The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Gig Bag for A Martin D Jr

Hello Gang: I am looking to upgrade the gig bag for my travel guitar - a Martin D Jr 2. I used the search function but could not find any relevant threads. Does anyone know which size of the RoadRunner RR2 series fits this model. The Parlor version measures a tad too small and the OM a bit too large. Guitar Center has them at 50% right now, but they don't have them at the local store.

Any other suggestions for an upgraded gig bag for this model would be appreciated! I have considered a Guardian hard case that I know is a perfect fit. I really would prefer a good gig bag, though.

Thanks for your help and stay safe!
Old 02-21-2022, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin Dreadnought Junior padded gig bags

I know this is an old topic, and I've read several threads to try to find the answer to my question, but has anyone tried the Gator bags for small acoustics? They have one with roughly 0.4" of padding and one with roughly 0.8" of padding, models GBE-4G-MINIACOU and GB-4G-MINIACOU respectively. The dimensions look very close, but perhaps just a bit too snug for the Martin DJr. Anyone try them?
Old 02-21-2022, 11:28 AM

I purchased a small hard case for my Jr D, it was a little long on the body length. Width was just a little big, maybe 1/2 inch wider. So I purchased a piece of foam, made it into a sort of triangle to go from the end of the neck where it meets the body and up to the compartment that you store your strings and things.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I too purchased one of the cheap (?) hard cases off eBay, it works fine, but I prefer a gig bag too. I use the Martin one, but if you want something better, check with Access Bags. I use one of their OM size.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Gig Bag for A Martin D Jr

I purchased a Martin hard case for around 150$(3-4years ago). It fits like a glove. Obviously much heavier than the gig bag.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:11 PM

I reached out to Sweetwater to ask what size Gator would fit aYamaha FS. He knew immediately. Worth a shot for the DJR. For the FS, which is a bit bigger than the Martin, they recommended the classical size. Fits like a glove.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:30 AM

Sweetwater set me up with a Martin case for my DJR. Fits perfectly.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

I really wish there was a hybrid type case/bag available too, but dont think there is. (Like a taylor aerocase)

I have used a Gator transit soft case, but even with the inserts, its really too loose for any serious protection.

Th3 martin optional dred-jr case fits like a glove, but its a hard case, and heavier than I prefer.

Im following this thread as well. Hoping Mono designs a small body bag to fit

Edit: the Mono website fitting guide specifically lists the Dred-jr for its OM/classical case. May give it a try.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

Last edited by dnf777; 02-22-2022 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:25 AM

I am using the Martin hard case. I also use, when I travel a standard flight case. They are easy to find. You simply cut the foam as needed and off you go.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Since I already have a hard case, and am looking for a light weight upgrade to the Martin gig bag, I took a chance and ordered a Gator 4G Series Gig Bag for Mini Acoustics for my new-to-me Martin DJr. Based on GC's published dimensions for the gig bag, the GC rep thought it should fit. I'll post the outcome in a few days when it arrives.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Sadly the nicely padded Gator gig bag did not work out. It seemed to be well made and had a full length zipper unlike my Martin DJr gig bag. All dimensions were perfect except the depth. It was advertised on the site where I purchased it as having a 4.5" max body depth, but after checking Gator's site, it turned out to only be 3.5" deep. No wonder it didn't fit. I could not zip up the last six inches over the lower bout. I have a first generation Martin DJr which has a little deeper (+3/8") lower bout than the newer DJr10s.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:43 AM

My original Dreadnaught Jr fits VERY nicely in this Gator 4G gig bag for mini acoustic guitars. I bought the bag in 2016 and have no complaints whatsoever.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...=%204g&index=4
Old 02-28-2022, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelinus View Post
My original Dreadnaught Jr fits VERY nicely in this Gator 4G gig bag for mini acoustic guitars. I bought the bag in 2016 and have no complaints whatsoever.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...=%204g&index=4
Thanks. It has the same UPC code as the Gator bag that I just sent back to GC. It must be the same gig bag, however, I notice the dimensions at MF also show 4.5" body depth whereas the Gator website shows 3.5" deep for the same gig bag.

https://www.gatorcases.com/products/...b-4g-miniacou/

I suppose I could have really pressed down on the guitar to get the zipper to close, but that didn't feel right. Very strange.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post

I suppose I could have really pressed down on the guitar to get the zipper to close, but that didn't feel right. Very strange.
FWIW - While my guitar fits snugly, I really don't need to apply much pressure to zip the case.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

This one is good

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Area-Cl...s%2C141&sr=8-5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion