The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2022, 07:14 PM

If I had an order, it would be a tie for first currently, that being between my J-45 and my Heinonen SJ. I know I know, apples/oranges BUT, I've had the J for 20 years and every time I pick it up, it's like sitting in the most comfortable chair you can imagine. The Heinonen, well, it's the sh** in every way. After that, it's the Furch and then the Dove, but only because I'm less comfortable playing a dread than I used to be.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-25-2022, 07:15 PM

My HD-28 sounded really great this morning. I like all my 6 strings equally. They are great guitars. I don't like the strings that I have on my 000-18 at the moment. Usually that one is my favorite. I grab a different one each time I play. My 12 string is probably my least played.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:19 PM

Acoustics: #1 is the Baxendale, then the L-00. I pull the J-30 dread out sometimes. It is an old friend, but I like the smaller bodies these days.

For electrics, #1 is probably the Sheraton, followed by the tele parts caster.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:41 PM

I'm fickle. At any one time, I might be playing mostly steel-string acoustic, and then it may be the Godin Multiac Spectrum or ACS SA nylon. Right now, almost all of my playing time is with my nylon string Kremona cutaway Verea - dang, that's a nice guitar for fingerstyle. It's great for ragtime, Celtic, jazz classics, you name it. It's also way kinder on the fretting fingers and picking nails than steel, too. I have a very nice Godin LGXT solid electric with synth access, but that's the one I play the least. I might even think of selling it if it weren't so nice.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:52 PM

I don't rank mine. They each had to be able to run with the pack when I bought them, or else I wouldn't have.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:04 PM

Number one for me, time and time again, no matter what guitar I try out.....is my players Martin 1938 00-21. It has a shaved bridge and fingerboard, but sounds and feels heavenly. I've never encountered anything else quite like it. I am a very large guy and have huge hands, so I love the wider neck. The response and tone are out of this world.

Number two at the moment is the newest guitar in the house, a PW CO 000-18 with a non-V neck. I like it because it has a vintage vibe and sound, and has 14 frets to the neck which helps playing a lot of Julian Lage stuff which I am addicted to learning. The neck is also very comfortable, a 1 3/4" slim style neck with level 1 distress. A 000 is about the largest guitar I am comfortable playing, thus would love to try a 00. This guitar falls victim to dead/old strings, but when new strings are on it really sings with a nice Blue Chip TP 50 pick(been getting into melodic flatpicking). Doesn't really like bare finger fingerpicking though.

Lastly, my Fraulini Erma has been played the least lately. It is the guitar I have owned the longest though, over 13 years. It sounds amazing and has a perfect setup, but my 00-21 is simply more versatile as it takes a pick and fingers only equally well. It is also the smallest guitar I own and I seem to hunch over a bit while playing.

I've recently completed my music studio. I'm most likely going to sell one of the above to fund an electric guitar and a bass.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:07 PM

You're asking me to pick my favorite kid! That's wrong on so many levels. I just can't do it.

(Circa OM-28 Adi/Maple )
Old 06-25-2022, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

My Bourgeois was my first good guitar, it's "home" from a guitar standpoint. It's the one that I know I'll never part with... so it's #1.

#2 is probably my D-18 in terms of how often I play it... but it could be my Northwood in terms of how much I value it (it is SUCH a good guitar, even though it doesn't really suit the music that I most often play)...

then is the OM-21, which is really good, but seems fairly easily replaceable...

and it goes down from there.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 06-25-2022, 09:03 PM

My newest, the Fay, gets played the most, as it should be. The honeymoon period is going to last a while with it as I get more and more comfortable with it's feel and sound.

The Hatcher is probably in second place at the moment. I get it out when I feel I need variety, a louder sound, or get feeling guilty of neglecting such a fine instrument.

The Goodall gets an occasional turn, mostly when I don't want to take one of the newer guitars somewhere. It is equally as good.

Anything else has more of a specialty sound and is used for those moments. I play the Franks resonator the most of this group. I notice that when recording or performing, I am more apt to involve one of my specialty instruments. the National hardly ever gets touched, only when I want to play only slide. When he visits, the Blackbird is played by a friend who thinks it the best thing since sliced bread. It was bought for camping trips and when there is extreme weather.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

My D18GE is number 1. It doesn't sound better than my Guild Orpheum, but ergonomically, - the nut width, string spacing at the nut and saddle, as well as the 16" fretboard radius - it fits me perfectly.

I am planning to take the Orpheum in for a setup next month. I think it can be dialed in a little better.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 06-26-2022 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:04 PM

I rotate daily. The GP35E is in alternate tunings so that gets played most days.
When I play the J-45 I love the big full sound. When I play the OM15 with its woody tone I love that.
My favorite is the one in my hands I guess.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:55 AM

1. Yamaha LL-16 ARE
2. Yamaha FG-830
3. Recording King RD-318
4. Recording king Recording King RDS-11-FE3-TBR
Old 06-26-2022, 03:56 AM

1) Martin Special 16 Style Rosewood dreadnought - This one arrived a couple weeks ago (still need to do a NGD post), and it's probably the first acoustic guitar I've ever owned that I just can't put down. The playability is only OK as I still need to lower the nut slots and saddle a bit, but the tone is out of this world. As others have said about their standard series guitars, this sounds like a guitar should sound to me. Deep thumping bass, sparkly high end, lush overtones, and everything just perfectly balanced...it makes me sound like a better player than I actually am! It's also equally suited to hard strumming and fingerstyle. I'm very impressed that these sell for only $1750.

2) Martin Road Series D10E - This was my favorite until the Special 16 Style came along. It sounds like a poor man's version of that guitar and has a better setup so it's more playable at the moment, but it's lacking the overtones and magic of the Special 16 Style. Still a great guitar, but it has been upstaged.

3) Eastman E1D - It's a perfectly fine guitar that plays well and sounds OK (better strummed than fingerstyle), but it has a very fundamental sound and lacks magic. I consider this very similar to my old Seagull S6 in many ways.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

While I am happy with them all, the most frequently played as of late are: (BOLD)

Acoustics
1973 Guild D44M
1987 Guild JF65-12
2000 Martin D40 - Bluegrass
2011 Breedlove OM-SReH - Most versatile
2018 Taylor 324e
2019 Eastman E2OM-CD - Fingerstyle
2021 Eastman E2D
2019 Eastman AC108ce-LTD-CLA - Fingerstyle
2019 Larrivee 000-40 - Singer/Songwriter
2021 Edney Custom SS 12 Fret D - Where sweet & sparkly meet Ba Da Boom

Electrics
2008 Fender Am Std Tele
2009 GFS Tele Thinline P90s
2021 Guild Starfire II Dynasonic - Most versatile

Last edited by FingahPickah; 06-26-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:07 AM

Horses for courses, or tools for a job -

Bar Gigging - Acoustasonic Tele or Squier Bass
Farmer’s Market / Cookouts - DIY D-28 style
Bluegrass - DIY oak dread
Around the house - it’s a rotation, but my J-15 is on the wall hanger next to me right now
Travel - VoyageAir dread
In the closet at work for lunchtime practice - DIY 000 12 fret black locust

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion