The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-04-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

New issue cropped up today. I noticed over the weekend practicing at home that after recharging and plugging the wireless system back into the pedal and guitar that I had a pretty bad static. Not dropouts, just static. I figured maybe it was because I hadn't done the 'auto repairing' routine after charging so unplugged from the pedal and guitar and plugged them into each other and that cleared it up.

Practiced again today and did the auto repairing before using and it played fine for about 40 minutes then all of the sudden it started to have the bad static again. I'm a little disturbed that the issue cropped up AFTER doing the auto pairing. We're out in the woods, no one around us and it's just me, the wife (so our two mobile phones) and our WiFi, so not much in the way of excessive sources for interference. I've been using this system non-stop the last few weeks for home practice with no issues until now.

I'm not sure what was causing this but I shudder to think this could occur during a gig, so I'm more than a little bummed. It's starting to look like the $300 Sennheiser system might be the only alternative for live wireless.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
New issue cropped up today. I noticed over the weekend practicing at home that after recharging and plugging the wireless system back into the pedal and guitar that I had a pretty bad static. Not dropouts, just static. I figured maybe it was because I hadn't done the 'auto repairing' routine after charging so unplugged from the pedal and guitar and plugged them into each other and that cleared it up.

Practiced again today and did the auto repairing before using and it played fine for about 40 minutes then all of the sudden it started to have the bad static again. I'm a little disturbed that the issue cropped up AFTER doing the auto pairing. We're out in the woods, no one around us and it's just me, the wife (so our two mobile phones) and our WiFi, so not much in the way of excessive sources for interference. I've been using this system non-stop the last few weeks for home practice with no issues until now.

I'm not sure what was causing this but I shudder to think this could occur during a gig, so I'm more than a little bummed. It's starting to look like the $300 Sennheiser system might be the only alternative for live wireless.
It could also be an issue with your pickup? Maybe a shot of Deoxit contact cleaner could remedy the static? Or perhaps you have a dying 9v battery?
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 03-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
It could also be an issue with your pickup? Maybe a shot of Deoxit contact cleaner could remedy the static? Or perhaps you have a dying 9v battery?
No, because I swapped over to my other guitar with K&K and exact same thing. Definitely the wireless. Just weird that it's rather sudden after a few weeks.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:50 AM

I use the xvive and its been suprisingly reliably
and pretty excellent sounding. I Dont have the
popping issue described above. I say surprising because
The thing just seems rather cheaply built.
I usually leave a cord out for quick access just in case i need it.
The only issue I've had with it is That it doesnt work with an active
pickup. My bass was in the shop and at a gig
my band mate handed me his bass. We got this
funny whining static sound . His bass has an active
pickup. I read where they dont work well with
active pups.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Same here on both accounts - I always keep a cord handy and I got the whine with an active system guitar I had briefly. I thought about trying a second Xvive since I'm the only one that seems to have reported this issue so maybe mine is defective but decided to try the Boss instead. Going to do some more experimenting and then maybe return the Boss (still have time). Maybe try a second Xvive and if same pop then return that as well and bite the bullet and go Sennheiser. Since we gig we need reliable equipment!
Old 03-05-2019, 11:27 AM

One last trouble shooting idea- are you running direct to a board/amp or through any pedals etc. otherwise it’s either the wireless unit or the guitar. Sorry to hear your negative experiences!
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 03-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Still no problems for me with the BOSS WL20 and WL50. I have a Brian Moore with a piezo bridge and also a PRS Archtop with piezo system. Since both are active systems, I use an adapter (mono female to mono male) or one insert to a dual mono female to mono male y cable and plug the transmitter into either of those. That eliminates the whine from the active system TRS/TRS problem.

Otherwise I use the BOSS systems with my Taylors with K&K into ToneDexter and pedals with no problems.

Davidc
Old 03-08-2019, 07:10 AM

Ok- problem...
Played our regular gig last night at an Irish pub. This time, the "First Thursday" crowd was big and the place was pretty packed. I was running the mics into a PV6 mixer and using the WL50 to transmit to a BOSE S1 on a stand. I kept getting a high pitched intermittent "fizziness" for lack of a better way to describe it. It almost sounded like feedback but was not. I assumed it was 2.4 gig interference. I switched to a cable and it went away.

I had the WL20 from my Taylor into the ToneDexter and then out to a second S1. I took a break and came back and the receiver of the WL20 appeared to be dead. Both systems were fully charged. Again - went to a cable and it worked fine.

Maybe the Sennheiser?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Ok- problem...
Played our regular gig last night at an Irish pub. This time, the "First Thursday" crowd was big and the place was pretty packed. I was running the mics into a PV6 mixer and using the WL50 to transmit to a BOSE S1 on a stand. I kept getting a high pitched intermittent "fizziness" for lack of a better way to describe it. It almost sounded like feedback but was not. I assumed it was 2.4 gig interference. I switched to a cable and it went away.

I had the WL20 from my Taylor into the ToneDexter and then out to a second S1. I took a break and came back and the receiver of the WL20 appeared to be dead. Both systems were fully charged. Again - went to a cable and it worked fine.

Maybe the Sennheiser?
Looking more and more like that for me. I've practiced all week (alone) and no issues and I'll try the WL20 at the next gig which is a large outdoor food truck festival but in honesty the addition of the most recent static when practicing with just my wife in our isolated home, I'm inclined to just return it and pull the trigger on the Sennheiser. I just wish there was more customer feedback on the relatively new system. Aero's continued support of the system does bode well with where he lives though.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 AM

I use the U2 with my Taylor and have no noise issues, yet. The Taylor has active ES2 system. If you have high output pickups, they are like a gain stage preamp and can effect digital signals. My Yairi with an MIA pickup is potent and can almost push distion out of a amp. That coupled with a mixer mic preamp, I can see problems.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:09 AM

RD,
I get that but this is with K&K pickups - no preamp. The interference was most likely coming from external sources and using a cable eliminated the problem. Using it at home is flawless. Using it in rehearsal with my trio is also flawless. Put it into a crowded environment with lots of cell phones, etc seemed to be the culprit.
On the xVive and BOSS systems you need to use an interface like the mono adapter or one end of a mono y cable so the TRS aspect of the transmitter does not interfere with the TRS input of active pickups.
The interference is a very high pitched sound that has a digital quality to it. Don’t know how to better describe it.
Would like to hear from anyone using the Sennheiser system since it has gotten a good review here for use in crowded venues in NYC.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

I wanted to post a final update to this thread. The Boss WL20 system has been discontinued and now the Sennheiser system is getting an audition.

With the Boss my first failed test was an extremely busy trade show with hundreds of people so although I was disappointed I was not surprised. I then used it at a small venue gig and it worked great. But then issues started creeping in, even when used at home. I live in the woods, no one nearby so only interference is from mine and my wife's phones and/or our WiFi.

Dropouts or static occur even if either my phone or my wife's phone are in the same room and received calls, texts and other alerts. I use my phone on the mic stand right next to the receiver and unless I put it in Airplane mode, it caused dropouts on the Boss. But even having either phone in the same room cause them. Unacceptable, to say the least so I'm updating my review here and on Amazon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification