The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM

Default I have $1,000. How do I spend it?

Hi everyone, I am interested in getting into recording technology and making simple vocals and acoustic guitar demos.

I purchased a Blue Yeti USB microphone thinking I could just plug it in and go. It didn't sound good, and I've been told by a friend that it's because my computer's audio card isn't good enough.

I guess it's also about time to upgrade my computer, as it regularly overheats and I'm not sure how much longer it will last.

What do I buy with a budget of $1,000? What software do I buy to go with it? Do I get a Mac or PC? I've been told that I also need an interface - what's that?

What would you buy with no equipment other than a Blue Yeti on my budget if you wanted to do vocals and acoustic guitar recording? Is it possible to get good quality on my budget or am I being too optimistic?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Great thread title, you sound like me....

I have the Same question...
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 AM

iPad 2 or 3 $500

Focusrite iTrack $149

Auria DAW with some plugs. <$100

CAD M179 $120

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
iPad 2 or 3 $500

Focusrite iTrack $149

Auria DAW with some plugs. <$100

CAD M179 $120
I agree with most of this, and I think this is the way to go, but I have some fine tuning on this approach

I see iPad 1st Gen 64G (with iOs 5.0 or higher which is needed to run Auria), all the time in the three hundred dollar range on ebay. The 1st Gen iPad will be limited to 24 tracks but that is way more than the OP needs for what he stated. I like having a lot of memory when it comes to recording, and many of these come as reconditioned with a one year warranty! I would then get the Apogee One for iPad which I think has better stability and sound than the Focusrite, and a ridiculously good onboard microphone, at a cost of $350. AND, the big advantage with the Apogee One for iPad is that it also charges the iPad in use! I think Auria is great, so I would also go with that, and I like the M179 as an all rounder. But I would add a pair of headphones for overdubbing like SONY MDR7506 which you can find on ebay for $50 if you look hard enough

All still under budget!

And I have no connection to these sellers, these are just examples I found very quickly!

$345 ipad 1st Gen 64G (includes shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-1...item589bd42922

$320 Apogee One for ipad (I best offered him $320 including shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Apogee-O...item35c851392c

$100 Auria loaded with plugins (direct from Auria) http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria

$129 CAD M179 (includes shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAD-M179-Aud...item58a0aa5778

$47.99 Sony MDR7506 headphones (includes shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJ-Headphone...item5d3fa9c878
Old 07-03-2013, 11:42 AM

It's quite possible to get a good sound for 1000 dollars. Unfortunately that's more on you than the 1000 dollars. What kind of computer do you have at the moment? I'm still not sold on the iPad recording yet....
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach
Old 07-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fichtezc View Post
It's quite possible to get a good sound for 1000 dollars. Unfortunately that's more on you than the 1000 dollars. What kind of computer do you have at the moment? I'm still not sold on the iPad recording yet....
Have you recorded with an iPad an Auria??? Or are you just not familair enough to make the call? I own some very nice recording gear, and I can tell you from experience the iPad setup with the right interface is very capable. I also use a RME Babyface with mine, but that wouldn't fit into the $1000 budget
Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Have you recorded with an iPad an Auria??? Or are you just not familair enough to make the call? I own some very nice recording gear, and I can tell you from experience the iPad setup with the right interface is very capable. I also use a RME Babyface with mine, but that wouldn't fit into the $1000 budget
I haven't used auria(?) admittedly so I could be totally wrong but I have used it with GarageBand and a duet and I wasn't sold. Perhaps I'll try again.
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach
Old 07-03-2013, 01:33 PM

+1 on the Apogee One/ipad set up. Great quality results. And you get an iPad- which is a ridiculously useful piece of gear beyond recording!

-John
Old 07-03-2013, 06:16 PM

I'm trying this route. Supposed to be really great.

http://www.amazon.com/MXL-USB-24BIT-.../dp/B001CJ45KY
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I agree with most of this, and I think this is the way to go, but I have some fine tuning on this approach

I see iPad 1st Gen 64G (with iOs 5.0 or higher which is needed to run Auria), all the time in the three hundred dollar range on ebay. The 1st Gen iPad will be limited to 24 tracks but that is way more than the OP needs for what he stated. I like having a lot of memory when it comes to recording, and many of these come as reconditioned with a one year warranty! I would then get the Apogee One for iPad which I think has better stability and sound than the Focusrite, and a ridiculously good onboard microphone, at a cost of $350. AND, the big advantage with the Apogee One for iPad is that it also charges the iPad in use! I think Auria is great, so I would also go with that, and I like the M179 as an all rounder. But I would add a pair of headphones for overdubbing like SONY MDR7506 which you can find on ebay for $50 if you look hard enough

All still under budget!

And I have no connection to these sellers, these are just examples I found very quickly!

$345 ipad 1st Gen 64G (includes shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad-1...item589bd42922

$320 Apogee One for ipad (I best offered him $320 including shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Apogee-O...item35c851392c

$100 Auria loaded with plugins (direct from Auria) http://auriaapp.com/Products/auria

$129 CAD M179 (includes shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAD-M179-Aud...item58a0aa5778

$47.99 Sony MDR7506 headphones (includes shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJ-Headphone...item5d3fa9c878
Yeah, that's a good idea. But for anyone considering going the iPad route - it's important to be aware of the hardware limits. iPad 1 & 2 only have 512 meg RAM. iPad 3 & 4 have 1 meg. That's nothing in the world of digital audio - especially when you start using plugs.

Auria does a good job of using the limited RAM efficiently. But for digital audio - 512 meg RAM is nothing. And that is Apple's fault - not the other vendors.

I'm working on a project with 4 guitar tracks, 6 vocal tracks, 2 bass tracks & 4 synth tracks. Auria does a good job. But I have gotten plenty of RAM usage messages from the iPad.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Take off your computer case cover and blow off the dust. Check the fans are working. There is no other likely reason it should have started overheating.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Default I have $1,000. How do I spend it?

Yes, try to use your existing PC if you can, then concentrate your funds on an interface and a couple decent mics, along with a decent pair of headphones. A USB interface with two channels is recommended, like an m-audio profire 610, for example. Then, a pair of mics, one LDC and a SDC. A setup like this is very versatile an allows for upgrading and expansion.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 PM

You don't need a powerful computer to record. Just about anything will do. I agree with other posters who've recommended you try to fix the overheating problem.

The best mics I know in the budget category are the ADK A6 and Oktava Mk012.

If your current computer is a mac, grab a second-hand Apogee Duet (assuming you only need a two-channel interface). Again, this is a piece of gear which isn't expensive but has really good audio quality.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:17 AM

I think I'm also onboard with the latter group of posters. I have a couple of iPads and a mac & win machine. iPad wins for portability, but not for flexibility. The inference to using plugins was a valid one. Once you start on this recording journey...you will want more. And, that'll bring you back to at LEAST a capable laptop.

TigerDirect & Microcenter are great resources I've used for upgrading, buying refurb or clearance machines...etc., and still having money for a nice interface. I've gone this route several times for our limited-budget church and was never disappointed. Just read the reviews and go for something that seems to have a solid base of positive review experiences.

I'll concede to others' expertise here, but many inexpensive interfaces with give you an entry point on 2 channel recordings. Once you start requiring 4+ on a single take...the price goes up dramatically. 2 channel can be a simple stereo recording...or two singers "at the same time"...etc. But, for demo work...my old Tascam US-122 interface has worked just fine for my purposes...inexpensive and a nice learning tool.

I like Garageband on my mac for simplicity of just "quickly getting the job done". I know many that have produced complete recordings using Cubase on the Win-side, too, and love it.

I'd only personally build up a complete iPad system after you have a full OS system for good processing & mass storage of recordings.

BradM

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD