The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-18-2020, 06:06 AM

Default Anniversary of Jimi Hendrix death

Today marks 50 years since the death of Jimi Hendrix. I was never a huge fan but have grown to appreciate his playing and his contribution to guitar music.

As to the “Greatest” title? I don’t know....
Old 09-18-2020, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

50 years... wow. I stay away from discussions of "the greatest," but I particularly enjoyed his stuff that was kinda blues-based. Certainly an excellent guitarist and I still like his music.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:27 AM

Jimi's contribution to guitar is huge. One of the biggest influencers ever. I started listening (and playing) to Jimi in the late 80s when I was in High School. Played Purple Haze in a band at that time... like most every other electric guitarist did.

RIP Jimi.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

I tend to stay away from "the greatest" also, but I'll definitely go with "nobody greater". I just figure there are a small number of players who hit a transcendent level that most of us will never even sniff. Among those, who's the GREATEST is largely a matter of personal taste and preference. And he was definitely in that group at the very top. Enormously influential by any measure, largely re-wrote the language of the electric guitar in ways that are still really important 50 years later.

-Ray
Old 09-18-2020, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Just 27 years old. Such a shame.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Oh I remember that awful news.

I knew Mitch Mitchell slightly - I met him when he was a Saturday boy at the Jim Marshall shop in Ealing, and I took him along to one or two of our gigs, to try to pass on what Charlie Watts did for me (I didn't realise at the time that he was older than me).

I never had the opportunity to see them play as every time they were playing in our area, our gigs clashed.

I didn't even go to the Isle Of Wight festival in August 1970 - I reckon I was about the only 22 year old left in London that weekend!

So it was even more of a personal loss to me to hear of his passing 18 days later.

I only realised recently that Noel died in 2003 aged 57, and Mitch died in 2008 aged 62.

Strange days.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Just 27 years old. Such a shame.
Part of the infamous 27 club.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:31 PM

Strange Australian connection.

FORMER Australian Greens leader Bob Brown has sought to clarify, once and for all, his role in the death of rock legend Jimi Hendrix in London in September 1970.

He was then a resident doctor at St Mary Abbot's hospital when Hendrix's body was brought in, he told the National Press Club in Canberra yesterday.

"He had been dead for some hours," Senator Brown said.

"He'd had a bit too much to drink and whatever else and had inhaled vomitus."

He said another Australian doctor signed the musician's death certificate while he went off to look after a patient who had fallen under a train but was still alive.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-18-2020, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I tend to stay away from "the greatest" also, but I'll definitely go with "nobody greater". I just figure there are a small number of players who hit a transcendent level that most of us will never even sniff. Among those, who's the GREATEST is largely a matter of personal taste and preference. And he was definitely in that group at the very top. Enormously influential by any measure, largely re-wrote the language of the electric guitar in ways that are still really important 50 years later.

-Ray
I totally agree with you!
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-18-2020, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I was stunned when I heard the news. And just as that reality began to sink in, Janis Joplin died just a few weeks later. Two legends indeed.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:11 PM

For much of this century I've marked this day by plugging in an electric guitar and turning the amp up loud.

So today I worked out heavy drum track in Logic Pro's drummer, picked up one of my basses and laid down a bass line groove to lock in with it and then I played my reverse Stratocaster with the upside down neck and reverse slanted bridge pickup into an old Line6 modeled Marshall over that loop. All of this was on headphones, since my teenager was home remote learning and my wife needs to rest after a day in health care work.

While I admire the slower more subtle Hendrix, those Curtis Mayfield chords and such, that's not a style I can approach for whatever reason. What I play on September 18th tends to be more an approximation of the live jamming excess element his work. Frankly, I'm still mad that he died, and that's what I feel on this day, and that enters into my playing as a remembrance.

It was not the same without being able to work with the amp speaker cone moving in the air and the resulting guitar feedback interaction with that, but I was still following my tradition. I played for about an hour until my high E string didn't take kindly to a repeated extreme bend and snapped.

After I put everything away I checked in with my wife sitting and reading. I told her "It's getting harder to do that at my age. Maybe that's why Hendrix did live into his Seventies."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-19-2020, 07:49 AM

Jimi’s use of triads and inverse chords to creat melodious passages is a thing of beauty. It wasn’t exactly new, but uncommon and he took it to a level that has been emulated ever since.
My contextual ratings of “greatest guitar players” is almost always predicated on creativity. Jimi holds his own place in that regard and it’s a pretty darn exclusive club.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-19-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Jimi’s use of triads and inverse chords to creat melodious passages is a thing of beauty. It wasn’t exactly new, but uncommon and he took it to a level that has been emulated ever since.
My contextual ratings of “greatest guitar players” is almost always predicated on creativity. Jimi holds his own place in that regard and it’s a pretty darn exclusive club.
Agreed.

The ground breakers and pioneers are few and far between. They are usually the ones that didn't learn or play the guitar in a standard sort of way. Their style is taught from then on and known by their name.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-19-2020, 10:43 PM

He kicked butt on his live albums. I also love the BBC Sessions CD, especially Killing Floor on that one.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
He kicked butt on his live albums. I also love the BBC Sessions CD, especially Killing Floor on that one.
Yes. Killing Floor. What a great recording!

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic