The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-07-2017, 09:50 AM

It can also send and receive midi. I have it setup so when I select a song in Onsong it selects the corresponding preset on my TC Voice Live 3. That alone saves me a lot of time between songs.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
It can also send and receive midi. I have it setup so when I select a song in Onsong it selects the corresponding preset on my TC Voice Live 3. That alone saves me a lot of time between songs.

Ok you got my attention... How?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Ok you got my attention... How?

Like this: https://onsongapp.com/docs/features/midi/
Old 02-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post

That's helpful. Will it work with the Tc Helicon Play Acoustic via wireless midi? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

Old 02-07-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That's helpful. Will it work with the Tc Helicon Play Acoustic via wireless midi? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

The Play Acoustic doesn't have a midi interface as far as I know. Mine's up at church, so I can't look, but I don't recall it having midi capability - but if it did, i can see exactly where you're going with this, and that would be cool - including automatically hitting that HIT switch at the right time
Old 02-07-2017, 01:17 PM

I cannot live without it! Simple as that!. As a worship leader I use it almost on a daily basis to create set lists, email songs and sets to band members etc. The flexibility it has to pull songs from anywhere especially Songselect is a major plus for me! Once pulled into the app, its super easy to edit songs as you like. Also, being able to change keys/transpose on the fly is great when you have multiple band members on a rotating basis and very little time to practice
Taylor 214ce DLX (Sunburst)
Old 02-07-2017, 07:27 PM

I've used a ring binder for years. All my songs are stored in there and they all live in plastic pockets. The songs for the set are pulled out and set on the music stand, so the binder lives off stage. Every page is indexed so that it goes back from whence it came. No issues with electronics failing at inopportune moments. I actually experimented with my laptop on stage at one stage and found it less than stellar over the sheets of paper. Maybe a tablet might allow me to reconsider.

Does onsong allow you to create a set list and just scroll from one song to the next?
Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 PM

^^ Yes it does.

I use the Blue Turn to step through the songs, set font
big enough to see from 5 feet away on the ipad holder.

Using a set list, most songs on mine are 4 pages of scrolling,
which is a timing thing and didn't work for me. The BT is
awesome. And at the end of the current song, the next
BT step MOVES on to the next song in the set list!

Too Cool.

(Kelly: Could we email txt files of worship songs? I
have around 25 with chords and words.)
Taylor 816ce (2014) #99
Takamine TF250SMCSB CT+Tri-ax.
Taylor W-10 (2001)
Takamine FP350SMC
Martin DCPA5
Yamaha SBG3000 (1982)
Masterbilt Epi DR500MCE, EF500RCCE
Breedlove Pursuit Concert Cedar/Hog
Martin D-18 GE (2011) SB K&K Pure
Cort Custom Shop CE
Baden "D" Maple (2006)
Tanglewood TW70H, TW1000SRH
Cordoba D9E, D11
Monroe Morgan Mch-50
Eastman E60M 2016
SoliDeoGloria
Old 02-07-2017, 08:09 PM

Big OnSong fan. Been using it a couple of years after dragging around binders for many years. Excellent tool! Can't live without it now.

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 02-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Another thumbs up for Onsong - it works very well, and we've been building quite a library of charts. I recently picked up a 12" ipad, and that makes it even easier to see, and just yesterday got the new Stomp 6, which in general I really prefer the switches on to the other bluetooth pedals, but haven't figured out what I need the other 3 switches for - yet -
Old 02-08-2017, 01:47 AM

I'm in the process of moving from a paper based binder of songs to OnSong. One thing that has impressed me in particular with OnSong is their technical support. I paid $30 for the app (approx) and have been able to get email support on several different questions.

The support was friendly, fast and at no additional charge.

My questions revolved around merging two separate backups (i'd gotten from friends) and setting up display options to match what I was used to getting manually on my paper pages.

Really impressive support.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
I've used a ring binder for years. All my songs are stored in there and they all live in plastic pockets. The songs for the set are pulled out and set on the music stand, so the binder lives off stage. Every page is indexed so that it goes back from whence it came. No issues with electronics failing at inopportune moments. I actually experimented with my laptop on stage at one stage and found it less than stellar over the sheets of paper. Maybe a tablet might allow me to reconsider.

Does onsong allow you to create a set list and just scroll from one song to the next?
Absolutely
Old 02-14-2019, 09:37 PM

Quick poll do you set your iPad/droid landscape or portrait ?

I do portrait and try to set to courier font and tabloid so there is no line wrap

But I see many with their iPad horizontal which means more page flips with the foot pedal?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I have been using it for a few months. Before that I used "Guitar Tapp" which is free.
On Song has more features, Guitar Tapp is easier to use.
I use Guitar Tapp. There’s a “pro” version that I think cost me $5, maybe $10. Probably just eliminates ads or something? I’ve looked into On Song, but Guitar Tapp already has all the power I need and then some. And it just seems to me if I switched,I’d either have a pretty massive upload / download process to convert my current song files over, or I’d have to re-edit / re-transpose everything in the new app. But Guitar Tapp works with the BT pedal for scrolling a song and is easy to create setlists with. It’s way more than I need and I think it would be if I was gigging too, which I haven’t done since about the time I got my first computer, let alone iPad...

Easier to use is way more important to me - Guitar Tapp has more features than I’ll ever use... I’m sure On-Song is the way to go if you’re just getting started with this kind of program and need a ton of features, or I guess if you want to coordinate its use with band mates - I don’t know if Guitar Tapp has ANY ability for that type of real-time sharing. But this is the first time I’ve seen Guitar Tapp even mentioned here and I’ll speak up for it as a simple and viable alternative for those who don’t need all the power of On-Song.

-Ray
Old 02-15-2019, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymopar View Post
Quick poll do you set your iPad/droid landscape or portrait ?

I do portrait and try to set to courier font and tabloid so there is no line wrap

But I see many with their iPad horizontal which means more page flips with the foot pedal?
Portrait, always. iPad mounted on my mic stand just above waist-height, so close enough to read easily, but not so close that it prevents the audience from seeing me!

Like MGWP, I have my songs sized to fit on one page, no remembering to hit the scrolling arrow, no messing around with Air-Turns or such clutter. Tap the RH edge of the screen, or swipe left, to move to the next song. Easy-Peasy-Lemon-Squeezy.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic