The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 AM

Default what's your favorite pedal?

Hey All ... what's your favorite pedal to use? I have a few on my pedal board but my favorite is probably the MXR Micro-Amp. Only a single button on it. Put it in the effects loop and it's a great, clean boost for my solos to increase the volume of the solo without adding any real gain (assuming there's still headroom left in the power tubes). Simple, cheap, reliable pedal.

How about you?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM

Hey Dru... the only pedal I use anymore is a Lexicon MPX550 reverb/delay. It has a ton of presets combining various time effects (reverb, chorus, echo, etc.). I seem to only use the reverb/delay combination setttings. I have an Albion TCT50 amp with 4x12 cabinet that has 3 footswitchable channels. I can go from clean to crunchy to overdrive with the footswitch, so my need for pedals has been quite diminished.

My GF's son, on the other hand, has been buying one or two pedals a week for the past couple of months. Most of them are what I would classify as "gimmicky." I told her someday he would lose interest in making weird sounds and appreciate the tone of a guitar plugged into a nice tube amp (OK... maybe some reverb or echo).
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

My Boss compression/sustainer pedal.

With all controls set at high noon it fattens up the tone on my Fenders very nicely.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
My Boss compression/sustainer pedal.

With all controls set at high noon it fattens up the tone on my Fenders very nicely.
I second this opinion. Mine is on most of the time and it's great at evening out note volume across the strings and making everything a little bigger.
I've recently acquired a Mad Professor Golden Cello and those two together are really impressive.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 AM

Depending on what I want to do, I have two favorites. My Marshall Bluesbreaker clone or the triangle spec Big Muff Pi clone. The first is a very smooth overdrive that adds just a touch of fuzz, and the second can give huge distortion and sustain when turned up.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM

For distortion it would be a light overdrive I designed and built a few years ago.

For an effect, it would be my 70's MXR Flanger. So fat and warm I must make myself turn it off.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Hey Dru... the only pedal I use anymore is a Lexicon MPX550 reverb/delay. It has a ton of presets combining various time effects (reverb, chorus, echo, etc.). I seem to only use the reverb/delay combination setttings. I have an Albion TCT50 amp with 4x12 cabinet that has 3 footswitchable channels. I can go from clean to crunchy to overdrive with the footswitch, so my need for pedals has been quite diminished.

My GF's son, on the other hand, has been buying one or two pedals a week for the past couple of months. Most of them are what I would classify as "gimmicky." I told her someday he would lose interest in making weird sounds and appreciate the tone of a guitar plugged into a nice tube amp (OK... maybe some reverb or echo).
Hey Rodger, I agree with you with the gimmicky guitar pedals. Using too many or the wrong ones can really degrade your chain. I like the amp to do most of the work now. Also, like your Lexicon, I'm using a TC Electronics Nova Repeater (delay) in my FX loop with my micro-amp. I like it for solos to fatten things up a bit.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Dru... I think as we mature musically, our electric set up actually becomes simpler. Plus, we eventually go for our own signature sound instead of trying to sound like someone else. My GF's son many times will buy a pedal to emulate a particular song or artist... then, he's unhappy that he doesn't sound like them. I tell him that there's more to a particular sound than a pedal - guitar, amp, modifications, other studio effects - but, to date he's unconvinced. Someday he'll figure it out. Maybe why a lot of us gravitate toward acoustics???
Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 PM

Does looper count? That would probably be it.

Effects are just an occasional taste here. I have the popular MXR Carbon Copy delay, Elecro-Harmonix Small Clone chorus, Wah and rarely used MXR overdrive but mostly play with Princeton Reverb clean.

If I want overdrive sound my Mesa Lonestar will do overdrive at low wattage or wake the neighborhood. No pedal (to me) sounds like the guitar and pre-amp pushing things so I rarely use overdrive pedal.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Dru... I think as we mature musically, our electric set up actually becomes simpler. Plus, we eventually go for our own signature sound instead of trying to sound like someone else. My GF's son many times will buy a pedal to emulate a particular song or artist... then, he's unhappy that he doesn't sound like them. I tell him that there's more to a particular sound than a pedal - guitar, amp, modifications, other studio effects - but, to date he's unconvinced. Someday he'll figure it out. Maybe why a lot of us gravitate toward acoustics???
I'm with you, simpler is better, but it wasn't always like that. My Marshall TSL-100, that I gigged with for a few years, has 21 knobs and 9 push buttons (I just counted). The Vintage Modern I bought last year has 8 knobs and 2 push buttons. Each amp has its place but I must admit I must be getting old because I'm preferring the simplicity of the Vintage Modern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Does looper count? That would probably be it.

Effects are just an occasional taste here. I have the popular MXR Carbon Copy delay, Elecro-Harmonix Small Clone chorus, Wah and rarely used MXR overdrive but mostly play with Princeton Reverb clean.

If I want overdrive sound my Mesa Lonestar will do overdrive at low wattage or wake the neighborhood. No pedal (to me) sounds like the guitar and pre-amp pushing things so I rarely use overdrive pedal.
Yep, we'll count in loopers too. It's amazing what a great amp, like your Lonestar, can do for our tone. The cab/speakers also have a significant impact.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM

Boss TU-3 tuner.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 PM

For amplified acoustic, the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. Don't leave home without it.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade View Post
Boss TU-3 tuner.
Just for the tuning capabilities or do you also use it as a mute pedal? That's what I like about the older TU-2.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM

I love several of my pedals, but the only one I could not do without (not including tuner) is the Clinch FX EP-pre. Not a boost pedal, not an OD pedal, just an overall tone sweetener. I even run my acoustic thru it.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I love several of my pedals, but the only one I could not do without (not including tuner) is the Clinch FX EP-pre. Not a boost pedal, not an OD pedal, just an overall tone sweetener. I even run my acoustic thru it.
Russ, I've never heard of that. Is it along the same lines as a BBE sonic maximizer?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars