The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-17-2020, 09:35 AM

Joyo's American is superb, but the Vintage Overdrive is the best overdrive pedal I could ever wish for.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Back before Covid, when I was out gigging most weekends, I went through all of them in search of that sound - Kemper, Helix, FRFR, 2x12 cabs, etc etc. I played lead in a country band, so I really needed that sound of a tele through a twin. What I finally realized is so much of that sound comes from those 2 12's and an open back cab moving a lot of air. So no matter how much your pedal or modeler sounds like the real thing, and trust me, Kemper (with the right profile) nailed it, without that 2x12 open back cab, it just sounded thin and weak.

My solution was a Fender tone master twin reverb. 35lbs (about my limit these days) and really sounds like a twin. Is it as good as the real deal? Depends - I played real tube twin's as backline that sounded horrible. I have a buddy with a twin that has had the bias tweaked, internal components replaced, expensive tubes put in and vintage JBL's in it that is the best sounding twin I've ever played. So it sounds way better than that back line one and not as good as my buddy's. But it does sound and feel like a twin.

I don't know what your budget is, but you may want to look into them.
Yes, I've done some reading/video on those, and I'm pretty impressed, and it cost about the same or less than a Helix stomp and powered cabinet, so it is on the table for sure.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:32 AM

Default Missing that Early 70's Twin Reverb tone...which pedal does the best job?

The one that controls the trem/verb on a non-master silverface Twin...
Old 09-17-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The one that controls the trem/verb on a non-master silverface Twin...
Yes, non-master
Old 09-17-2020, 12:05 PM

Buy a used EQ pedal. Boss GE-7 or MXR. They boost and shape. May not be your answer, but it's certainly the cheapest solution I can think of that is still a worthy addition to your other equipement even if it doesn't solve your twin dilemma
Old 09-17-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I have been blown away by fractal axe fx iii. So many great tones and amazing support. The updates keep coming almost every other week and it keeps getting better and better.
I haven't actually tried it but the fm3 pedalboard version would probably do the twin reverb tone quite nicely
Old 09-18-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takzula View Post
Joyo's American is superb, but the Vintage Overdrive is the best overdrive pedal I could ever wish for.
I tried the joyo I found it harsh with my FRFR setup,. The Zoom G1four is so much more but Thanks for the recommend,. If I hadn't tried it already I would have [emoji16]
Old 09-19-2020, 02:30 PM

I've been working this exact problem, more or less, since I've switched to electric for gigging. I'm looking for my old Princeton Reverb sound where it is decently clean at my humbucking guitar volume set to 8 (maybe a little richer) and light overdrive for solos at 10.

Some of the little amps are a nice option and I used my Katana Mini at a dinner party two weeks ago to amplify my strumming (with vocals) and fingerpicking solos. No guitarists at the party besides me but they commented they liked it as much as an acoustic guitar.

I was using a HX Stomp and it sounded great in every way, but was hard to adjust on the fly, and really needed their clunky 27 watt power supply to boot reliably. I let it go on eBay as it is more complexity than I need given I've stopped gigging with an acoustic guitar and my IRs.

I have a Behringer TM303 Tech21 Sansamp knock-off as a backup in my gig bag (battery installed). However no reverb which really hurts. It otherwise does the job set this way (be careful the other mic positions sound bad to me).

At today's Farmers' Market gig I used my Katana Mini plugging the speaker simulated output into my CP8 (along with two mics and the other guy's instrument). I think it sounded great for tone. I like the distortion using the clean setting better than the TM303 and about equal to the HX Stomp. You can't always power it with a wall wart (instead of a battery -- I have a Volto2) as with no earth ground it often hums. No problem if you ground it through it's backside ground terminal or plug the backside output or input into something grounded. The delay time and mix both set to 10 o'clock is almost a substitute for reverb.

I found a Yamaha THR5 level 2 on MF last week for $160 minus 8% reward points. Seemed like a good deal and if it works as well as the Katana it will be a keeper given real reverb.

I also found a mint Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb FDR-1 Pedal on Reverb today for $155 shipped and it is now on its way here. I'm not sure if it will be an upgrade to the TM303 backup or my primary amp simulator. I'll know in a few days.

More to follow.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 09-20-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've been working this exact problem, more or less, since I've switched to electric for gigging. I'm looking for my old Princeton Reverb sound where it is decently clean at my humbucking guitar volume set to 8 (maybe a little richer) and light overdrive for solos at 10.

Some of the little amps are a nice option and I used my Katana Mini at a dinner party two weeks ago to amplify my strumming (with vocals) and fingerpicking solos. No guitarists at the party besides me but they commented they liked as much as an acoustic guitar.

I was using a HX Stomp and it sounded great in every way, but was hard to adjust on the fly, and really needed their clunky 27 watt power supply to boot reliably. I let it go on eBay as it is more complexity than I need given I've stopped gigging with an acoustic guitar and my IRs.

I have a Behringer TM303 Tech21 Sansamp knock-off as a backup in my gig bag (battery installed). However no reverb which really hurts. It otherwise does the job set this way (be careful the other mic positions sound bad to me).

At today's Farmers' Market gig I used my Katana Mini plugging the speaker simulated output into my CP8 (along with two mics and the other guy's instrument). I think it sounded great for tone. I like the distortion using the clean setting better than the TM303 and about equal to the HX Stomp. You can't always power it with a wall wart (instead of a battery -- I have a Volto2) as with no earth ground it often hums. No problem if you ground it through it's backside ground terminal or plug the backside output or input into something grounded. The delay time and mix both set to 10 o'clock is almost a substitute for reverb.

I found a Yamaha THR5 level 2 on MF last week for $160 minus 8% reward points. Seemed like a good deal and if it works as well as the Katana it will be a keeper given real reverb.

I also found a mint Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb FDR-1 Pedal on Reverb today for $155 shipped and it is now on its way here. I'm not sure if it will be an upgrade to the TM303 backup or my primary amp simulator. I'll know in a few days.

More to follow.
You should really try the Zoom G1Four or G1XFour... Lots of Clean Fender Tones in there and it will run off a USB/USB battery pack
I also like the Marshall 1959 setup clean...
Old 09-19-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
You should really try the Zoom G1Four or G1XFour... Lots of Clean Fender Tones in there and it will run off a USB/USB battery pack
I also like the Marshall 1959 setup clean...
Another UI to dive into at a gig. I have used the G1four and think it is very good too, but I want at least four knobs, gain, volume, tone, reverb.

I would rate the HX Stomp UI ever so slightly more user friendly than the Zoom.

BTW, I should have included the Lunch Box Reverb in the above accounting. It is a very fine amp, but won't cover dinner parties as easily as a battery powered rig and I don't need the speaker for gigs with my CP8.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-19-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Another UI to dive into at a gig. I have used the G1four and think it is very good too, but I want at least four knobs, gain, volume, tone, reverb.

I would rate the HX Stomp UI ever so slightly more user friendly than the Zoom.

BTW, I should have included the Lunch Box Reverb in the above accounting. It is a very fine amp, but won't cover dinner parties as easily as a battery powered rig and I don't need the speaker for gigs with my CP8.
We are on similar journeys for sure,. It is clumsy to want to practice vocals and guitar with a mixer, Speaker and the Zoom, mainly the mixer, speaker, that you have to turn on and off and it's a little much in volume, I wish I could find a great sounding smaller amp for vocals, do the fender clean and when it's time for a lot of volume hook it to a PA speaker or a FRFR speaker like I have,. The Zoom I have on my desk and use the Zoom Lab software for adjustments. Easy at home but yes not gigable unless you get lucky with the adjustments at home and they work on a gig
Old 09-19-2020, 07:23 PM

These folks MIGHT know what a Twin verb is supposed to sound like:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...o-reverb-pedal

Old 09-20-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
These folks MIGHT know what a Twin verb is supposed to sound like:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...o-reverb-pedal

Now if they would give you a choice of Deluxe Reverb....Bassman and Twin in that box...I'd buy one..
Old 09-20-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
When I die I will be buried with my '72 Twin
My '72 Twin almost killed me bringing it back down to the basement after a gig, and I eventually traded it for a nice Martin D-17. But I traded it knowing I'd never experience that big open clear clean tone again. Nothing replicates being in the room with a Twin.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop47 View Post
My '72 Twin almost killed me bringing it back down to the basement after a gig, and I eventually traded it for a nice Martin D-17. But I traded it knowing I'd never experience that big open clear clean tone again. Nothing replicates being in the room with a Twin.
Couldn't agree more... My Twin wasn't actually a Twin.... Story coming up

I found a 1972 Dual Showman Head for sale that had been Black Faced..On Ebay,
Found a Empty Twin Reverb Cabinet on ebay also...
Bought two new Jensen C12N's
Bought a new SF Twin Reverb (Non-Master) Face Plate and tilt legs and put it together
And I had the Best Clean amp I've ever heard....I stupidly traded for a Rivera R30 (Or something like that)... And That was a POS..traded that for a Newer
BF Twin Reverb like they sell today....It wasn't even close to the 1972 SF/BF's Twin Reverb in beautiful Clean tone...

Stopped playing for about 5 years.....Got back in but with acoustics.... Could not find all the tones I wanted in one acoustic so I'm back to an archtop and multi-effects pedal...With a Mixer and a FRFR speaker, But I still miss that hugh Clean sound filling up every void in the room sound... nothing compares, Maybe I' try two FRFR Speakers....Stereo?
The funny thing was it didn't even needed to be loud to fill the room with tone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars