The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-21-2020, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartop52 View Post
Wonderful job singing and playing a song that seemed special back in my 20's and feels even more profound as I approach 70. Thanks for sharing such a terrific performance and your high level production. Dan
Thank you Cedartop!

I'm glad you enjoyed this! Thank you for listening and taking time to comment.

I, too, remember when this song came out. It does feel profound 43 years later with us being so much older. I don't think that the things we do to make the world a better place in the service of love is wasted effort though. Perhaps I am just an optimist.

I hope all is well for you -- stay safe!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2020, 11:21 PM

Hey Glenn,

As soon as I saw you posted this I was looking forward to watching. And I’ll be straightforward, I didn’t think the start was as good as some of your other work (though, as you know, it still blew anything I can do out if the water) but oh my, how I was wrong.

Once the harmonies hit, it was a beautiful groove, layered and tragic. The 12 string solo? Who’d have thought of that? So well done and now that I’ve read tour comments, I see the thought that went into the tuning, etc. you continue to impress!

I didn’t want it to end. That was sublime.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 09-22-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbitterdave View Post
Hey Glenn,

As soon as I saw you posted this I was looking forward to watching. And I’ll be straightforward, I didn’t think the start was as good as some of your other work (though, as you know, it still blew anything I can do out if the water) but oh my, how I was wrong.

Once the harmonies hit, it was a beautiful groove, layered and tragic. The 12 string solo? Who’d have thought of that? So well done and now that I’ve read tour comments, I see the thought that went into the tuning, etc. you continue to impress!

I didn’t want it to end. That was sublime.

Cheers,

Dave
Thanks for watching Dave and thanks for your thoughtful comments. Much appreciated.

I'm glad in the end that you enjoyed this.

- Glenn
Old 09-22-2020, 10:05 PM

My life has been really full with a very big ongoing project in the lab for a number of years, and after being very active here on the AGF for some years, I don't think I've logged in here once in the past few years (I guess just over two years - "You last visited: 08-27-2018 at 01:00 AM" - and I wasn't very active here for at least a year before that). And, I've gone such long stretches barely playing my instruments that I even lost (and regained) my callouses.... twice!

But I ran into an AGF thread in a Google search, and thought I ought to stop in here.

And, first thing I did was to look up some of the people I used to enjoy interacting with - I'm finding a lot of familiar "faces" are still here, which is great.

And, I found this lovely recording of yours Glenn. Very very nice!

Last edited by wcap; 09-22-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
My life has been really full with a very big ongoing project in the lab for a number of years, and after being very active here on the AGF for some years, I don't think I've logged in here once in the past few years (I guess just over two years - "You last visited: 08-27-2018 at 01:00 AM" - and I wasn't very active here for at least a year before that). And, I've gone such long stretches barely playing my instruments that I even lost (and regained) my callouses.... twice!

But I ran into an AGF thread in a Google search, and thought I ought to stop in here.

And, first thing I did was to look up some of the people I used to enjoy interacting with - I'm finding a lot of familiar "faces" are still here, which is great.

And, I found this lovely recording of yours Glenn. Very very nice!
Hi Wcap!

How wonderful to hear from you! I was just thinking about you recently, wondering how you were doing! What an amazing coincidence.

I hope you and your family are all doing well! If you are busy in your job, that's very probably a good thing.

And I'm glad you thought my cover of "Dust in the Wind" came out okay! Thanks so much for letting me know!

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2020, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Wcap!

How wonderful to hear from you! I was just thinking about you recently, wondering how you were doing! What an amazing coincidence.

I hope you and your family are all doing well! If you are busy in your job, that's very probably a good thing.

And I'm glad you thought my cover of "Dust in the Wind" came out okay! Thanks so much for letting me know!

- Glenn

Things are super busy right now doing all online teaching (and I still have lots and lots of live things in the lab that I need to watch over), and a lot of the summer was spent worrying about getting prepared for this very time consuming way of teaching, and actually making some progress too.

And yes, what is going on in the lab is super cool, and a real privilege to have the opportunity to be doing.

I did manage to play some music this summer, and managed to recover some of my favorite original pieces that I was afraid I'd lost. I'd hoped to do some meaningful recordings of some of these this summer, but I got pulled away by other things (mostly lack of discipline to fit it in I guess).

I did do some outdoor recordings of some of my 12 string guitar fingerstyle arrangements (some are original pieces too), just with my daughter's GoPro strapped to my head to see how well I could document the fingerings this way. This did not give a polished recorded sound (it is surprisingly not bad though) but it did document how I play these things pretty nicely, from the same perspective I see the fretboard from when playing.

Maybe I'll post these here on the forum sometime, if nothing else just to show how easy it is to document original pieces and arrangements that you don't have time to write down.

Last edited by wcap; 09-23-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:28 AM

Default Great vocal(s) and playing!

WOW Glen, I haven't been on this forum for a while, I'm sure glad I tuned in today! I don't recall hearing your voice in the past, you have a great set of vocal chords! nice video work and as usual nice playing, love the sound of the Guild 12!

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 09-23-2020, 10:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

That was just great!
Old 09-23-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyguy View Post
WOW Glen, I haven't been on this forum for a while, I'm sure glad I tuned in today! I don't recall hearing your voice in the past, you have a great set of vocal chords! nice video work and as usual nice playing, love the sound of the Guild 12!
Hi GibbyGuy!

Thank you for your kind words! This was a fun and challenging song to do, especially from the vocal aspects. I could have done a cleaner job on the guitar intro -- there are few rattly or buzzy notes in there. I should have fixed those little problems before I put this video up.

However, I am glad you felt this came out well. The 12-string on the solo part sure has a punchy, in-your-face sound, doesn't it!

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment! It's greatly appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
That was just great!
Hi John!

Thank you so much! What an honor to have your comments and know you listened to this recording! I'm so glad you thought this came out well!

I played one your guitars once at an AGF gathering in Seattle. Smaller body, BRW back and sides and cedar top, short scale (24.9", I think), very nice inlay work. I tried to talk the owner into selling that guitar to me but no dice. He said he was taking it to the grave. I loved that guitar!

Stay safe out there!

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2020, 12:57 PM

Glenn,
Yep, you hit the ball out of the park again.

Tom
Old 09-23-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJN View Post
Glenn,
Yep, you hit the ball out of the park again.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thank you! It's very nice of you to be so supportive. Much appreciated; I'm gratified that you felt this came out okay.

I hope all is well for you.

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2020, 02:24 PM

Excellent 1+35 documentary on Kansas is now showing on AXSTV.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:45 PM

Loved it Glenn, such an evocative song and you brought that to life in your rendition.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 09-24-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Loved it Glenn, such an evocative song and you brought that to life in your rendition.
Thank you Wrighty!

I'm very pleased that you thought this came out well! Thanks for taking time to comment!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell