The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-06-2020, 06:01 AM
Music soothes the soul!

You get to build a guitar and spend a week with some of the sweetest people on the planet! Not to mention the good eats. Wow! How does it get better than that? Not possible! Congrats and thanks for sharing the experience with us. Appreciate you.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Hey Vasu, thank you for sharing this dream "hands-on"guitar build. That wood combination looks great and working under the supervision of Steve and Ryan I'm sure the sound will match. I look forward to seeing your guitar under finish and the final bit of work complete.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
You get to build a guitar and spend a week with some of the sweetest people on the planet! Not to mention the good eats. Wow! How does it get better than that? Not possible! Congrats and thanks for sharing the experience with us. Appreciate you.
Thank you Dennis! I referenced Field of Dreams already so one more can't hurt. I think Steve and Ryan have put Nacogdoches in a strong running for heaven alongside Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Hey Vasu, thank you for sharing this dream "hands-on"guitar build. That wood combination looks great and working under the supervision of Steve and Ryan I'm sure the sound will match. I look forward to seeing your guitar under finish and the final bit of work complete.
Thanks Doug! We should definitely meet up once the guitar is finished I'd love to get your opinion of it and hear you play it.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Tucrensis back (this picture doesn't do it justice)
I does for those of us who have seen Tucrensis after finish is applied. That is a beautiful wood set! I am anticipating the finished product with great expectations.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

I want to thank everyone for the kind words, and the uplifting support shown during this whirlwind experiment. Vasu was a lot of fun to have in our shop, and really seemed to enjoy himself. As a real plus, he was able to build a fine instrument that should reward him for years to come.

Thanks for your confidence in our shop,Vasu, and here's hoping the next project, the 12-string, becomes a reality!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-06-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I does for those of us who have seen Tucrensis after finish is applied. That is a beautiful wood set! I am anticipating the finished product with great expectations.
Thank you it'll feel like an eternity but I am very optimistic that this will be a stunning guitar in every aspect.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
I want to thank everyone for the kind words, and the uplifting support shown during this whirlwind experiment. Vasu was a lot of fun to have in our shop, and really seemed to enjoy himself. As a real plus, he was able to build a fine instrument that should reward him for years to come.

Thanks for your confidence in our shop,Vasu, and here's hoping the next project, the 12-string, becomes a reality!

Steve
Many thanks Steve to yourself, Ryan, and Billie for this opportunity. Memories were made that will not be forgotten (Braveheart!). I can't wait to return to finish this and have a truly one of a kind instrument that will be with me not for years but for my lifetime. Others may come and go but this will be passed down as a heirloom.

Until then, I'll start plotting the details next year: build #2 - the epic 12 string!
Old 09-06-2020, 11:19 PM

I somehow missed these from yesterday, my apologies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Fantastic!

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

I had a similar experience a few years ago with Jay Lichty and chronicled each day for Fretboard Journal.

Again, thanks for sharing your journey with us.
You're more than welcome John. I read your story on FBJ and was envious. I'm lucky to now have an experience of my own. I hope you are well my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
That was a terrific thread and what a wonderful experience! The guitar looks incredible. Excellent job by all.
Thank you Haasome. It has truly been a special experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Thanks for letting us look over your shoulder as you progressed through the build.... I suspect that it has forever altered your perspective on guitars...
Bob, to say this is the least I can do for all that you've contributed here is an understatement of epic proportions. Actually I thought of your build threads when documenting the progress I hope I did it justice! As you know from our emails I respect this craft and all that is involved in making these wonderful instruments. This experience has not only reaffirmed that but shed light on a fountain of new material and knowledge to reflect on going forward.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Wow--what a ride!

Congrats and thanks for taking us along on your journey!

Really looking forward to seeing and hearing this beauty after finish and setup!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 09-07-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpolineni View Post
Many thanks Steve to yourself, Ryan, and Billie for this opportunity. Memories were made that will not be forgotten (Braveheart!). I can't wait to return to finish this and have a truly one of a kind instrument that will be with me not for years but for my lifetime. Others may come and go but this will be passed down as a heirloom.

Until then, I'll start plotting the details next year: build #2 - the epic 12 string!
Congratulations! That’s a bit ambitious! Building a 6 string is hard enough, worrying that you’ll either make it overbuilt or under built and in danger of imploding on itself under the stress. When you set out to build a 12 string I imagine the line between the two is even thinner.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 09-07-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

You're living the dream of many others .... what a great experience!

I'm not sure if I would be able to trust myself to handle Lucky Strike if I did something like this. True courage displayed!
Old 09-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Smile I second Hanter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post

I'm not sure if I would be able to trust myself to handle Lucky Strike if I did something like this. True courage displayed!
I agree.

Way to go! Thanks for sharing this inspiring thread.

Stay well and enjoy it when it finally comes back from Tony the Finish Wizard!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-07-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--what a ride!

Congrats and thanks for taking us along on your journey!

Really looking forward to seeing and hearing this beauty after finish and setup!
Thanks for following. You touched upon another aspect I'm eager to learn about, the final setup. Day 7 will be spent going over this which as we all know can make or break an instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Congratulations! That’s a bit ambitious! Building a 6 string is hard enough, worrying that you’ll either make it overbuilt or under built and in danger of imploding on itself under the stress. When you set out to build a 12 string I imagine the line between the two is even thinner.
I have the same suspicion as you and will be definitely thinking about that as I learn from Steve and Ryan. It's such a fine line between maintaining structural integrity and making as responsive a guitar as possible. I find that juxtaposition utterly fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post

Thanks Hanter. I can't stress this enough, I would never have chosen a LS top if I were doing this on my own. I only selected it because I knew that I would be in good hands and wanted to take advantage of that using great materials. With that said I sure was nervous tapering the braces flush to the top with the chisel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I agree.

Way to go! Thanks for sharing this inspiring thread.

Stay well and enjoy it when it finally comes back from Tony the Finish Wizard!!!

Paul
Thanks Paul I'm glad that you are well and don't have to move from the area with everything going on.

One curveball thrown in is that I'm not going with Tony as Steve and Ryan usually do. The neck and body will be sent to Addam Stark for nitro. Both are excellent and each has its merits. I really couldn't have gone wrong either way but ultimately chose nitro over poly.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:35 AM

What a fun build you took us through Vasu! Congrats on that beauty, I'm sure she will sing as sweetly as she looks.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:24 PM

That is going to be beautiful.

And the Lucky Strike redwood, shaped under the tutelage of Kinnaird Guitars will sound exquisite.

I hope we get some audio when it's finished.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop