The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful. Congrats. Open G tuning?
Old 02-24-2019, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Wow... that is sweet! I like that. Can't wait to hear it.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:07 PM

Thanks, everyone!
I'll do some sound clips as we get into Spring, and will post them here.

Also updated my tone description in the OP after getting more time with it.
While it has that alive, excited, uniquely resonator attack (and digging-in delivers some expected punchiness)...the large/deep body adds lows and warmth, so that it could never be described as brash or nasal. It's got chime and harmonics that jump out, and sonorous chambery effect. I can't wait to share some clips!

My first two resonators were both wooden Nationals, one single/biscuit and one triple-cone. Very nice guitars, with some cool and inspiring tones--though at 3" deep, and with different cone mechanisms, they were very different animals compared to the Emerald (and compared to each other). They both weighed as much as the Emerald, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Beautiful. Congrats. Open G tuning?
I'm usually fingerpicking in D-standard (down a full step), with some various cut capos. I'll use open tunings when recording the occasional slide accompaniment bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
Holy! That looks amazing. I would love to see interior pictures if you ever have a look.
Of course I had to! Haha.
The interior is impressively clean.

I sent Alistair a gallery of traditional and non-traditional soundwells, and he crafted one of his own design. It's a somewhat more open soundwell, which I think helps take advantage of the deep/large body...it's closed about 1/3 of the way down, then very open with 5 support legs. It's fused to the top and the back.

Last edited by tommyld; 02-26-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:26 PM
Guest 928

That is so cool. Another perfect example of Alistair working with players to make a better instrument. The X15 is a bingo.

A banjo could be next. they are so heavy that playing one should be noted as a sport. I don't play banjo, but I know some players who would love a light-weight instrument.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:46 AM

As a resonator fan - wow. And a spider cone at that,cant wait to hear it.
Now you've got me thinking - a squareneck would be awesome! While I'm dreaming, a tri-cone squareneck....and a cf weissenborn...

Anyway, congrats, it looks terrific.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

Last edited by tdq; 02-26-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:40 PM

No soundclips til Spring (sorry), but I do have a pickup update!
(And because I'm not capable of writing short posts, it'll be essay length. Haha. I can't help it.)

I decided against a factory pickup for the reso. Over the years, I've had enough frustration with acoustic pickups, between tone and ease-of-use, to become a minimalist.

Aside from the common tonal struggles...I hate hard-to-reach batteries, wondering if I'm charged (props to Mi-Si's rechargeable system), battery bags banging around... (I've also had trouble getting the Lyric to stick long-term in my X20, and with the Lyric's control module sticking in my Savoy).
When I play live, the last thing I want to worry about is my pickup system failing me.

Most of all, I Grinch-level hate sympathetic-vibration rattles...almost all onboard preamps have disappointed me here, with either the preamp itself rattling or one of the many wires.

I usually opt for bridge plate transducers (I've installed many K&K, before switching to JJB), with good to great results...they need an "offboard" preamp, and often a fair amount of EQ...but at least they don't marry you to a format, or battery bags. And no rattling.

End of preamble.

The resonator adds a layer of challenge to guitar amplification. Most options require intensive mods and install work...new bridge inserts, wires being run along the spider bridge (close to the don't-touch-me cone), running out through the coverplate or through a precisely-drilled hole in the soundwell... All to try a pickup that might disappoint. :|

So I decided to look for an ultra-low-profile pickup...also humbucking (while I can enjoy single-coil tone on electric, I prefer my amplified acoustics to be hum-free/pure as possible). But that really narrows the options!

I'd previously tried Lace's Ultra Slim resonator humbucker on my National tricone...nice looking, not perfectly flat on the bottom, due to potting adding some thickness (which I had to sand away)...(tone's subjective, but) to me it sounded--well, magnetic--and also hollow, thin, lacking lows/meat...and no adjustable poles to correct the imbalance. It was okay, but didn't capture the instrument or inspire more than it frustrated/lacked.

Thankfully, I decided to look into Krivo (which I was aware of thanks to Emerald).
They responded quickly with measurements, to confirm that their Djangobucker would compliment the design of my Emerald.

Running into my Fishman Loudbox Artist...it captures the tone of the instrument exceptionally well. I've tried a range of magnetic pickups in the past--from good to great--but this is the most natural...the first with no tell-tale magnetic characteristics; it sounds like my guitar. That's impressive. It's nice to have pole pieces (I adjusted the bass ones up, treble down). It sounds good with very little amp EQ.

It's very microphonic--by design--which I think is key to its accuracy and naturalness (Krivo also makes a potted humbucker for less microphonics)...but I mention it because, of course, this isn't a pickup you want to be tapping / hitting with a pick. By extension, the first few inches of the cord is a bit microphonic...for live use (and because I'm very particular), I might come up with a sleeve of black felt/foam--or just a wire clip--to keep the cord from slapping against the edge of the body when I move. Others might choose to mount the pickup more permanently...it's good enough to, but I prefer to go acoustic most of the time.

Krivo suggests attaching with a very small amount of "sticky tack." I'm attaching it with Sewell Airlock suction tape, a rubbery material with micro-pores, which works super well (at least on my gloss finish). It detaches with a firm twist...an elegant option, and no risk of it falling off in performance. When not in use, I stick it to a square of pickguard material.

Anyway, happy to plug Krivo. If they devise an elegant option for soundhole-mounting, I bet they'll sell a ton.

Pics with two mounting locations:

Last edited by tommyld; 03-05-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyld View Post
No soundclips til Spring (sorry), but I do have a pickup update!
(And because I'm not capable of writing short posts, it'll be in essay form. It's my professional training; I can't help it.)

I decided against a factory pickup for the reso. Over the years, I've had enough frustration with acoustic pickups, between tone and ease-of-use, to become a minimalist.

Aside from the common tonal struggles...I hate hard-to-reach batteries, wondering if I'm charged (props to Mi-Si's rechargeable system), battery bags banging around... (I've also had trouble getting the Lyric to stick long-term in my X20, and with the Lyric's control module sticking in my Savoy).
When I play live, the last thing I want to worry about is my pickup system failing me.

Most of all, I Grinch-level hate sympathetic-vibration rattles...almost all onboard preamps have disappointed me here, with either the preamp itself rattling or one of the many wires.

I usually opt for bridge plate transducers (I've installed many K&K, before switching to JJB), with good to great results...they need an "offboard" preamp, and often a fair amount of EQ...but at least they don't marry you to a format, or battery bags. And no rattling.

End of preamble.

The resonator adds a layer of challenge to guitar amplification. Most options require intensive mods and install work...new bridge inserts, wires being run along the spider bridge (close to the don't-touch-me cone), running out through the coverplate or through a precisely-drilled hole in the soundwell... All to try a pickup that might disappoint. :|

So I decided to look for an ultra-low-profile pickup...also humbucking (while I can enjoy single-coil tone on electric, I prefer my amplified acoustics to be hum-free/pure as possible. But that really narrows the options!

I'd previously tried Lace's Ultra Slim resonator humbucker on my National tricone...nice looking, not perfectly flat on the bottom, due to potting adding some thickness (which I had to sand away)...(tone's subjective, but) to me it sounded--well, magnetic--and also hollow, thin, lacking lows/meat...and no adjustable poles to correct the imbalance. It was okay, but didn't capture the instrument or inspire more than it frustrated/lacked.

Thankfully, I decided to look into Krivo (which I was aware of thanks to Emerald).
They responded quickly with measurements, to confirm that their Djangobucker would compliment the design of my Emerald.

Running into my Fishman Loudbox Artist...it captures the tone of the instrument exceptionally well. I've tried a range of magnetic pickups in the past--from good to great--but this is the most natural...the first with no tell-tale magnetic characteristics; it sounds like my guitar. That's impressive. It's nice to have pole pieces (I adjusted the bass ones up, treble down). It sounds good with very little amp EQ.

It's very microphonic--by design--which I think is key to its accuracy and naturalness (Krivo also makes a potted humbucker for less microphonics)...but I mention it because, of course, this isn't a pickup you want to be tapping / hitting with a pick. By extension, the first few inches of the cord is a bit microphonic...for live use (and because I'm very particular), I might come up with a sleeve of black felt/foam--or just a wire clip--to keep the cord from slapping against the edge of the body when I move. Others might choose to mount the pickup more permanently...it's good enough to, but I prefer to go acoustic most of the time.

Krivo suggests attaching with a very small amount of "sticky tack." I'm attaching it with Sewell Airlock suction tape, a rubbery material with micro-pores, which works super well (at least on my gloss finish). It detaches with a firm twist...an elegant option, and no risk of it falling off in performance. When not in use, I stick it to a square of pickguard material.

Anyway, happy to plug Krivo. If they devise an elegant option for soundhole-mounting, I bet they'll sell a ton.

Pics with two mounting locations:
I use the Krivo reso pickup on my tricone and blend it with a Highlander Magnophonic pickup, the sound is amazing. And yes the Krivo is microphonic The biggest trick with the Krivo is the spacing between the guitar top and the strings, as it's pretty tight so I would go with the thinnest tape possible! I don't like the krivo butted up against the neck but closer to or on top of the coverplate as that's where it sounds best as you get a bit more clarity on the low strings. The coverplate on a tricone is flat. I tried pretty much every reso pickup out there and the Krivo and Flatbucker are my two favorite magnetics, with perhaps a slight edge to the flatbucker for tone, but they are both so good it's sixes.

Krivo...

Flatbucker...

Old 03-04-2019, 07:35 PM
Guest 928

There is a lot of interesting material in this thread. I look forward to further reports and some sound. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:11 PM

Default Resonator Sound Clips

I am also looking forward to hearing sound clips of your resonator when you are able to do so this spring. I recently recorded slide using an X20 but would have loved to been able to capture to sound of it as an X20 resonator!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber