The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2022, 03:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default What's the "pecking" order of your guitars?

Many of us have several. Which is your favorite and how do your others rank?

Right now I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Pellerin. It's a head or two above the Furch and Avalon though so let's leave it at that.

The Furch and Avalon are totally different from each other, but are more than adequate finger style guitars so it's a coin toss there.

The Martin is a case queen but may see action on the deck/porch this year along with the Guild.

It'll be interesting to see where the McIlroy I have on the way fits in with my top 3.

It's all silliness though because once I start playing I'm focused on the music and as long as the guitar responds the way I want, I'm happy.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-25-2022, 03:17 PM

I'm a little different, I guess.

I have 3 head honchos, depending on what I'm playing.

My 000-15 is my acoustic
My Heritage 575 is my "jazzbox"

And then there's my tele...which doesn't get played at much...but its been with me since 1996...and I honestly think, if I could only save one in a fire, that would be it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-25-2022, 03:23 PM

Mmmm...

Honeymoon period for my Custom Shop
My OM21 will always be special, so I think those two will come joint first.
00-15 is the easiest to play, and I like the 'hog sound but it's TOO quiet/restrained.
The guitar my friend made is also special, but I've not quite bonded with it yet...

So, 2 in joint first, and 2 in joint third I think.

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 06-25-2022, 03:44 PM
Guest 33123

I play all equally.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:54 PM

I don't have a pecking order but the past couple of months I've played my Martin D-16GT 80% of the time. I've played it more these past two months than the total time over the past few years. My Lowden F25, Taylor BTO, and others are patiently waiting for a little more playing time... and they'll get it at some point.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I currently have 4 guitars and the Wingert E and the Kramer Prairie Grass get played the most. My Alvarez parlor and Wingert 00 get played a bit less. At least weekly they all get played.
Best,
Jayne
Old 06-25-2022, 04:22 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

It’s an absolute tie right now. Take a look at my sig. Good luck picking one over the other. I can’t. They deserve - and get - equal playing time.

Old 06-25-2022, 04:24 PM

I have several carefully selected in a core group fighting for my attention daily and I waver between those mainly. 00/OM/L-00 size....

Others try to kick their way in - larger guitars I wanted to try after reading about them, a couple of failures that are getting more chances, and a couple...on the way out.....crying and screaming all the way!

BluesKing777.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:24 PM

1 - Martin D-18. I only bought this a few weeks ago but it just sounds stunning to me. It’s how an acoustic guitar should sound. Can’t put it down.

2 - Martin 000-28 Custom 12 Fret. More dark and complex than the D-18, but with ringing trebles. Slightly better for fingerpicking but I still find I prefer the tone of the D-18 even if it doesn’t play quite as well for fingerpicking.

3 - Martin 000-15m. My gigging guitar. It needs some work done for playability but that means I won’t be doing open mics for a while. Will probably wait until the Edinburgh festival when open mics get cancelled in favour of comedy nights around the city, then take it on for repair/setup. It probably needs a new nut, my previous guitar tech did some stupid things to it.

Old 06-25-2022, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I only have two acoustics, so no playing strategy to justify either. The GS Mini probably gets more playing time so I'll say as far as pecking order it is probably first in line. The Guild has a more specialized purpose, so in those instances the GS Mini loses out every time.

I have a Les Paul electric and some pedals that gets very little use. I just don't play anything that is particular electric.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 06-25-2022, 05:55 PM

Been playing electric almost exclusively for the last 5-6 years, so my Gretsch G5622T-CB is my first-call gigmeister, followed by a 2011 Gibson limited-edition LP Studio -60s Tribute goldtop/P-90 and a 2013 Gretsch G6136DC " '62 Tribute" double-cutaway White Falcon (which, for obvious reasons, only sees use under limited circumstances)...

Then there's everything else...
Old 06-25-2022, 06:02 PM

I only have one electric, one classical, one 12 string and two steel string acoustics.

Between the Lowden and the Martin I favor the Lowden for it's unique voice, but the Martin is truly a wonderful guitar. I've been playing it a lot this week and it does everything well.

The others get played just a few times a year lately.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-25-2022, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

CEO-7 and 000-28EC are basically equals, but I seem to be more in sync with the sound of mahogany than rosewood at this point in my life, and least I'm in sync with mahogany more often than rosewood, so I'd have to rank the CEO-7 ahead of the 000-28EC in terms of how often I reach for it, how often it sounds just exactly perfect to me. My Emerald X-7 ranks a distant third. I had a nearly identical X7 for a couple of years and it was my one and only acoustic for quite a lot of that time and I loved it. And this one is just as good, but now I have those two nice Martins to compare it to, and it doesn't really compare. I'm happy to have a carbon fiber guitar for the times when it's gonna be stuck in a hot car or there's just way too much or too little humidity in the air to want to take one of the Martins out. But it's my last resort guitar now, played very little.

On the electric side, it's all strat nearly all the time. My Epiphone SG with P90s is there for those rare moments when I get a full on jones for that P90 growl, so I'm REAL happy to have it, but I probably play the strat 95% plus of the time I'm playing electric. That was true when my strat was a MIM Robert Cray hardtail. I got an American Original 50s strat within the last couple months and, as much as I liked the Robert Cray, I like this AO50s even more. So it's probably gonna be a while before I play the SG again. But it'll be there when I just gotta have it.

-Ray
Old 06-25-2022, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy my acoustics equally. I also enjoy all my electrics but could see downsizing to just the telecaster.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 06-25-2022, 07:13 PM

When I’m playing out, if the choice is mine, this is the order of how I would pick.

1)Center-Fender PM-3 OM Addie/Rose
2)Left-Taylor 414ce-r
3)Right-Epi DR500mce w/ Nashville string set

Eastman 815-v as needed

1)Center-Fender Jazzmaster/Fralin Electronics
2)Left-Fender Am.Performer Strat HotRod
Retired-Olympic White VooDoo Strat

Last edited by Chickee; 06-25-2022 at 07:45 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion