The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 07:28 PM

Default second that!

I second Vindi's comments above. I too had an HD 28v, and though a beautiful guitar, I sold it after a few gigs. The problem was that it would thump along beautifully, with lots of oomf and punch, but it just didn't reach up and accompany the vocals, and for finger style the notes just didn't sparkle and bite in the upper registers.
I have since become a J45 aficionado, and will continue to recommend them to anyone who will listen. Mine is rolling beautifully into several years now. It provides brilliant range and sparkle for finger style, and lots of bells and bright clear thwack with chords.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Since you say you teach voice, I think the J45 would be perfect for you. Gibsons tend to be great accompany guitars, but the J45 goes far beyond that in what it can do. Personally I think it might be a better choice than the HD-28VTS. About 2 years ago I got to play a regular HD-28 vs the VTS model and like the regular version better. Obviously someone else did too, as after a week the regular model had been sold but the VTS model hung around for awhile. Of course this is all personal opinion.
Yeah I am not locked into the idea of the VTS just was a good deal on it. I dunno how easily can walk into a GC and demo guitars here at the moment but am going to try this week a bit to refresh on them both. Do not wanna bug someone on CL unless truly ready to buy but for a good price it is still kind of risk free.

Last edited by ‘63-Strat; 09-21-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
You may want to investigate some of the online dealers/sponsors here on the forum before you go too much farther. From what I've heard here in the last year, it sounds like some of the sponsors here discount new instruments enough that you could get a new instrument (if that's attractive to you) with the manufacturer's lifetime warrantee for not much more than you pay for an used instrument.
Yeah I have seen that mentioned several times in other threads too. Can someone PM me which ones you think would do that? Thank you.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspe View Post
I second Vindi's comments above. I too had an HD 28v, and though a beautiful guitar, I sold it after a few gigs. The problem was that it would thump along beautifully, with lots of oomf and punch, but it just didn't reach up and accompany the vocals, and for finger style the notes just didn't sparkle and bite in the upper registers.
I have since become a J45 aficionado, and will continue to recommend them to anyone who will listen. Mine is rolling beautifully into several years now. It provides brilliant range and sparkle for finger style, and lots of bells and bright clear thwack with chords.
Yeah that sounds like a great fit. My poor 812CE has been gigged a ton in the last 20 years and is showing a lot of wear. On the other hand it has more than earned its keep and for me every guitar will get gigged which is why I do not mind a few dings buying used.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:40 PM

I have an SJ45 that I absolutely love for singing accompaniment. It is 30 years old and has scalloping on the braces so it’s more like an old Southern Jumbo than a true J45. I also have a D41 Special which is like a more fancy and slightly brighter sounding HD28V. It works quite well for most anything. It has a bit of sparkle to calm the woof and brighten everything up a bit which makes it great for singing too.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:07 PM

Also the VTS sounds different than the HD 28 and the HD 28 V. I got to compare them all when the GC stocked better guitars. For me the V was overwhelming in the bass and I didn't like the neck, the regular HD 28 had too much sustain. I'm just saying all this so you don't think they're interchangeable.
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 09-21-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ‘63-Strat View Post
Yeah I definitely do like guitar centers return policy.
. . . And we complain that the inventory at big-box retailers are mostly dogs.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
. . . And we complain that the inventory at big-box retailers are mostly dogs.
I’m only talking in relation to their used instruments though, not new ones, lol. I get your point though. I have yet to ever buy a guitar from guitar center let alone return one fwiw.

Last edited by ‘63-Strat; 09-21-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:04 AM

I would suggest a Rosewood backed J-45 Custom. You get that quintessential J-45 thump with the added complexity of rosewood. I love mine.

I think a big difference in a J-45 and an HD-28, despite woods and scale length is the angle on the X-brace. AJ bracing, which is on the J-45 TV and the J-35, is at a greater angle than the standard J-45. This tends to give a more a Gibson a slightly more of a Martin sound.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 09-22-2020, 11:16 PM

I was in this predicament as well but with a D-28 VTS. I went with the D-28 then picked up a used J-45 Vintage months later. They're both great guitars but also different as many have posted before. Hate to break it to you but with either choice you make, you'll be thinking about the other. I tell myself (and my wife) it's not GAS but "options" instead.
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 09-22-2020, 11:31 PM

Default Sponsor Directory

Here you go.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=369815
Old 09-23-2020, 02:10 AM

Very different guitars.

I’m more confused about ordering a 2k guitar Before actually playing it. You do understand that 2 J-45s and two Martin HD 28s. Even if they are literally one serial number apart made on the same day can potentially sound completely different.

I do not know where you live or what the situation is for music stores near you but I would say if there’s any chance whatsoever go in and play the guitars. One of them will stick out to you.

I guess if there’s absolutely no chance to go in and play the guitars because you were in the middle of Montana or some thing and there’s no music stores that carry them within hours then try to figure out whether you prefer mahogany or Rosewood. But those are just very different guitars.

At least you are looking at nice high end all solid wood instruments. But when you are doing that I hope that you understand that the model doesn’t mean a whole lot as every guitar is different.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:12 AM

And it’s completely personal preference. But I would choose Gibson over the Martin every single time between those two guitars. But again that has nothing to do with how good the guitars are it’s just personal preference. Which is why I pray you can play a few of them in a store.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Brand loyalty aside (as much as possible!) a good J-45 is every bit the guitar as a D28. Tonal preferences being personal, of course. While i always try to play any potential purchase when possible, in my experience, i would be a little more comfortable with a Martin long-distance purchase. Like I said (IMO) A GOOD gibson is as good as anything, but I feel like they tend to let a few more “less than stellar” specimens out their door.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarolino View Post
I was in this predicament as well but with a D-28 VTS. I went with the D-28 then picked up a used J-45 Vintage months later. They're both great guitars but also different as many have posted before. Hate to break it to you but with either choice you make, you'll be thinking about the other. I tell myself (and my wife) it's not GAS but "options" instead.

That’s the answer right there. Get both!
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion