The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-07-2020, 01:55 AM

Default Mid price resonators

I have a dobro F60 spider bridge and I’m looking to change it for a metal body biscuit cone. Can’t afford a national or a prestige brand. Looking at around £1k sterling. Maybe a touch more. Always prefer used. Any suggestions on good quality at that price point. Republic aren’t available in the U.K. Michael Messer has a good rep but not ever had my hands on one.
1966 Gibson LG1
1985 dobro resonator
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Partscaster Tele.
Cigar box
Dulcimer
Old 08-07-2020, 02:23 AM

Hi Bobby,

There isn't a great selection of budget resonators in the UK now. I recommend the MM resonators. I had an MM Blues, that I sold because it was too heavy for my hernia! Otherwise it was a great guitar.

I still have the Blues 28 wooden body resonator which is fine.

The advantage of the MM resonators over the Recording King and Gretsch resonators is the quality control. They are designed by MM, set up by Dave King, the UK NRP tech, then checked by MM. before being delivered.

If you join the forum https://michaelmesser.proboards.com/
you could ask if you can try one of the members' guitars .The members are obliging.

Regards,

Phil
MM Blues resonator
Seagull S6 Original
Old 08-07-2020, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansch View Post
Hi Bobby,

There isn't a great selection of budget resonators in the UK now. I recommend the MM resonators. I had an MM Blues, that I sold because it was too heavy for my hernia! Otherwise it was a great guitar.

I still have the Blues 28 wooden body resonator which is fine.

The advantage of the MM resonators over the Recording King and Gretsch resonators is the quality control. They are designed by MM, set up by Dave King, the UK NRP tech, then checked by MM. before being delivered.

If you join the forum https://michaelmesser.proboards.com/
you could ask if you can try one of the members' guitars .The members are obliging.

Regards,

Phil
Hey Phil. Thanks brother. Really useful to know. I am veering towards the MM guitars but always nervy if you’ve not laid hands on one. I will need to sell my dobro first though. Incidentally, if you haven’t come across him already, check out Delta Resonators by John Alderson in Hinckley. Incredible guitars. He fixed a headstock break on my dobro and did something to the cone that made it sweeter than when I bought it.
1966 Gibson LG1
1985 dobro resonator
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Partscaster Tele.
Cigar box
Dulcimer
Old 08-07-2020, 03:36 PM

If I were in the UK I'd definitely go MM. Just go to his forum and look at his responsiveness, willingness to help people with other brands, and his general attitude.

You know how you will be treated if you need anything.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebobby View Post
I have a dobro F60 spider bridge and I’m looking to change it for a metal body biscuit cone. Can’t afford a national or a prestige brand. Looking at around £1k sterling. Maybe a touch more. Always prefer used. Any suggestions on good quality at that price point. Republic aren’t available in the U.K. Michael Messer has a good rep but not ever had my hands on one.
Republic Guitars can be shipped to the UK. These are likely as close to a National resonator as you can get for a quarter of the price. I recently bought a Republic Duolian in tarnished nickel finish and I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. Republic Guitars

My Republic Duolian Review
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-10-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

I'm very happy with my Gold Tone Beard model squareneck. I know they make round necks too. Solid wood and sent to Beard for the resonator.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-15-2020, 05:48 PM

Another satisfied Republic owner. I have the maple Minolian parlor. It’s a good instrument and they stand behind it, with good customer service.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments