The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 AM

Default Line-Level from Apogee Duet to Ipad?

Hi,

Supppose I want to use my Apogee Duet2 (purchased before it was made compatible with Ipad) with my Ipad (I like the preamps and it's easier to move my set-up to better sounding rooms when I don't have to lug my Imac around).

Would I be able to take the output from the Duet2 (from the headphones jack) and run that directly into the Ipad's microphone input and still get a decent recording? I know I lose the Duet2's D/A converters by doing it that way, but it's cheaper than buying a whole new Apogee Duet for Ipad/Mac.

Thanks,

The Colonel
Old 02-27-2015, 11:12 AM

I did some more research after starting this thread, and it looks more and more as if I will have to buy a new interface if I want a decent way of getting sound from a stereo condenser mic requiring phantom power (like my Rode NT4) into an Ipad.

I don't want to have to buy the newer Apogee Duet for Mac and Ipad (for $595), although that would be the most convenient solution, as I could record either to Mac or to Ipad with the same interface.

But there IS this product out there that appears to convert stereo condenser mics analog to digital and feed them into Ipad through lightening connector. I'm sure preamp isn't as good as Duet, but I doubt anyone will notice for the limited purpose I use it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iTrackDock

Anyone have any thoughts on this dilemma? In short, I want to be able to use my Rode NT4 with an Ipad and get decent sound.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Smile

I may be late to the table here, but I have a thought.

Don't buy this unit. Sell your old Duet and get the new one.

1. You like the Duet preamps.
2. You want portability and the ability to use your iPad.
3. The $199 for the new thing is probably close to the difference you'll "lose" switching out the Duets.

I sold my old Apogee Duet about a year ago. I was recently thinking I made a mistake, but really I didn't. I want the new one too because I now have an iPad, and it's such a beautifully convenient little device. The new Duet into that is a clean, easy solution that gets very good results without needing to add anything to your signal chain.

I've had a bumpy relationship over the years with my home studio. I've had some nice gear, and at times I have been able to get some nice results. Other times, I've just found the recommended "better" thing or solution to be a headache. But I'm not as interested in the details of recording gear and software as a lot of people on this forum. If you are anything like me (and from your post, I suspect you might be) simplicity and portability are priorities. You want to make music. The more gizmos I've added... well, let's just say it's never really been an improvement.

It seems like for the same cost or close to it, you can just upgrade the piece of gear you're comfortable with and happy using.

Two cents.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM

Thanks. The Duet makes sense IF I still intend to use my computer. If I use the IPad exclusively to record, the Focusrite dock may be the most cost effective way to record. I still have a Tascam 4-channel D/A interface, and I have to say, the difference between the Tascam and Duet is hardly noticeable.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 AM

Further to previous, I am also considering the Apogee Mic, which is not as good as the Rode NT4, but it works on both Mac and IPad, so it solves my problem. But it leaves the Rode sitting idle, which would make it an expensive ornament.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Thanks. The Duet makes sense IF I still intend to use my computer. If I use the IPad exclusively to record, the Focusrite dock may be the most cost effective way to record. I still have a Tascam 4-channel D/A interface, and I have to say, the difference between the Tascam and Duet is hardly noticeable.
Cool. I had a Focusrite box a while back and the Duet was a noticable improvement. But if you have a more affordable solution and are clear on your needs, I say you're in business!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 AM

What mic did you use with it?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What mic did you use with it?
I use an AKG414 and a Neumann KM184. Sometimes I just use a Shure 57 or 58. Those are the only mics I own as I continue to simplify.

I think those Duet preamps work very well if you just want gain and clarity.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:28 PM

And with mics that good you really noticed a difference between the Forcusrite and the Duet?
Old 03-17-2015, 06:33 PM

If you're coming out of the headphone jack then the A/D has already occurred.
Also, the NT4 will run on a 9v battery.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And with mics that good you really noticed a difference between the Forcusrite and the Duet?

Yes. The Duet had a lot more clean gain. I could place mics farther away. But again, if you don't need to do that...

Also, I made a mistake. It was a Presonus box. See, I'm sort of trying to distance myself from gear!
Old 03-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

You know, when I had the Presonus thing - I think it was an Audio Box USB - I was also experimenting with a Shure SM7b. That's a mic that needs a lot of clean gain. The Duet worked well with that one, and I used that combo to record some poetry reading. The Presonus didn't work well with that mic.

I know nothing about your Tascam, and it may be that it does what you want. I'm not trying to sell you anything. I've just been looking at the same sort of problem and decided the Duet was the thing I needed. So much so that I'm getting rid of the more expensive preamps I own.

Best luck!

Last edited by flagstaffcharli; 03-17-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:48 AM

I understand. I may just have to break down and get the new Duet.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:19 PM

By the way, if you go to my Soundcloud feed, soundcloud.com/da-colonel, you will see two Blackbird covers. The one further down (just guitar, about 57 seconds) was recorded with Nt4 into the Tascam interface into Garageband.

The more recent one (with my horrible singing) was recorded with the Nt4 into a Duet into Garageband.

I have to say that the Duet one is much more faithful in terms of reproducing sound -- much cleaner. If I can hear it (and admit it), I don't see how I avoid buying the newer Duet that's compatible with the Ipad.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD