The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-13-2021, 03:08 AM

Incredibly saddening news... My deepest condolences to his wife, daughters and family. I've had the privilege of playing and commissioning a few of his guitars. He will be dearly missed in the world of music & guitars, and in the lives of his friends & family. May you rest in peace Tom [emoji1317]

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-13-2021, 06:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have admired his work for a long time and had hoped to meet him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and daughters. Very sad. Steve’s comments about Tom’s voice living on was a beautiful reflection.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

This is a loss to our community that will take a great deal of time to heal. My favorite memories of Tom are sharing neighboring booths at many guitar shows, meeting his lovely family and our lengthy phone conversations about geeky guitar building stuff. Tom called me with questions about attending Ervin's voicing class of which I encouraged him to go. I'm glad we had that talk because Tom's guitars made a huge transformation afterwards as I am sure many of you can attest to.

Prayers and grace to your family my friend...
Old 10-13-2021, 06:31 AM

I (unfortunately) caught this is Jason Kostal's IG post yesterday evening. I have always admired Tom's work as being at the very pinnacle of acoustic guitar building. I've always been particularly impressed with his fine purfling work and the split backstraps he used on the backs of his headstocks.

It's nice to see all of the posts detailing what a wonderful person Tom was. Further to his memory living on with his family, I hope that it also lives on in the many fine instruments out there in the world that will continue to sing for many, many years to come. While passing at Tom's age is certainly tragic, having something out in this world that will continue to live on and cause new people to learn who he was what a fine reputation he had for creating bespoke and wonderful instruments will continue his legacy.

I know that there is at least one custom build in progress in this forum right now. I hope that Kenny is able to get this guitar continued - which I understand had just gone for finishing. The Kevin Gallagher thread that had recently bumped comes to mind and I hope that whatever instruments that are left will be completed, perhaps as some finishing point in Tom's legacy as a builder.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I just learned of this news on Kathy Wingert’s FB page. So sad to hear. I met him once briefly at a guitar festival years back and have heard nothing but good things about him as a person and as a luthier. For all here who knew him, my heart goes out to you. RIP, Tom and condolences to his family.
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-13-2021, 08:37 AM

Very sad. I had exchanged a few emails to spec something out to order next year.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:06 AM

I really don't know how to react to this terrible news!! Tom and I have been long distance friends from 2007.

I have no words and can only imagine what his family must be going through!

I got to know from an FB post this morning and I had to read and reread it to grasp the news!

RIP my beautiful friend Tom Doerr. I hope to meet you somewhere!
Old 10-13-2021, 09:11 AM

That's terrible. Way to young. Sorry for your loss and condolences to family and friends.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:22 AM

This sucks. I didn’t know him, but I suppose through admiring his instruments and the skills employed in making them, perhaps I do know him a bit for my part. I’m heartbroken for his family. If there’s a support fund in the works I’d like to know about it.

Rest In Peace.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 10-13-2021, 09:50 AM

Tom was a good friend and a helluva guy. And maybe the most talented maker out there. Very, very sad new for the community. FH
Old 10-13-2021, 09:52 AM

This is shocking news.

My first guitar was a Doerr. I talked to Tom a few times on the phone and exchanged many emails with him. He made a few custom saddles for me, hardly charged anything.

I'll never forget the quality and care he put into that instrument.

Best wishes to his family and close friends.

Last edited by xzy; 10-13-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

I first met Tom at The Artisan Guitar Show in 2018. I had long admired his guitars, and one of my big reasons for driving up from North Carolina to the Pennsylvania show was because Tom would be displaying there. Over the next few days I got to know Tom, his guitars and his beautiful wife Alisa and their three daughters.

We had an instant connection and I asked Tom to build me a guitar. I also invited him to be a part of our Luthiers Exhibit during Guitar Week of the 2019 Swannanoa Gathering.

The next summer, as Tom was driving down from Michigan to North Carolina, he experienced a medical issue that put him in the hospital for an extended period. When I let the camp know why Tom wouldn’t be coming, folks opened up their hearts and their wallets, and through their generosity we were able to raise several thousand dollars to help defray some of his medical bills.

He eventually made a full recovery and was scheduled to be part of the Luthiers Exhibit again in 2021 and 2022. We talked guitars several times over the phone in the last year and he seemed to be his old self.

I’m heartbroken at this news and filled with sympathy and compassion for his girls Alisa, Isabel, Anna and little Aleah. How hard and unfair is sorrow.

The guitar Tom built for me is magnificent, and I will think of him whenever I play it.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Just found out. Devastating news. I've had a lot of conversations with Tom over the years and met him at a couple guitar shows -- he was a wonderful person. I can't stop thinking about how hard this is gonna be for his wife and kids. He went way before his time.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Tom and I were discussing a build which would start in a little over a year, and had settled on many of the specifics of a Trinity Signature. I am so saddened by this news…

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-19-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Very sad news, such a nice guy. We exchanged many emails/phone calls. He was always helpful. RIP Tom and condolences to his family.

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop