The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-21-2022, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I did a simple demo video of how to create "backing tracks" using a looper if anyone has an interest:

This is an excellent video showing the whole process, thank you.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:39 AM

I envy you guys who can use these loopers. I had an old Boomarang years ago, but it was just too sensitive and I don't want to try another .I 've seen guys play out live with them and they just go on forever noodling around with the same chords ... and don't get me started on those vocal harmonizer pedals.I know a guy who talks thru that thing without turning off ...weird.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I envy you guys who can use these loopers. I had an old Boomarang years ago, but it was just too sensitive and I don't want to try another . I've seen guys play out live with them and they just go on forever noodling around with the same chords ... and don't get me started on those vocal harmonizer pedals.I know a guy who talks thru that thing without turning off ...weird.
That's what gave loopers such a bad name. I don't use one live, but there are folks that do it tastefully.

Watch Ed Sheeran to see how someone can tastefully (and creatively) use a looper for live performance.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:14 PM

Default Aeros

My favorite thing to do with my Aeros looper is to create a rhythmic pattern on my doublenecked acoustic guitar typically by a muted slap on the strings near the bridge. The rhythm is typically a series of short two bar patterns where I overdub two or three rhythm parts. Then play the guitar. I may add another overdub, or after I switch instruments, typically my Chapman Stick, I'll sometimes add another short rhythm part before I start on the second instrument. In some cases I may delete the previous overdub to change the rhythm pattern.

I like the Aeros so I can also do longer loops that go beyond what my Line6 Helix or Stomp can do. I may at times use an Ebow to add in more sonic textures. Long ago I attended a seminar with Phil Keaggy, who advised keeping the loops short. So when doing longer loops, it takes some thought to not loose the audience. The latest update to the Aeros now does fade in and fade out which is a nice way to end a loop and not sound too robotic.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I use a EHX 720 looper in my live shows. I use it 3 different ways.

-for a phrase to be brought in and out in different parts of a song.
-for a rhythmic track, ie. slaps on guitar or strings
-for a chord pattern that I'll loop while singing, so I can solo over it at the appropriate part of the song.

I do all my loops live, nothing is pre-recorded, and I don't do any endless noodling loops, that'll just bore people.

The looper is an essential piece of gear for me.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-25-2022, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the further contributions!

As the title of this topic implies, we're looking for as many creative ways to use a looper as possible.

The examples given already support the idea that the looper isn't just a "one trick pony". It can be used in a wide variety of ways, so keep those cards and letters coming!
Old 05-10-2023, 10:43 AM

Just wanted to say you sound lovely. COngrats!
Old 05-10-2023, 01:39 PM

Outside of my guitars, my Boss RC-50 is my main songwriting tool.

I'll start with some kind of rhythm track with the guitar on track 1. I'll then put some percussive work on track 2, which may include a shaker, chime, wood block, guiro, rain stick, etc. Internal mics are my friend.

3 is used for lead tracks, either for overdubbing or automatic overwrite so it doesn't get too out of hand. It is fun to solo over your previous track and harmonize with it.

I'll bring in various delays on my acoustic board, and just added an octave pedal to change the tones a bit.

Right now I have my signal chain starting with either my C-05 or Taylor 310CE. Fishman Rare Earth mic blend pickups are in both instruments. That runs out to a VPJR, and then a Boss DD-6. Following the DD-6 is a Flashback 2, Walrus Slo, and TC Electronic SubNUp mini. Then comes my RC-50 and finally another VPJR.
2000 Walnut/Purpleheart/Bol RW "Les Paul"
98 Larrivée C-05 sitka/mahogany florentine.
95 Breedlove SC Cedar/EIRW
Bedell TBCE-18-G

Daedalus Audio C81
Rane AP13
Genz Benz Shenandoah 100
Fishman Loudbox 100 & Acoustic Performer Pro
Boss RC-50
Old 05-10-2023, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I have a Boss RC-505, the original, not the MKII. I bought it used/mint recently. It has the V2.0 manual along with the original manual and the most recent firmware already installed. This is a desktop looper.

My use for it, and the reason I am posting in this thread about it is that my use might be a bit unique. I use it for learning purposes. The new MKII model has apparently dropped what, for me, would be its most important feature - the stereo 1/8" AUX jack.

I plug my big Samsung S8 Ultra tablet audio output into that AUX jack so I can watch guitar teaching videos while my guitar is plugged into the RC-505 and all that through headphones so I don't disturb my wife and she doesn't disturb me when she is watching TV. It is like being in a different room even when w are in the same room.

One of the most universal pieces of advice people give regarding practice is to record yourself. I find messing with trying to get a reasonable recording to be a bit of a hassle, so the RC-505 is easy. All I have to do is punch one of those big buttons and play. Simple and I get to hear what I did immediately. I don't worry about levels or noise, I just record and play with the immediacy of a looper.

If I want to control these functions with my feet, all I have to do is plug in a Boss FS-6 double pedal and set the pedal function to Start/Stop and Record/Play. That is very easy to do. I have done it and now I can use either my feet or hands.

There are 5 tracks on it and plenty of recording time so I can do multiple takes and compare them - one on each track. It makes the whole process in practice immediate and simple. I work on arranging and playing solo guitar stuff, so I have little need to lay down a track and play along with it.

Since I don't hear folks talking about this particular approach, I felt it worth while to mention in case anybody else finds it worth considering. Instead of asking somebody else how they think my arrangement sounds, I can listen critically and continue tweaking and trying on other tracks.

Just remember that to do this right, you have to find a used RC-505 and not the new MK-II.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-11-2023, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the further contributions!

It's apparent that there's a diverse field of looper users out there, and it's good to examine the way that they are used for personal and performance endevours.

It's intertesting to read about how some are using the "tabletop loopers", which can be used in other ways when compared to pedal format loopers.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm one of those guys that loves the idea of a looper but has yet to actually been able to incorporate it into actual use. In fact, you could say that up until now they way I use a looper is as follows: See others creating awesomeness with their looper, buy a looper, try to use the looper, fail, sell the looper!
This is me too! ^^^^
Old 05-11-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
This is me too! ^^^^
It ain't rocket surgery!

Seriously, it's usually not difficult to get basic looping under your belt. Watching a few "How to loop" Youtube videos is often helpful.

Looking at the number of views this topic has logged indicates that there's a lot of interest in looping, or at least the IDEA of looping!
Old 05-11-2023, 05:51 PM

Tap on ONE to start, then tap on ONE again to stop/end. Done.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 05-20-2023, 02:26 AM

Jarle Bernhoft knows his way around a looper.

https://youtu.be/be-VK__AB2k

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 05-20-2023, 06:56 AM

A co-worker gave me his BOSS Looper. I'm a multi-instrumentalist that used to do solo gigs. I thought I'd try laying down a bass beat, then a guitar boom-chuck, then mandolin chop. Then I would play fiddle breaks over it.

But I found trying to master the timing to get all these parts in synch was like learning another instrument. My "one man bluegrass band" act was never stage ready. And I do really enjoy playing with others anyway. I haven't pulled the Looper out in a long time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification