The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-10-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Haunted chords

Hi!

There must be endless devices for arranging guitar music. Here is one little idea for some parts of arrangement. You can rearrange chord tones so that close intervals go to low register causing "haunted sound"[emoji317][emoji28].
Cheers, Mikko

https://youtu.be/TqfZkKwl2I0
Old 07-10-2020, 05:25 PM

Nice video. This is a powerful approach to make chords and harmony so much more evocative and personal, as opposed to playing the same voicing in song after song after song.

Ralph Towner has been a master of this for 50 years, as well as someone like Allan Holdsworth.

I also like the mirror approach - move close intervals UP. I find this to be effective when arranging for multiple instruments, as ending up with tight intervals in the bass *can* get muddy.

Anything to get more usage of open chords!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Nice video. This is a powerful approach to make chords and harmony so much more evocative and personal, as opposed to playing the same voicing in song after song after song.

Ralph Towner has been a master of this for 50 years, as well as someone like Allan Holdsworth.

I also like the mirror approach - move close intervals UP. I find this to be effective when arranging for multiple instruments, as ending up with tight intervals in the bass *can* get muddy.

Anything to get more usage of open chords!
Thank you!
Yeah, everything that has been forbidden in old music theory is interesting and useful.[emoji4]
It's interesting when open strings are used too, how voicings resonate. They sound different with other instruments without open strings.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:42 PM

Mikko. Sounds really amazing! Those are gorgeous chords. I'm going to learn them in front of the computer. I wish you showed the fretboard straight on instead of at an angle.
Super moved by your feeling and impressed by your virtuosity.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
Mikko. Sounds really amazing! Those are gorgeous chords. I'm going to learn them in front of the computer. I wish you showed the fretboard straight on instead of at an angle.

Super moved by your feeling and impressed by your virtuosity.
Thank you very much! I have to be more aware of angles in future. Thank you for the feedback!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write