The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2022, 05:48 AM

Default Leaving The Clip On Tuner On The Guitar During A Gig ? Do Ya ?

I never did. Always took them off.

However, I recently bought the Peterson StroboClip HD and kinda dig it. I've A/B'd it with the old "made to fall" Snark and my Fishman T2 and realize how much more accurate it is.

I went to see the Punch Brothers a while back and noticed Chris Thile had a clip on, and he left it on for the whole show. I've also seen multiple videos of him with a tuner on his priceless Loar, like it lives there. He obviously isn't concerned with it wrecking his tone OR the finish on the Loar.

And those boys tuned (quickly) between EVERY SINGLE song.

I might just leave mine on for the next gig and check things from time to time.

Perhaps my ears aren't as smart as my brain thinks they are...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-27-2022, 05:56 AM

I've always turned mine off after each tuning. Call it "being conservative." Usually I also remove it as I do not think they look good perched there. And they cover up the headstock. It annoys me when I see this done as it makes it harder to tell what brand of guitar they are playing.

Not am I so fussy or such a hard player that tuning is needed between songs. But to each their own.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I've always turned mine off after each tuning. Call it "being conservative."
Turning it off yes.

I just meant leaving it perched up there "ready" to check tuning at any time.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:14 AM

I don't play gigs anymore and can't see any way that I will in the future as I'm an old guy with M.S. That being said I think that being in tune is way more important than any perceived aesthetic disturbance to the audience. As far as causing damage to the instrument I really don't care as long as long as it's not structural in nature. I plan on keeping and playing most of my instruments until I physically can't. When my family opens the cases of my Advanced Jumbo, Les Paul, SG or any of my other instruments I hope that they marvel at all of the honest playing scars.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
…I might just leave mine on for the next gig and check things from time to time.

Perhaps my ears aren't as smart as my brain thinks they are...
Hi MS…

My tuners live on the headstock for the entire gig, and my hand has memorized the on/off button. I only ever turn it 'on' (it turns itself off). I often touch up tuning between songs. I do a lot of bends, and this is never healthy for the stability of the intonation.

I have often remarked ½ way through a gig "I tune because YOU have ears."

My tuners are clipped so they are only showing on the backside of the headstock so only I see them. The Poly-tune and Uni-tune flip themselves right side up, and the Snarks rotate to be right side up.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-27-2022, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I tune because I care.

I hate the look of a big tuner like a Snark hanging on a headstock during a show. I just the D'Addario micro tuners on my guitars. A couple of the ones that mount to the headstock and a soundhole tuner in my CEO-7 but it may get the headstock version when I swap out the tuning machines.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-27-2022, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

It's just a question of how long you want to spend tuning during a gig. If you have time to reach for your tuner from where ever, clip it on , switch it on , move it to get the sun out of the display, tune , take it off, place it where you keep it, etc. etc.
I always play thru a boss TU on the floor and have a headstock tuner as well, often the sun makes it hard to see the display on one tuner or the other, so having two I can hopefully see the display of one without having to mess about because I usually don't have the time, then again I'm playing in a 5 piece so I'm not totally in control , unless I do a Clapton and call " ang on, ang on "
Old 06-27-2022, 08:22 AM

When gigging, I use the tuners built into my guitars' preamps, if they have one; it's not as accurate as some tuners, but it's close enough during a set to keep things in line and is great for shows that don't include much setup time on stage. It has the added advantage of disconnecting the pickup when you tune, so the audience doesn't have to listen to you tune through the PA. Floor pedal tuners do the same (and are more accurate), so if you have time to set up one of those before a show, that's probably the best solution, both visually and practically.

Beyond that, tuners like the Snark are pretty convenient, fairly reliable, and, no, I wouldn't keep taking it on and off throughout a set - that seems far more distracting than leaving it in place. For the few people interested in staring at my headstock while I play, most headstocks are pretty recognizable, even with one corner covered by a tuner. As for the aesthetics of a headstock tuner on a guitar, well, it just tells people you have a tuner on your guitar. I'm not sure how that detracts much from the looks of your guitar, especially when I also have a mic in my face and a mic stand in front of the guitar, and a cable running out the strap end.

Hope this doesn't sound too snarky.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldRocker View Post
Beyond that, tuners like the Snark are pretty convenient, fairly reliable, and...

I see what you did, there...

Done with the Snarks after comparing them to the Peterson, they're all over the place.

Plus, they're "designed to fall"....

Old 06-27-2022, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldRocker View Post

Beyond that, tuners like the Snark are pretty convenient, fairly reliable, and, no, I wouldn't keep taking it on and off throughout a set - that seems far more distracting than leaving it in place. For the few people interested in staring at my headstock while I play, most headstocks are pretty recognizable, even with one corner covered by a tuner. As for the aesthetics of a headstock tuner on a guitar, well, it just tells people you have a tuner on your guitar. I'm not sure how that detracts much from the looks of your guitar, especially when I also have a mic in my face and a mic stand in front of the guitar, and a cable running out the strap end.

I agree with this. No one is noticing that there is a tuner up riding on the headstock with the capo. It is all in the mind.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 06-27-2022 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:04 AM

I recently replaced my headstock tuners with D'Addario sound hole tuners.
I'm one that doesn't like the look of a tuner or a capo clamped on the headstock of my guitars.

When I do use a Snark, it is only on long enough to tune up and then back off it goes.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:16 AM

I only use a headstock tuner if playing without amplification, in which case I leave it on, otherwise a pedal tuner. Pedal tuners are usually more accurate, not subject to extraneous noise/vibration, discreet.

Last edited by RustyAxe; 06-27-2022 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:53 AM

Since D'addario started doing those tiny tuners, there's one lurking on the back of all my headstocks 24/7. I don't take them off at all.

I'm not super-concerned with finish etc. My guitars are all intended to be played, gigged and generally used. Being in tune is a huge part of people asking you to play again, I find, and having a tuner makes that just that little bit faster and more convenient for me.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-27-2022, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
And they cover up the headstock. It annoys me when I see this done as it makes it harder to tell what brand of guitar they are playing.
I think mostly that nobody cares a bit about it... the only ones that do, care because they're guitar (or mando, or banjo) nerds and want to see what the headstock says. So, I kind of agree with this.

I'd be much more annoyed by the performers being out of tune than I ever would be for them having a tuner on their headstock.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 06-27-2022, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Like Snorse, I used to have those tiny D'addario clip-ons kept on headstocks all the time. No issues whatsoever, apart from they partially covered the logos.

However, last coupla years, I've gone to TC electronics "Uni-tunes" which are better in all lighting situations, far faster, and accurate .... UT - a little large so, no I don't leave them on.
Wherever I play (at home or away), I have a table or chair nearby on which I keep my pick box ,capo etc., so I can pick up the tuner quickly and check, and put it down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion