The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Default How to?

My church wants me to finger pick about a dozen hymns to be used for intros on their Sunday live stream broadcasts.

The recording will be done in an empty sanctuary with me on the platform and the audio technician in the open sound booth in the balcony.

How should they mic my guitar? I could give them a direct feed from my amp. This is my choice since I can tailor the sound the way I want. If not this method, then what are my options. The audio tech has minimal experience
Old 09-15-2020, 10:51 PM

It's tough to go wrong with an SM57 a foot or two in front of the 12th fret, aimed somewhat at the soundhole.

Or whatever condenser is available, maybe 3-4 feet away, pointed right at the guitar.

Or the SM57 pointed at your amp.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denandannie View Post
My church wants me to finger pick about a dozen hymns to be used for intros on their Sunday live stream broadcasts.

The recording will be done in an empty sanctuary with me on the platform and the audio technician in the open sound booth in the balcony.

How should they mic my guitar? I could give them a direct feed from my amp. This is my choice since I can tailor the sound the way I want. If not this method, then what are my options. The audio tech has minimal experience
So, I assume from this that you don't normally play through your amp at the church? If so, it's possible the amp by itself could be loud enough, maybe even too loud, so I'd practice at home with the amp as low as possible so people sitting in the front don't complain after the service. Seriously.

So, yes, I would probably opt to go direct from the amp, and make sure that channel is not getting sent to the monitors, if the church has them. Position yourself so you're not in front of house speakers to avoid feedback.

Ideally, you could arrange a time to go and set up and try this out, have the amp & guitar on stage ahead of time and everything set up, in a muted/standby state, of course.

I'd only use a mic if you're comfortable playing in front of one, can hold still, seated probably, and have time to practice this with the sound person. An out of control mic can rattle folks pretty quickly.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:23 AM

There are three sound sources to record in this scenario:

Your amp line out - send direct signal to booth

Your guitar close miked - use suitable mic 12-18 inches from guitar

The room sound - use suitable stereo pair (preferably omni 10-12 feet from you, or experiment with distance for desired effect)

Blend three sources to taste.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD