the back two neck screws (closer to the body), something would have to give.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 AM

Thanks Radiofm74. That did the trick.

Here is the picture. Just not sure if that gap was normal or not. Seems like the action is really high and just wanted to make sure everything was ok there before I started with a normal setup..
Its completely possible that the neck and body are mismatched because I had no idea there were different depths when I ordered..

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 12-20-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks Radiofm74. That did the trick.

Here is the picture. Just not sure if that gap was normal or not. Seems like the action is really high and just wanted to make sure everything was ok there before I started with a normal setup..
Its completely possible that the neck and body are mismatched because I had no idea there were different depths when I ordered..

Hi, that looks to me to be a perfectly unproblematic fretboard overhang. It’s done on purpose so you can have a 22nd fret without altering the classic shape of the pickguard, and is standard on “modern spec” telecasters. I’d say go ahead and set-up your tele to your heart’s desire.

Check this out for measurements: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fretboa...t-heel.331139/

Enjoy your nice tele!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
build, partscaster, tele neck