The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-12-2018, 04:05 PM

Sorry, I'm trying to insert an image, and can't seem to make it happen.
I know I've come in late on this topic, but it relates to a guitar I'm going to finish soon.
It also is a piece of mahogany that apparently has grain runout, and is very beautiful. The back is in an arrowhead pattern that someone here has described, and I am looking for ways to finish so as to make this grain pattern pop out more, as it is kinda subtle to begin with. I really like a level finish, but am afraid of hiding it by pore filling. Or are there pore fills that will make it more obvious?
I have done sawdust / shellac pore fill before on mahogany, and liked the way it worked, but it was under an opaque finish and the grain was not very clear, and was nothing to brag about anyway.
I really love the grain pattern on the piece I'm going to do, and want to hand pad a shellac finish, but that's not chiseled in stone...
While I figure out how to upload pics, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
BTW, as far as upload goes, I'm working from an Ipad, and have the AGF app, which I'm using now,but can't find an upload link...
Old 08-12-2018, 06:08 PM

Think I may have it here...
Old 08-13-2018, 08:19 AM

You have angled ribbon stripe, which is different from the OP mahogany. In your case, the grain actually is parallel with the center seam.
For finish clarity, I seal the wood before applying a water base opaque pore filler. That keeps the filler from obscuring the grain. If you are staining the mahogany, do that before sealing.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:19 PM

Thanks for your answer, John.
I'm actually still open as to the finish, although I don't really want to stain it any darker. I have several different shades of shellac, and thought about darkening it somewhat with one of those...if I go that route. I've been wanting to try a TruOil finish on a guitar too. Done a gunstock several years ago with that, and it turned out great.
Do you have a particular brand of pore fill in mind that you would use on this?
I'm familiar with the sawdust/shellac method, and it worked good for me before, but I'm afraid of hiding the grain on this. Or will it matter that much here? When done before, it was under an opaque finish, and you really couldn't see it, or tell. Never tried any of those other fillers, but I'm open to suggestions on anything.
Thanks again for your time...any tips or other thoughts on this is much appreciated.

Last edited by Gribb; 08-13-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 PM

This re-top was finished with platina shellac, only. No stain or filler. Just lots of shellac coats and wet (oil) sanding until filled. My time is free for my projects.

Shown "off the pad" in pic:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-13-2018, 02:38 PM

Wow! That's lookin' great!
That definitely took many coats for platina to make it that dark, but I like it!
Will you finish this out gloss or satin? Either way is acceptable to me as long as it is level. I do love a level finish...
Old 08-13-2018, 03:01 PM

It's looking pretty much finished to me. A naphtha wipe to remove olive oil and maybe a light polish. It's a 1940 0-17 player with side and end block patches.

Some of my guitars I just leave "off the pad". They get beat up soon enough anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair