The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2020, 05:28 AM

Every pickup offered for sale has multiple competitors doing something roughly similar. The Ultratonic is unique and I think an impressive design.

If you want to avoid glue and want a minimum of stuff in your guitar, I like the passive HFN. You will need to address high stage volume feedback with a notch filter or high pass filter. Most acoustic guitar pedals include one or the other.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-17-2020, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I used K&K PM's for years and dealt with the feedback and low, boomy tone. Then I went over to Cole Clark guitars and that took care of that. But I bought a Martin dread and needed something and although like you I wasn't a big fan of magnetic soundhole pickups I decided to try a few to see if I could find something good enough.

I tried the usual suspects that everyone recommends and all were decent enough. Not great tone, rather electric sounding, but not bad. And NO feedback to deal with which was a breath of fresh air. Then I found out that K&K makes a soundhole pickup now so I bought that to try and I was very happy with the tone of that. Very warm for a mag SH pup and it has a neat switch for playing strumming with a pick or fingerstyle.

If you don't find a solution that works for you otherwise, you might want to give the K&K Double Helix Solo a look.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:13 AM

I found that the schatten hfn active pickup is very feedback resistant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification