The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-13-2016, 08:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Done for the day!
Old 02-13-2016, 09:58 PM

Bruce,

Georgeous... I really love the comment about the construction of the heal. In someway I can feel the constraints/beauty of making a key piece with limited freedom. Once again thanks for the peak into your work shop.

On a different note I was shopping for a new amp for my electrics and noticed that the brand I was checking out "Mesa/boogie". Is made in your home town. I always find it crazy how many cool things can come from a town with a certain vibe.

Anyway. Thanks again.

Jrw
Old 02-14-2016, 11:03 AM

Bruce,

Is the top arched or completely flat? Just curious.

Charles
Old 02-14-2016, 11:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

I built this top in the same dish I use for most of my steels strings. It's about a 42' radius dish.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I built this top in the same dish I use for most of my steels strings. It's about a 42' radius dish.
Does your assembly workboard have the same radius? If not, what prevents the top from being squished flat during attachment of the sides to the top and the gluing of the peone?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

My assembly work board and my dish are one and the same. 42' is not much dish, about 5/64 depth of chord in 2'.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:50 PM

Ah, thanks. Now I understand the method shown in your photos and the block under the neck.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:59 PM

Is this Mulatta gonna cost a lotta moola?
Old 02-14-2016, 06:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

My concept of a Flamenco guitar is that the Spanish makers thought of them much as I think of my WRX series guitars. The WRX is stripped down to its bare essentials, sacrificing nothing I consider important, just less trim mostly, and I sell it only to players, it is not available through dealers, which allows me to put relatively comfortable pricing on it. The Spanish makers sold Flamencos to players who wanted great guitars and didn't care about bells and whistles or bragging rights, and that's what mine are supposed to be. I do have the Blanca (my previous flamenco effort) listed in my inventory with a price attached. The Mulatta will be only slightly more.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:13 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Not to get us too sidetracked, but I never did see what became of the BRW classical after sometime in January. Ominously, it's not listed in the current inventory. Do you think you'll do any further classical guitars, or are you concerned about the reported conservatism of people who like that sort of instrument and the resulting (tiny) size of the potential market for a classical guitar built by a not-quite-traditional artist?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

The classical is successful as far as being a decent guitar is concerned, but is one of those instruments that had more than its share af trauma in the birthing experience. You may recall I had to re-brace the top due to humidity issues . . . well I actually had to do that twice. Then I decided to use a different back than originally intended. . . and sides, of course. Then the geometry was not what I expected so I had to make a second bridge, but didn't learn that until after the first one was glued on. That was just as well because the intonation was wrong and I had to move it a couple of millimeters, which meant I had to do some finish repair, and I still am working on that. I had it strung up for a couple of weeks and it is very strong voiced, at least compared to the Blanca, and with a sort of formality to it, comparatively. I would say the classical is a distinctly superior guitar, but I none the less prefer the Blanca hands down.

If nothing else untoward happens, the Classical will appear on the inventory list in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:09 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Well, I'm very happy to hear that the classical has somehow survived all of that! It would be really interesting to be able to compare the sound of these three nylon guitars to each other, is there any chance you'll post sound clips of each at some point? As if you weren't busy enough already... Thanks again for sharing your process with us!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

You're so welcome, I truly appreciate hearing back from the readership.

First coat of varnish and the Mulatta seems to be leaning towrd the Negra side of her genes, not that the lighting is perfect:

Actually, these pictures are inadequate to their purpose, and I will try to do a better job on others tomorrow. Time for supper today.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
Is this Mulatta gonna cost a lotta moola?
Yes, that IS clever!!! I was trained young not to acknowledge this kind of humor, but I will make an exception for you.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's a light that works. No sign of that light today, though, as we're getting a bit of rain, thankfully.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
flamenco, jazz, mulatto, sexaur, tucurensis