The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2020, 02:04 AM

Default Plate Mate and Trance Amulet M

Hello guys, I'm planning to finally install the trance Amulet M I've been having since years now in my Gibson J-45.

I postponed the installation because I noticed that as usual the bridge pin fit was a disaster and the strings end have botched a little the bridge plate (see photo), so I was waiting to slot it and use solid pins.

Now, as I don't trust any luthier in my area anymore, I went back to the Plate Mate idea I originally had.

Any has experience with a plate mate and a J-45? Will it still allows me to place the amulet M transducers? Could they pick up any brittle sound coming from the Plate Mate ?

I really like the woody tone my Gibson has, hope it doesn't change it too much

Thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2020, 05:23 AM

IMO the bridge plate looks fine and the pin fit is standard for not tapered pin holes (Martin does this too).

It is not a perfectionist's dream but perfectly functional with lots of life left.

Tapered and slotted pin holes seem to be the AGF preference but most guitars are manufactured without them to avoid stuck pins and damage from pins inserted too aggressively.

I would install the pickup and leave the plate mate for when the string balls are resting on spruce 50 years from now.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-21-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
IMO the bridge plate looks fine and the pin fit is standard for not tapered pin holes (Martin does this too).

It is not a perfectionist's dream but perfectly functional with lots of life left.

Tapered and slotted pin holes seem to be the AGF preference but most guitars are manufactured without them to avoid stuck pins and damage from pins inserted too aggressively.

I would install the pickup and leave the plate mate for when the string balls are resting on spruce 50 years from now.
Okay thanks, I'll definitely trust you! No need to swap pins, or do other type of fixes?

I have to admit that maybe the first times I wasn't so gentle while swapping strings because I didn't acknowledge this issue.
But the most worrying thing is that as you can see sometimes the ball ends even damaged the SIDE of the hole! Like if the string end was in some way misplaced.

Don't know if there is a precise way to install new strings, I usually check if the string is resting on the wood and not stuck on the tip of the pin before winding it up...
Old 09-21-2020, 10:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanx View Post

Don't know if there is a precise way to install new strings, I usually check if the string is resting on the wood and not stuck on the tip of the pin before winding it up...
I agree with Jon Fields, I don't see a need to fix anything.

As for best way to install pins and ball ends, I'm not an expert. But I've been told that putting the ball ends in if you were rolling them into the hole, parallel to the saddle, get them below the bottom surface, and then push the pins in before tensioning. This way they aren't crooked against the plate, but rather evenly resting. I'm not sure how much this actually matters, but common sense would seem to indicate it would be gentler on the bridge plate.

Edit: the green one in your first pic is the closest to what I have in mind.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-21-2020, 10:36 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I agree with Jon Fields, I don't see a need to fix anything.

As for best way to install pins and ball ends, I'm not an expert. But I've been told that putting the ball ends in if you were rolling them into the hole, parallel to the saddle, get them below the bottom surface, and then push the pins in before tensioning. This way they aren't crooked against the plate, but rather evenly resting. I'm not sure how much this actually matters, but common sense would seem to indicate it would be gentler on the bridge plate.

Edit: the green one in your first pic is the closest to what I have in mind.
yes it makes sense, I'll try that! Maybe even pre bending the ball end a little bit.
F4i, here you have an additional no-strings shot of my j-45 bridge... just to confirm I didn't manage to destroy it excessively and it could last forever if treated well... ( )

Old 09-21-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanx View Post
yes it makes sense, I'll try that! Maybe even pre bending the ball end a little bit.
F4i, here you have an additional no-strings shot of my j-45 bridge... just to confirm I didn't manage to destroy it excessively and it could last forever if treated well... ( )

Looks very good. Try to enjoy the guitar and put away the camera :~).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification