The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Default New guitar and amp, Epi Les Paul and Laney

I'll post up some pics soon. I was looking for a rig to give a little more overdrive for those odd times that I use it. The Fenders and Vox will do it with my single coils, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, so I went amp shopping. Originally, I was thinking Marshall but no local shops had one that was small enough for my needs. Then, I tried a Laney 12r and was really enjoying the tone.

While playing the Laney with a variety of guitars, I happened to pick up an Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX Plus with active EMG pickups. The combo of the active pickups and the Laney was way better than I expected. The LP was on sale, so I was able to get the guitar and amp for $1k. I'm really enjoying them so far. I can get some great Knopfler-like overdrive with this combo.

The LP is heavy but balances fairly well. It's the sapphire blue version and is a nice looking guitar. Fit and finish are superb on this particular guitar. Tone and volume knobs are smooth and the shop gave it a good setup, so the action is spot on. Frets are dressed well and the fretboard has a good feel. I have not played this guitar clean very much or through my Fender or Vox amps, so I'm not sure how the EMGs will sound clean. Since I mostly bought this for the crunch, I'm not too awfully concerned. I have strats and teles and P90 equipped guitars for that clean tone.

The Laney seems to have pretty good digital reverb and I like that you can choose the wattage for more or less crunch. Everything seems to work smoothly and I'm not getting any tube rattler like these sometimes have. So far, so good. The size is also very nice for home use.

Will post some pics soon.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Here's a picture.20190208_142935.jpg
Old 02-08-2019, 04:59 PM

If you like the Laney you might be interested in this:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...n=q2_2016_test

Exact same amp, different cab/different price - here's a review:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=537195
Old 02-08-2019, 06:28 PM

Congrats Todd! Sounds like you found a great pair. My buddy had the Prophecy and I've played it a few times. Nice guitar. I've never played that Laney before but it's a great brand.

So, do you think this will replace your Fender/Vox in terms of playing time? Have fun!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=BoneDigger;5973803]Here's a picture....

Wow! Congrats! Looks like you can have some fun with that!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! That looks like a lot of fun.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats Todd! Sounds like you found a great pair. My buddy had the Prophecy and I've played it a few times. Nice guitar. I've never played that Laney before but it's a great brand.

So, do you think this will replace your Fender/Vox in terms of playing time? Have fun!
Thanks Dru! No, not a replacement. This will only be for those times when I want a very specific sound.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone! As noted earlier, there was a very specific tone I wanted to shoot for and this combo gave me the closest I could get. I don't see this replacing my single coils or my Vox/Fender amps. It's a specific tone I was chasing with this.

Yes, I was aware of the cheaper version of the amp but I wanted to contribute to my local shop and since this amp worked for me and was locally available, I decided to go for it.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:56 PM

Congratulations on the new rig! Both guitar and amp look great! Enjoy!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
...I was aware of the cheaper version of the amp but I wanted to contribute to my local shop and since this amp worked for me and was locally available, I decided to go for it.
Actually I was thinking in terms of a backup and/or throw-in-the-car-trunk jam box, for when you want/need to leave the "good one" at home; may be pulling the trigger on one (or two) myself in the not-too-distant future for just that reason - about half the weight of my Bugera V22 (I'm not getting any younger), takes up less stage space for coffeehouse gigs/looks less imposing at mixed acoustic-electric jams, I know exactly which tweaks to make to achieve similar tone, and I think we both know that Murphy and his seven brothers have a way of showing up when least expected/wanted...

Besides, you can never have too many tube amps...
Old 02-09-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Actually I was thinking in terms of a backup and/or throw-in-the-car-trunk jam box, for when you want/need to leave the "good one" at home; may be pulling the trigger on one (or two) myself in the not-too-distant future for just that reason - about half the weight of my Bugera V22 (I'm not getting any younger), takes up less stage space for coffeehouse gigs/looks less imposing at mixed acoustic-electric jams, I know exactly which tweaks to make to achieve similar tone, and I think we both know that Murphy and his seven brothers have a way of showing up when least expected/wanted...

Besides, you can never have too many tube amps...
Nice post and congrats BoneDigger, that combination should provide a wall of sound for you.

I can’t tell you all the sense of liberation of handling a low 20 lb amp into the backseat of my truck - and the power of the little monster. Will always come in handy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars