The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-18-2020, 09:00 AM

Go for it. 500 miles isn’t far. I went from Alberta Canada to Montana for a baritone ukulele. That was pre-Covid though. Nice drive.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:22 AM

I dunno, the words "budget car lot" combined with "237 miles away" seems pretty ominous.
Solara dropheads are not rare. Maybe wait for something closer?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-18-2020, 11:52 AM

We test drove the Solara convertible in 2008 and liked it. But my wife opted for an '08 VW Bug convertible instead, in tan over red. The Bug had huge doors accommodating my large frame and at the apex of the curve it was tall enough that I could wear a cowboy hat (I'm 6'-6") with the top up. It was a sporty and fun car to drive. We sold it a couple of years ago.

We probably would still have the Toyota had we chose that one. Our 1985 Corolla was sold in the late 90's with 192K miles on it. Mostly that one was sold because it was RWD and we had moved to Alaska by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
My sweetheart has volunteered, to make the all day, over 500 mile trip, to take me there to buy it....What if when I get there, it isn't as presented, and I don't want it?
You will still have the road trip. Take her out to a nice dinner on the way home, even if you don't buy.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Mini Cooper convertible in my house!
My wife has a Mini S convertible and that thing is fun and fast. I rarely drive it as it is cosmetically “girly”. I call it the go-cart.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:17 PM

MY end-of-life crisis vehicle:

Did this back in '18 - major adrenaline rush, gonna do it again when things finally open up around here...
Old 09-18-2020, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Don, I have purchased three long distance cars off ebay in the last 15 years or so. In each case, I made person to person phone calls first before making my final decision to buy. All three were what I call fly and drive meaning I flew one way from northern Indiana and the owners met me with the cars at the airport. All three were positive transactions with one being a '94 Mustang GT convertible with 5.0, automatic and cloth interior. The car had a few performance additions and I had a great drive home.

Just make sure and do as much research from home as you can and hopefully you can enjoy a great transaction too. Also, do not be afraid to pass on the car if there is anything questionable. Don't consider the day a waste. Much better to go ahead and check out the Solara in person to see if it's the one you really want.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:03 PM

I have rather esoteric/eccentric taste in cars - so there is ALWAYS a limited supply of whatever type of car I've got my sights set on. Thus, I always have to expand my search area to find what I want. Thus, I pretty much always have to travel for cars.

A phone conversation with a private party seller goes a long way. Dealers rarely know the ins and outs, and will say whatever they need to in order to get you to come, but you can learn a lot from a private seller. Discuss with them the particulars you care about, and communicate with them what your expectations of the car are. Get affirmation from them, that their car will meet those expectations.

Set minimum standards in your mind for what imperfections you will accept - and at what price concession - and don't change them once you're on site, checking out the car. Be prepared to walk away if the car turns out to NOT be what you REALLY want. It's a bummer, but it happens.

I've been disappointed once or twice, but overall I've had great success traveling to buy myself cars. My last one was a stickshift Subaru wagon with low miles and in really nice shape - to replace my old stickshift subie wagon with really high miles in really rough, rusty shape... Anyway, my girlfriend drove me, ON VALENTINES DAY, the 150 miles out to fetch it, and then the 150 miles home (in separate cars, obviously) after I bought it. She loves me and was happy to help me get something I really wanted.

Good luck!

My next will either be an early Acura NSX or a 997 Porsche...
Old 09-18-2020, 03:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
For the past few weeks, I've been on the scout for a my dream car, that I can have fun with, in my final years of geezerhood. I want a red Toyota Solara convertible, so I can feel the wind in my hair, (while I've still got enough hair to enjoy it!) as I cruise along, out into the sunset... This quest is a difficult one, since the rig I want has been out of production since 2008....

I finally found one, but it's 237 miles away! It's one owner model, with 86K, being sold on a budget car lot. I've only seen pix of it, but it looks to be in great shape? My sweetheart has volunteered, to make the all day, over 500 mile trip, to take me there to buy it....

This has me racked, & ravaged with anxiety. What if when I get there, it isn't as presented, and I don't want it, after my GF has gone to all that trouble? She will really be mad at me, possibly for months! Yowza!

I'm now in a quandary, wondering if this dream of mine can stand the light of day, or the scrutiny of sound judgement, in buying a 14 year old car? Any words of wisdom from minds perhaps greater than my own?

Don
Don, in 2014 I was on the same quest for the same car to keep at our SW Florida home. I’ve always been a fan of the first generation (‘98-‘03) Solara convertible rather than the second gen (‘04-‘08)...my personal preference...for my wife, when we tried the second gen models, the back window is a good bit smaller and the headrests kinda fill the window such that my wife found that she couldn’t see out well through the back window when backing up, and that was a show stopper for her. The first gens are not like that. The nice thing about the Solara convertible is that arguably, it has more rear passenger and trunk space than any other such car. Essentially, it’s a Camry and those cars are bulletproof and ride very comfortably.

While wintering in Florida in ‘14, it took two months for me to find the exact car we wanted, including color. We’re in the Fort Myers area and were lucky to find a white with black top, grey interior ‘03 Solara SLE V6 in the Naples area with only 30k miles on it. As per the pics, I swear it looks brand new, barely a stone chip. A private seller had it, only driven in the winter seasons and always kept in a climate controlled garage. After now owning it for six years, it still has only 38k on it and it purrs like a kitten. A friend also went on the lookout for one and bought a red with beige top ‘05 with well over 200k, and it’s still going strong.

I mentioned about the trunk space...I can put three sets of golf clubs or all our beach gear for four people in the truck with no problem.

Before buying ours, I verified it through CarFax to have its history. With the relatively low mileage on the one you’re considering, I say go for it. A few things to check about though. The Solara has a timing belt, not chain. According to the manual, the timing belt (and water pump while at it) should be changed after six years or 90k miles. Mine is way over that in terms of time, but way under in mileage. I’ve talked to mechanics about it and I’m being told not to bother with it until at least 60k. It’s about a $1,500 job. With the car you’re considering, I suggest you try to find out the status of the belt and if it hasn’t been changed, it should be done which maybe you can negotiate into the deal. Also look carefully at the condition of the top and test the function of the rear windows to make sure that the motor that drives them is functioning properly and with no weird noises. My top looks almost pristine and the windows motor has no sign of an issue.

Good luck, they’re terrific cars!

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-18-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:20 PM
Musical minimalist

Just today I decided to go the other way - after my Dad passed and I felt like I'd been put through the wringer, I stumbled upon a really cool Honda I'd not seen before on a lot while visiting a friend in Dayton.

I fell in love with it and two days later I found one back in Michigan, managed to sell my '16 Accord in two days and by the cool little sports car.

Just today I decided to list my little pocket rocket and go back to the Accord.

It's been fun, but I just want a bigger set of wheels again!

Toyotas are good cars, and 86000 isn't that big of a number, but be ready for brakes, exhaust, maybe even tires and a timing belt?

Maybe try to find a Toyota dealer near the seller and see if they mind if they give it a once over?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sportsecondtopangle.jpg (45.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg sportsecondbacktop.jpg (40.6 KB, 92 views)

Old 09-18-2020, 08:18 PM

Go!

Don’t feel like you are committed if it doesn’t measure up to your expectations. Buying a specific car that doesn’t really measure up to what you want would be the worst decision.

As far as your GF, find something to do in the visited city that she likes. Make it a trip that is t just about you.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 09-19-2020, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

My wife has a Mini S convertible and that thing is fun and fast. I rarely drive it as it is cosmetically “girly”.

I picked up one of my motorcycle buddies in my Mini at his house
in Charleston when I was down there a while back, he put on
a pair of those Groucho Marx nose-mustache glasses before he'd
get in.

-Mike
Old 09-19-2020, 06:07 AM

Don, remember, you’ll be dead a long time. So why overthink it?
Old 09-19-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Go!

Don’t feel like you are committed if it doesn’t measure up to your expectations. Buying a specific car that doesn’t really measure up to what you want would be the worst decision.

As far as your GF, find something to do in the visited city that she likes. Make it a trip that is t just about you.

Jack
I have to agree with this. I'd be less worried about the car and more concerned about the GF payback. I suggest turning the trip into an overnight and putting a little more fun into the destination.

As for fun cars from the past, the only convertible I'd go back to buy would be a mid '90s Honda del Sol. That car was perfect. It was an updated version of a Porsche 914: mid-engine with detachable roof that stowed in the trunk. Huge amount of storage space, both front and rear. I could carry guitars and amps. With the top off and the rear window down, air moved thru that car like a flow-thru tea bag.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I have to agree with this. I'd be less worried about the car and more concerned about the GF payback. I suggest turning the trip into an overnight and putting a little more fun into the destination.

As for fun cars from the past, the only convertible I'd go back to buy would be a mid '90s Honda del Sol. That car was perfect. It was an updated version of a Porsche 914: mid-engine with detachable roof that stowed in the trunk. Huge amount of storage space, both front and rear. I could carry guitars and amps. With the top off and the rear window down, air moved thru that car like a flow-thru tea bag.

The car is in Tracy, CA., which is not by any stretch of the imagination, a romantic destination, worthy of an overnight stay.... Her offer to haul my rear end up there, is an act of pure love, filled with the desire to get there, and be gone soon as possible!

Don
Old 09-19-2020, 03:25 PM

Down here we call an 'End Of Life Crisis Vehicle' an ambulance.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic