The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-12-2018, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Keeping track of song ideas

I have too many notebooks, pads, song snips on itunes, etc. How do you keep track of your song ideas, lyrics in progress, etc.?

Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

This is a problem for me. I get so many ideas and rarely write them down or record them in any way. I need to come up with a system. I think a phone app might help.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:54 AM

I don’t “do” lyrics, but for the music part, I just record anything that I deem to be a ”good ” idea. In the file name I write the guitar used, capo, tuning, and maybe some chord shapes. I don’t write anything down.

One thing about ”good ideas” is to let them simmer overnight. If you don’t remember the next day, then it wasn’t a “good idea”. Cuts down on the clutter.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Keeping track of song ideas

I don’t have a good solution for you. I have piles of notebooks around with bits of songs in them. I don’t ever throw them away and there is no order to the chaos. I also keep vocal snippets on the iPhone that occur to me while I’m driving.

All writing is done longhand in a notebook. When I have a song completed, I type it out on the iPad with chords in place. This gets saved to the cloud and printed out as well. Then if it goes into my set rotation, I’ll play it over and over again to make it stick in memory - increasingly difficult these days, as my short term memory diminishes with age.
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 05-14-2018, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing. Every once in awhile I look through the notebooks to see what I can toss. Thanks for replying.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-27-2018, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

There's a really great phone app called "Hum" that I've been using recently which has helped me better organize my song ideas. Not sure if you'er open to going digital, but if you are I'd recommend checking it out. Makes me feel much more organized than having everything scribbled out in a notebook.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:37 AM

The phone is a good idea with that app but here in Florida even holding your phone while driving a car (where melodies come to mind for me) is a $200.00 fine if caught. I pocket mine now when driving. So, I make an attempt to remember or write down the progression if a melody comes to mind.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:58 AM

I'm a mess as well. Lots of notebooks, cassette snippets, etc. I bought Dragon voice recognition software a few years ago to help me transcribe all of my notebooks but still haven't used it.

Just thinking about organizing all of this stuff makes me want to go take a nap.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write