The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-04-2016, 03:28 PM

Default The next step, Zoom H5 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

I've had Zoom H2 for a few years, but I'm wanting to upgrade.
I only play fingerstyle instrumental stuff. No singing.
I like the Zoom products, and the H5 and H6 sound like a huge improvement on the H2.
I've got this idea of recording with the x-y Mics, and using the inputs to plug in my guitar (fitted with a K and K Pure Mini Western) and maybe buy a Rode NT1 or similar, and blending all 3 signals for a better sound (4 if you count the x-y as 2).
Is this practical, or am I over-complicating things?
Option 2 is to go down the route of external Mics into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (it gets mixed reviews working with Windows 10).
I'm after a basic setup and I don't want to be always buying and selling mics.
Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:14 PM

Can't comment about the Zoom products but, I have a Scarlett 18i20 and 2i4.

If you want to record with 3 mics with either XLR or 1/4" phono plugs, you will need at least a Scarlett 18i8 to plug everything in.

Ray
Old 05-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

I'd suggest using at most 2 mics for your acoustic guitar recording.

If you get separate mics you could have more flexibility in mic placement and recording techniques, compared to just X-Y using the Zoom internal mics. You could connect these external mics to either an interrface or to the Zoom H5.

I started recording using a Zoom H4, using internal mics for quick stuff and recording lessons. I would sometimes use an external mic, or two, if I wanted to try various micing techniques. I did move to recording on a laptop and using an interface, but having the portable Zoom still came in handy occasionally.

If you provide a budget range you may get more specific suggestions. It might also be helpful to know how much you want to play around with recording. If you want to keep it as simple as possible you might pick one approach, and if you have the desire to add recording techniques as a hobby you might pick a different approach.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-04-2016, 05:54 PM

Early on, I had the same thought about multiple mics/outlets and from my research learned that "less is more" (quite possibly), as Chuck is suggesting. My set up is with an H4n, a Rane acoustic pre amp and two condensers (Sure KSM 137), along with cords and stands. some of this was purchased new.....other parts were used.......my total cost was about $1,000 which I gradually upgraded to over about 4 years as I learned more of what I wanted. Like you....just acoustic instrumental, no singing.
At this stage my recorded sound is pretty much where I wanted to be.....for the time/budget I had in mind.
Hope this helps!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-05-2016, 01:00 AM

Ok, so less is more, but I still think it's a good idea to try recording with the X-Y on the Zoom and with the guitar plugged in at the same time. That would give me the best of both worlds, like one of those pickups with an internal mic.
I want to try and keep things simple.
I think I've already talked myself into buying a Zoom again. H5 or H6?
Old 05-05-2016, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

I use an H5 which I decided was fine for my needs, and I am very happy with the results. I thought about the H6, but didn't need the extra pair of tracks, but if I recall the specs correctly I think there was some flexibility in the X-Y mic angles up to 110 deg. as well.

Previously I used a Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface into a laptop. Fine, but I have more flexibility and quicker set up with the H5.

My last batch of recordings were with both X-Y inputs into a stereo track and a pair of external mics direct into two additional separate tracks. I then chose which pair or combination to use in post processing.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 05-05-2016, 02:45 AM

Thanks Rod. I think that's the way for me. Simple setup with options for the future.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:58 AM

I used a Zoom 4hn with the internal mics. You can hear that on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6rJSYWrxj8

Later I bought a Focusrite 2i2 and two matched pair Rode NT5.
The sound was much better. You can hear that on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuAsi7aXle0
Old 05-05-2016, 06:01 AM

Are you doing professional recording? If not, I'm inclined to say you are over complicating. I tried the focusrite product and some cond mics first. It is collecting dust. I bought a Zoom 1 and it makes better recordings. Granted, I wasn't using high end mics. I would try the new Zoom first and see if you like the results.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Are you doing professional recording? If not, I'm inclined to say you are over complicating. I tried the focusrite product and some cond mics first. It is collecting dust. I bought a Zoom 1 and it makes better recordings. Granted, I wasn't using high end mics. I would try the new Zoom first and see if you like the results.
+1

The Zoom H2N or H6 if you're really set on using external mics is way easier, more fun, and more likely to get used for years.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
+1

The Zoom H2N or H5 if you're really set on using external mics is way easier, more fun, and more likely to get used for years.
That's a good point. Another pragmatic consideration, for me, was portability. Playing acoustic guitar, I am unlikely to be sitting in a studio environment every time I want to record something. I found the computer/iPad driven units to be too cumbersome, and a deterrent to casual recording.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 AM

Thanks guys. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the Zoom. I think the H5 offers everything I need.
I'm not after professional quality recordings, just something I can play back and be happy to own up to.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That's a good point. Another pragmatic consideration, for me, was portability. Playing acoustic guitar, I am unlikely to be sitting in a studio environment every time I want to record something. I found the computer/iPad driven units to be too cumbersome, and a deterrent to casual recording.
For a big step up in controlling room sound, consider adding the very portable sE Electronics Reflexion Filter X for another $120.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic_Stevo View Post
Thanks guys. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the Zoom. I think the H5 offers everything I need.
I'm not after professional quality recordings, just something I can play back and be happy to own up to.
I have a pretty fancy interface, an RME UFX, along with an assortment of mics at various price points, but I have been very happy with my Zoom H6 recordings using just the XY module. Here's a playlist of videos that use audio from the H6 XY:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B_F3v1nnFucsWk

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD