The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-13-2020, 06:08 AM

Default Tonedexter - creating wavemaps from guitars without pickups?

I am thinking about getting a tonedexter.

Ideally, I would like to use it with a sadowsky nylon string for input (i dont own this guitar yet):

https://www.sadowsky.com/sadowsky-in...lectric-nylon/

And i would like to create wavemaps from my current nylon string acoustic guitars, which are excellent guitars but do NOT have pickups installed.

Is there a way to create tonedexter wavemaps for my guitars that don’t currently have a pickup installed?
Old 07-13-2020, 07:19 AM

Any individual wavemap is a "bridge" between the pickup signal and the mic signal of any individual guitar. Each pickup/mic/guitar combination is unique and will produce a wavemap which (ideally) makes that guitar/pickup sound like that guitar/mic.

Change or remove any element of the system and the equation either changes or can't be completed.

There is a certain overlap so that a wavemap created for one instrument will sound subjectively good on another, sometimes radically different instrument but that's really difficult to predict. In other circumstances instruments which you might imagine would create similar wavemaps are not interchangeable.

You may be lucky but it's not really difficult or expensive (once you've bought the TD) to do it properly.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Fish View Post
Is there a way to create tonedexter wavemaps for my guitars that don’t currently have a pickup installed?
No. It's kind of like asking how to make macaroni and cheese without the cheese.

An impulse response (what ToneDexter calls wavemap) of an instrument requires two signals. The microphone signal is one, and the pickup is the other.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification