The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-15-2018, 06:53 AM

Default Tips for leads

Does anyone have any really good documentation for learning to play leads, I have a lot of experience but i have mostly been playing acoustic guitar so im very rusty and want to get back into playing some electric. I know my major and minor scales as well as pentatonic. My style is more modern with some jazz influence but i was never a strong jazz player. I find some stuff online but i feel like it doesnt necessarily help with voicing and such. Also my fingers arent that fast either i play more clean than fast as my one guitar teacher told me thats more important than shredding.
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

HERE is a little paper I wrote on the art of soloing. In it I look at the solo from the standpoint of a composer and think of it as a composition.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 AM

You could try scat-singing a "guitar solo" into a recorder, and then learning to play what you sang.

Bob's article has this interesting bit - "I’ve also found that some songs seem to cry out for pre-arranged leads, while others demand raw improvisation. For example, the blues demand the latter: I find it uncomfortable to do pure blues without freshly improvising the solos."

Here's a blues -- well, a caucasian, suburban, Presbyterian attempt at a blues -- where I did the "raw improvisation" by singing the thing, and then sat down and learned to play it. In Edison terms, 20 seconds of inspiration followed by 20 minutes of perspiration. But then again, Bob's a very good player while I'm more of an... "editor."

The solo's at around 1:40.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 08-15-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
HERE is a little paper I wrote on the art of soloing. In it I look at the solo from the standpoint of a composer and think of it as a composition.

Bob

Excellent !!

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
JBL EON ONE Compact
iPad with OnSong

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 08-15-2018, 09:03 AM

Julian Lage recommends an exercise in which you choose a note near the nut, then another high up (or the other way around); repeat, adding an extra note somewhere in between every repetition or two, and try to keep it melodic.

Practicing with a looper pedal is also good. Not just noodling over a chord progression, but layering simple loops and trying to keep it going as long as you can.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write