The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-04-2015, 12:06 PM

Default Recording Basics - Great Resource

I have found recording to be a BIG topic. Trying to learn the basics thru forum posts has proven ineffective, as responses to questions tend to be far too technical for a beginner (which is great for a non-beginner, but everyone needs a Big Picture view before starting on this topic).

For anyone new to recording, and also to sound reinforcement (amplification), I found this to be a fantastic educational resource. In just 2-3 hours of reading, I now understand all of the parts and pieces and how they relate to each other. The focus is on recording, but many of the principles apply to both recording and amplification. www.ehomerecordingstudio.com

The website covers 5 main areas, each with a variety of subtopics, providing very good explanations of things like:
  • Recording process, including editing, mixing and mastering
  • Signal chains
  • Room acoustic treatment
  • Techniques for recording acoustic guitars and vocals
  • Equipment such as mics, cables, audio interface, rack vs desk gear, etc
  • DAW - Which are good, and for what
  • Etc, etc, etc... dozens of topics, well explained.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Good find. A lot of time has gone into creating that website.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-05-2015, 05:27 AM

Thank you billder99, this site is a brilliant resource and you have brought it to my attention at exactly the right time as I am just at the beginning of what seems an endless journey.
The site owner has gone to a great deal of trouble to explain things in an easy and intuitive fashion.
Def bookmarked this for future ref.
If anyone else here is starting out, this site will make all the difference.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:59 AM

Makes me reconsider where to put my recording desk. I was going to use a bedroom, but after reading this it seems the larger unfinished basement with concrete floors and open stud walls (not finished yet) would be the better choice. Or am I reading that wrong?

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 04-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
Makes me reconsider where to put my recording desk. I was going to use a bedroom, but after reading this it seems the larger unfinished basement with concrete floors and open stud walls (not finished yet) would be the better choice. Or am I reading that wrong?
No your not reading it wrong per se. There are some caveats though.

In general the bigger the better.
Even with a finished room, but especially with a totally unfinished room you will need some acoustic treatments.

Always better to have the mixing desk facing one of the shorter walls (in a rectangular room).
Always better to have the desk and monitors at least 3 ft away from the short wall and even better at a 1/3rd to 2/3rds position length wise. Best to have the desk in the center of the room width wise, with monitors equal distance from the side walls (long walls of the room) and in an equilateral triangle orientation.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 AM

All this only matters when mixing though, correct? When recording acoustic guitar sound levels does anything really matter except mike placement?

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
All this only matters when mixing though, correct? When recording acoustic guitar sound levels does anything really matter except mike placement?
Good question Sled. It seems like placement of monitors and microphones are the key issues. Why does it matter where the desk goes?

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the website. I just stumbled across it, trying to understand what an "audio interface" is, what it does, why it's needed... the whole site is a real goldmine of information.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Why does it matter where the desk goes?
Yes the placement of the desk and monitors and your listening position matter when mixing. It matters where the desk goes in so far as to make it ergonomic and convenient to use in relation to your listening position and the monitors and not having to change your listening position to actually mix

Room acoustics on the other hand matter for both mixing and recording big time.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-05-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
I have found recording to be a BIG topic. Trying to learn the basics thru forum posts has proven ineffective, as responses to questions tend to be far too technical for a beginner (which is great for a non-beginner, but everyone needs a Big Picture view before starting on this topic).

www.ehomerecordingstudio.com [/LIST]
While sound recording forum posts are only one resource among many, I must admit that I've learned a great deal from them and my recording efforts have benefitted immeasurably. That said, the website you've provided a link to looks terrific and is now on my "must read" list. Thanks!
I've read several books and use a couple as daily references (Logic Pro X for Dummies and Logic Pro X Music, Professional Music Production by David Nahmani (so you've guessed my DAW). Among my favourite websites, along with this one, are soundonsound.com and gearslutz. The greatest help for me has come from this link. https://www.youtube.com/user/MusicTechHelpGuy
Although I've focused on the Logic Pro X video tutorials, Josh Carney's explanations are so clear, precise, and thorough that I've been able to adapt what I've learned to help a friend negotiate his way through Sonar X3 Producer. My feeling is that the home recording milieu is fascinating and a barrel of fun. I hope your journey is equally rewarding.
Trevor
Old 04-09-2015, 01:33 PM

As much as I love websites devoted to simplifying the recording process, and I admire anyone who puts that much effort into providing information, I only looked at this one until I hit the "must have" suggestion of an SM57.

I don't see any reason to shackle your efforts by making the very first link in your recording chain a dynamic mic.

Then DAWs are addressed, with free and paid options. No mention of Reaper. Huh?

I suggest a far better approach is Graham Cochrane's "Recording Revolution" website:

http://therecordingrevolution.com/

I have no financial interest in any website, read them both and draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-09-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the link!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
.... I only looked at this one until I hit the "must have" suggestion of an SM57... Then DAWs are addressed, with free and paid options. No mention of Reaper. Huh?
Rudy,

Thanks for posting the "Recording Revolution" link, I will get to it this weekend.

Re; your comments above... the eHomeRecordingStudio site is geared to beginners and low budgets, and for a budget multipurpose mic there is nothing wrong with SM57/58 (decent for live performance, adequate for amateur recording).

The site makes no claims to being comprehensive regarding DAWs or anything else... just a really good basic overview of all the parts and pieces, along with a few gear recommendations to get started. For my purposes and level, very helpful.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Rudy,

Thanks for posting the "Recording Revolution" link, I will get to it this weekend.

Re; your comments above... the eHomeRecordingStudio site is geared to beginners and low budgets, and for a budget multipurpose mic there is nothing wrong with SM57/58 (decent for live performance, adequate for amateur recording).

The site makes no claims to being comprehensive regarding DAWs or anything else... just a really good basic overview of all the parts and pieces, along with a few gear recommendations to get started. For my purposes and level, very helpful.
I hear ya!

I do like Graham Cochrane's low dollar philosophy. He recently set out a challange to create a full recording sudio for less than $300. Here's a quick YouTube video with the process explained:

https://youtu.be/Knywa1iHtaQ
Old 05-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for that link; I found it a nice starting place on the path to recording enlightenment.

So far, my Snowball mic and Garage Band on my MacBook seem to satisfy my amateur recording interests.

I have friends who have mastered the next step up in mixing and such like. Better them than me, I suspect, after a few preview tutorials I've seen online.

Yours in tune!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD