The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X30 Heavy Handed Strumming

Hello all -
Thanks for your time.
I am playing a bunch of songs recently that are more strumming oriented and the rhythm of these songs often have me strumming more aggressively than usual.
I like the attack and sound it is giving me - but my preferred small body guitars are a bit overwhelmed by it.

So, the search began for a Jumbo and I came across the X30.....

How would it handle this situation? Good for a heavy handed, aggressive strummer?
Old 09-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURRAY16 View Post
...How would it handle this situation? Good for a heavy handed, aggressive strummer?
I suppose so, but I find that it doesn't take much to get a really big sound out of my X30 so in a way it begs to be played with a lighter touch, if that makes sense....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-08-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I suppose so, but I find that it doesn't take much to get a really big sound out of my X30 so in a way it begs to be played with a lighter touch, if that makes sense....
This just makes my mind blow up... I have heard this in multiple places about the x30. Why make a jumbo that is not made to strum hard? I strum hard too and I love so many things about the x30 but this is the main reason I have not bought one. Every video i see is finger plucked and soft and the one strumming one put out there by emerald sounds bad...so I pass...

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
Taylor 320e Limited Baritone 2014
RainSong Shorty SS 12fret
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Mainland Ceder/RW tenor Uke.
Outdoor tenor Uke
Heywire Custom Swamp ash Strat
Old 09-08-2020, 02:44 PM

The X20 handles hard strumming really well too. I'd say scan the classifieds and take whichever one pops up first. If you hate it you'll only be out shipping cost.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-08-2020, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revj View Post
This just makes my mind blow up... I have heard this in multiple places about the x30. Why make a jumbo that is not made to strum hard? I strum hard too and I love so many things about the x30 but this is the main reason I have not bought one. Every video i see is finger plucked and soft and the one strumming one put out there by emerald sounds bad...so I pass...
I am at least glad I am not the only one! I have been trying to find videos of heavier strumming on one and have not found one - I felt that a jumbo should handle it, but cannot find solid info on it.

I love the idea and design of the X30 - I just need someone to sell me on this part!
Old 09-08-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Maybe I wasn't clear. The X30 handles heavy strumming just fine, but if the point of your heavy strumming is to make a loud sound and not just work out your frustrations, the X30 does not need to be strummed hard to make a loud sound. Look at it this way. You have a 1972 VW Beetle and a Corvette and your goal is to go fast. You don't have to press the Corvette's gas pedal very hard to go fast, but you'll have to be going downhill with a tailwind and push the accelerator of the Beetle to the floor to even simulate going fast...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-09-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

l've found that my Emerald 7, 10, & 20 strummed just fine, with lots of projection without distortion. And, from what I've seen and heard, the 30 doesn't need a hard push to excel in projection. I can also see where an instrument might put out so much power that you would have a wall of sound that approached the level of noise.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
...And, from what I've seen and heard, the 30 doesn't need a hard push to excel in projection...
Exactly......................
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-08-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURRAY16 View Post
I am at least glad I am not the only one! I have been trying to find videos of heavier strumming on one and have not found one - I felt that a jumbo should handle it, but cannot find solid info on it.

I love the idea and design of the X30 - I just need someone to sell me on this part!
I just acquired an X30 and you can read my thoughts in more detail if you care to.

I have a heavy hand when I want volume and the X30 delivers a big sound that rivals any dred I've ever played. Yet when it's time to back off and sing, it settles nicely, easily heard and well balanced.

I was looking for the same demo and couldn't find it when I had the X30 in my sights. I just relied on the Polecastro video, when he said this is one big powerful guitar. He wasn't kidding. He said one more thing that was true, and that was when he commented on how comfortable the guitar was to play. That part is pure design genius and it's more ergonomic than my Grand Auditorium.

Rest assured, this is a fine jumbo guitar!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-08-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
l've found that my Emerald 7, 10, & 20 strummed just fine, with lots of projection without distortion. And, from what I've seen and heard, the 30 doesn't need a hard push to excel in projection. I can also see where an instrument might put out so much power that you would have a wall of sound that approached the level of noise.
I can see where you might think that, but there's a "softness" to the X30's volume that I attribute (with no proof) to the carbon fiber. I've heard no distortion even when I dig in.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-09-2020, 05:49 AM

Anyone used an x30 in a bluegrass jam session, up against banjo and fiddle? If so , how did it fare?
Martin:’67 D28/‘90 D18MB/‘98 D28LF #21 /‘10 OM28V /‘17 D18 & 0000-18 Sinker Mahogany
‘21 D28A aged Martin
‘08 HD28V
‘12 D2HA & ‘23 D1A Collings
‘98 Gibson Chet Atkins CG
‘21 Gretsch G6120 Eddie Cochran
‘22 Gretsch G6120 Brian Setzer Smoke
‘18 Gretsch G6128T-57VS-CDG
‘98 Gibson E Scruggs Golden Deluxe
‘07 Osborne Chief
‘64Gibson RB-250
Old 09-09-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinngibson View Post
Anyone used an x30 in a bluegrass jam session, up against banjo and fiddle? If so , how did it fare?
I would really like to hear answers to this. Great question.

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
Taylor 320e Limited Baritone 2014
RainSong Shorty SS 12fret
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Mainland Ceder/RW tenor Uke.
Outdoor tenor Uke
Heywire Custom Swamp ash Strat
Old 09-09-2020, 09:42 AM

I use my X20 all the time in bluegrass and other jams and it does fine. But the X30 is a bit uncomfortable for my still recovering right shoulder (rotator cuff surgery last year) so I'm not inclined to take X30 and commit to a two-hour jam. I may have to try that soon, since we've recently started jamming outdoors again. I did use it to guide an outdoor ukulele jam - that beginner level group needs some rhythm leadership to stay on the beat.

My take is like several others, including Goodallboy. X30 produces plenty of power but you don't have to thrash it to get there. Trash away if you want - it can take it, especially with medium gauge strings.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My take is like several others, including Goodallboy. X30 produces plenty of power but you don't have to thrash it to get there. Trash away if you want - it can take it, especially with medium gauge strings.
That’s been my experience with my new X20. It’s surprisingly loud with medium strumming, and I’m getting used to playing with a lighter touch. It handles hard strumming just fine, but I’ve found it’s just not necessary.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-09-2020, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Thank you all for the insight - and for people checking back in to clarify - it helped immensely and I think I may jump in and take a chance on one unplaced.

Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber