The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-19-2020, 12:55 AM

Question Fender Strat Pickup's size

I wonder if all these pickups are the same size ?
I am considering replacing the factory pickups in my Squier Mini Strat with some others.
Thank you.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:24 AM

I believe the body size is the same on the strat mini. I don’t see why fender would make different size pickups for the mini.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I believe the body size is the same on the strat mini. I don’t see why fender would make different size pickups for the mini.

The body isn’t the same size (at least, our Mini isn’t). That said, I believe the pickups are the same size. My Strat is in for a service and setup so can’t check against the Mini just now though...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-19-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winblows View Post
I wonder if all these pickups are the same size ?
I am considering replacing the factory pickups in my Squier Mini Strat with some others.
Thank you.
Also take a look at the routing on the mini, just to be on the safe side, to ensure it's deep enough in there to take a standard pickup. I agree with the others that the mini probably has standard pickups, but you really never know: I've been surprised on this exact point before. In fact, I'd assume that anything on a Squier is different until I'd confirmed that it isn't.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
The body isn’t the same size (at least, our Mini isn’t). That said, I believe the pickups are the same size. My Strat is in for a service and setup so can’t check against the Mini just now though...
My thoughts as well. It's possible that the pickguards my be different though, including where the screw holes are located.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:32 AM

Default ... hmmm ...

I appreciate the interest in my question. I'd like to avoid to buy a full size Squier Strat just to get the answer to the question
Well... I'll try to ask someone through the Fender web site...
Thanks to all.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
My thoughts as well. It's possible that the pickguards my be different though, including where the screw holes are located.

I think you’re right, the pick guard does look slightly smaller. I’m pretty sure the hard tail bridge and the pups are regular size though.

On a side note, a few months ago we got tired of the utter junk that are the stock tuners (we have the original Mini with the classic Strat output jack; the new version has a Tele-style output on the side of the body instead of the top and better tuners). We handed it into our tech who swapped them out for a set of vintage style tuners and it transformed our relationship with the guitar: it’s a lovely instrument we love playing!

The stock pickups on ours are actually pretty good, quite high output for being single coils on a cheap guitar. The general build quality is good.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars