The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Default Dead Flowers

The Album Sticky Fingers from the early 1970's is one of my favorites.. In fact it was the first record I ever bought (with my own money).

Dead Flowers is a classic song.. Perhaps a song about the change in social circles when "Musicians and Junkies" become "Rich and Famous" and mix with "ordinary" rich folks.

"Well I hope you don't see me with my ragged company"

and discuss drugs openly " I'll be in my basement room .. with a needle and a spoon"

Anyway.. Here's my Dead Flowers with Video.. yes video. But I'm not as interesting to watch like Jagger or Richards

Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Thumbs up

Great singing and playing! This is the first time I’m hearing this song and you did a good job. The J-45’s tone blended very well with your voice!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Great singing and playing! This is the first time I’m hearing this song and you did a good job. The J-45’s tone blended very well with your voice!
Thanks Cool555 .. Glad you like it!

Yes.. Love my J-45 .. It leaves an opening for my vocals to blend right in. Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Nice one Jake. You and I seem to have at least two things in common - a love of old Stones and a Spire Studio to take it out on. I play this song a lot and have recorded it as well. That’s where the similarities end, though - you can actually sing and you seem to have the recording thing a lot more together. I double track all of my “vocals” because two of me sounds marginally less worse than one of me - like an elementary school orchestra sort of hiding the warts of each individual player. And I’m just using the built in mic and effects to muddy it all up. I do get a pretty good electric guitar sound, plugging in direct from my amp’s nicely emulated line out.

No danger of me posting any of my stuff here, but it sure is fun to do anyway... A possible exception might be Dear Doctor, which I can sing almost as stupidly as Jagger and where the inability to sing might be a feature rather than a bug...

One question - how did you sync the recording and the video, if that’s what you did here?

-Ray
Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM

Thanks Ray!

I do love the Stones and hope to record more. I am working on a couple...

The Spire is a cool device... I think it's amazing actually because of it's simplicity and portability.

2 things that have hugely upped my game are the room treatment and the mic choice.
I bought the Mic on a whim after reading all the positives on it..

In addition, the Origin mic seems to easily "pickup" both the acoustic guitar and vocals simultaneously.

"One question - how did you sync the recording and the video, if that’s what you did here?" Ray

Answer..
1) I use a Samsung smartphone for video camera and Spire for the audio.
2) Before I begin playing/singing .. I clap my hands together ..Which I will then use in post production to identify the exact starting point.
3) Export both the Spire audio and phone's video each to my PC and use Reaper to sync the Audio and Video.

Hope this helps and Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Nice one Jake. You and I seem to have at least two things in common - a love of old Stones and a Spire Studio to take it out on. I play this song a lot and have recorded it as well. That’s where the similarities end, though - you can actually sing and you seem to have the recording thing a lot more together. I double track all of my “vocals” because two of me sounds marginally less worse than one of me - like an elementary school orchestra sort of hiding the warts of each individual player. And I’m just using the built in mic and effects to muddy it all up. I do get a pretty good electric guitar sound, plugging in direct from my amp’s nicely emulated line out.

No danger of me posting any of my stuff here, but it sure is fun to do anyway... A possible exception might be Dear Doctor, which I can sing almost as stupidly as Jagger and where the inability to sing might be a feature rather than a bug...

One question - how did you sync the recording and the video, if that’s what you did here?

-Ray
Old 01-23-2019, 05:54 PM

That was great..........and once again you have made me want a J45 realllly bad. Sounds great as did the vocals. I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing
Old 01-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Thanks Ray!

I do love the Stones and hope to record more. I am working on a couple...

The Spire is a cool device... I think it's amazing actually because of it's simplicity and portability.

2 things that have hugely upped my game are the room treatment and the mic choice.
I bought the Mic on a whim after reading all the positives on it..

In addition, the Origin mic seems to easily "pickup" both the acoustic guitar and vocals simultaneously.

"One question - how did you sync the recording and the video, if that’s what you did here?" Ray

Answer..
1) I use a Samsung smartphone for video camera and Spire for the audio.
2) Before I begin playing/singing .. I clap my hands together ..Which I will then use in post production to identify the exact starting point.
3) Export both the Spire audio and phone's video each to my PC and use Reaper to sync the Audio and Video.

Hope this helps and Thanks man!
Thanks. I guess I could work something like that with iMovie or something on the Mac. I'm not really concerned with video, but I was recently going through my phone and I have some quick and dirty videos on there just filmed with the iPhone and an Apogee Mic that frankly sound incredibly good. Better than what I've come up with on the Spire so far when I record both guitar and voice on the same track, same mic. Although that might be due to the effects I tend to use on the Spire. I may have to do some really clean recordings on the Spire and compare them to similar recordings done through the Apogee into my iPhone. But if I continue to like the Apogee recordings more, I might just record the basic track on that and then just record it clean to the Spire and then use the Spire for any additional tracks I want to put down. I don't know - I'll have to play around with it. I'm not really big on buying another mic given the purely recreational purpose of my recording, but I don't think there's anyway to plug a USB mic like the Apogee into the Spire with some sort of adapter. Would love it if there was...

Other Stones songs I play a lot and have messed around with recording a bit include Angie, Dear Doctor, Jigsaw Puzzle, Let it Loose, Loving Cup, Shine a Light, Sister Morphine, Some Girls, Sweet Virginia, Torn and Frayed, Wild Horses, You Got the Silver, and several others. When I was young and playing in bands, I used to love rocking out with Keef's open G stuff and now that I'm just a man-cave playing older guy, I love the stuff I can just strum and sing. Err, excuse me, "sing".

-Ray
Old 01-24-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
That was great..........and once again you have made me want a J45 realllly bad. Sounds great as did the vocals. I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing
Thanks Dave! Glad you enjoyed the song and I do really appreciate the kind words.

I do love my J-45 and it has quickly became my favorite guitar.
Bought it a couple years ago used. It's a 2008 model.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:22 AM

Jake, thank you for the pictures. I love the back on this one, you can actually see the wood, it's not painted black!! Do you know if the older ones were like that, or certain years. If I could find one with the natural back like yours it would be a big bonus. Is that a mahigany back or rosewood?????
Old 01-24-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Jake, thank you for the pictures. I love the back on this one, you can actually see the wood, it's not painted black!! Do you know if the older ones were like that, or certain years. If I could find one with the natural back like yours it would be a big bonus. Is that a mahigany back or rosewood?????

My J-45 was a limited edition model in 2008. It has Honduran mahogany for the back and sides and Madagascar rosewood fingerboard & bridge. The label is J-45 VOS. The description of this model states that this is a Gibson J-45 “TV” – which stands for True Vintage, which comes with the Adirondack “Red” Spruce top and prewar bracing, and then “VOS” which means “Vintage Original Spec” referring to the thinner nitro-cellulose lacquer finish that is not polished to a high luster – instead it looks like a late 1930s or early ‘40s guitar looks today.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:34 AM

Nice performance, Jake! The first time I heard that song was just a few years ago, performed by Townes Van Zandt at the end of the movie, The Big Lebowski. Townes could sing Happy Birthday! and make you cry, so thanks for more upbeat delivery!

Bourgeois OMS Walnut/Redwood
Bourgeois 00 Pao Rosewood/Italian
Taylor K16ce Fall Limited Koa/Cedar
Old 01-24-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No. 534 View Post
Nice performance, Jake! The first time I heard that song was just a few years ago, performed by Townes Van Zandt at the end of the movie, The Big Lebowski. Townes could sing Happy Birthday! and make you cry, so thanks for more upbeat delivery!
Thanks for your reply! Glad you liked my version too

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell