The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-16-2020, 09:44 PM

I started working through Vol. 1 about a month ago and it's been a lot of fun so far. I've been a fingerstyle player for years and never made much effort to learn to flatpick until this year. This book has helped me make some solid progress.
2015 ARK New Era Recording Tone
2021 ARK New Era Ninita
2022 Martin 00-18
Old 09-23-2020, 05:56 AM

Default Using a Metronome this time

Thanks, Ledgerock, for chiming in. I was also really into fingerstyle for years before stumbling into a love of bluegrass music.

I'm endeavoring to go through the examples in the book a bit more rigorously this time, as SprintBob suggested first slowly at about 80-100 bpm, then working up speed. I'm very guilty of not practicing with the metronome as much as I should.

Right now, I'm still working with Exercise 22 to build up speed. I'm also trying to apply some of the learnings from FE1 to a song or two while I work through these exercises to keep it fun. I've been able to apply some of these skills to finally learn Norman Blake's "Randall Collins" (in Am), but am struggling to switch from alternating picking to crosspicking and back like he does in the second break. Frankly, this song is a stretch for my current skill level. Dark Hollow (in G) is also a lot of fun--but I find myself emulating Dwight Yoakam a bit too much as that's who I still hear in my minds ear. I'm finding that when I just hum the lyrics, I'm able to focus a bit more on how the rhythm guitar I'm playing behind the singing supports the song and vocals a bit better. I'm also less liable to flub through a critical bass walk.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write