The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-11-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winblows View Post
... and on the other hand, I only use "Acoustic Sim" and "JC Clean" types on my Cube, så maybe I should focus on which amp. is "better" for Cleans ...
Humm ,,, given this, let me complicate (or maybe cloud) the thought process even more
Perhaps since you already have the Cube SS modeling amp

And you think you may really want "interesting" cleans, perhaps consider switching gears altogether, and consider a nice tube amp.

For a bit more money $470

The Bugera Infinium V22 1X12 combo

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

Or for a bit less money $233
The Bugera V5 Infinium
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V5Infinium--bugera-v5-infinium-5-watt-1x8-inch-tube-combo-am

I don't own either of these but If I were looking for a sub $500 amp these would be at the top of list

BUT BE FOREWARNED (and admitting being a tube kind a guy). Once you go tube, much like the Hotel California, "you can check out anytime you like,,, but you can never leave".

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-11-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:53 PM

Fender mustang is pretty good stuff for noodling and practice, I’ve got and older one and enjoy it when I need something super portable to take to a friends house or just mess around on the couch, fender seems to update the app fairly often so that’s a plus... the Boss amps look pretty good too, never tried the Marshall...
Old 09-12-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I will say this...Positive Grid’s Bias FX 2 is doin’ some serious modelling. I’ve got over 100 different amps being modelled from my IPad Pro. Fun little piece of software. Gettin’ it done for now.

Been using bias amp for over 5 years now. Very serious modeling engine.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:34 AM

Default Fender Mustang GTX50 or Marshall Code 50

Quote:
Use google. I'm just telling you what I have read in terms of comments that are out there. It is a different product than a lot of them out there. I know it does modelling to a degree.

Some, more than a few, out there are calling it a solid state amp with effects...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discu...-modelling-amp

It's a bit grey compared to the average "modelling amp"...

I have no horse in this race. I'm personally more interested in amp profilers than I am in modellers...Kemper... ;-0

I don’t see where’s the debate about it. It is a modeling amp because of the simple fact that it has digitally processed tube amp tones. Just because it’s not like a mustang which has names of Fender amps in their models, doesn’t mean that the Katana doesn’t model popular tube amp tones.

I used to have an older Marshall MG250DFX. Now, that was by definition a solid state amp with effects. It didn’t try to model different tube amp tones. It had a clean channel, and overdrive channel which tried to mimic a tube Marshall tone, and 3 digital effects (reverb, chorus, and delay).
Old 09-12-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Been using bias amp for over 5 years now. Very serious modeling engine.
Would Bias Amp benefit me all that much beyond Bias FX?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-12-2020, 05:50 AM

I'm happy to participate on this forum. All the help I already have got.
WOW!
So, the original question in this thread is now colourued by variety of models and amp tones.
Now, since @KevWind introduced the tube Bugera and tubes produces a nice "clean" and I like "clean" (probably won't experiment with other tones much), I am ready to turn over to the tube side ...
Old 09-12-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I don’t see where’s the debate about it. It is a modeling amp because of the simple fact that it has digitally processed tube amp tones. Just because it’s not like a mustang which has names of Fender amps in their models, doesn’t mean that the Katana doesn’t model popular tube amp tones.

I used to have an older Marshall MG250DFX. Now, that was by definition a solid state amp with effects. It didn’t try to model different tube amp tones. It had a clean channel, and overdrive channel which tried to mimic a tube Marshall tone, and 3 digital effects (reverb, chorus, and delay).
Not to kick a dead horse, just for info: honestly, this is Boss's fault. I remember when they first came out with the series, they wouldn't give a straight answer on the origin of the amp models. Certainly possible that's because they started with and updated their COSM models but didn't like the image that conveyed in terms of innovation. Most reputable reviewers wrote about them as if they were digital models, but there was always enough ambiguity to create confusion. Add to that the normal wandering off course of discussions is various forums (like people saying they are Solid State vs Digital, which is of course a non sequitur) or people confusing presets with "amp models" (like already in this thread) and it's not surprising that people think it's "debatable" that these are modeling amps.

And I agree with the earlier poster, it's not like it really matters. They are great little amps for what they are, excellent value.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
WOW!
So, the original question in this thread is now colourued by variety of models and amp tones.
Now, since @KevWind introduced the tube Bugera and tubes produces a nice "clean" and I like "clean" (probably won't experiment with other tones much), I am ready to turn over to the tube side ...
Ha as I noted I don't own a Bugera but several members here do, AGF member Steve DeRosa is one, and very knowledgable about them as well as very helpful... Perhaps he will chime in here, or if he doesn't and you're really interested you might PM him or just start a new Bugera Amp thread, and he will likely reply.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-12-2020, 08:47 AM

Smile

Quote:
WOW!
I love tube amps and have owned dozens over the years. They have a certain something that few SS amps can replicate. That said, they are heavy and tubes can and do go bad.

If you enjoy great cleans the Fender Champion line of amps do stellar cleans. Others to consider are the Roland JC-22 and the DV Mark Jazz amps.

Good luck in your search.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-12-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Not to kick a dead horse, just for info: honestly, this is Boss's fault. I remember when they first came out with the series, they wouldn't give a straight answer on the origin of the amp models. Certainly possible that's because they started with and updated their COSM models but didn't like the image that conveyed in terms of innovation. Most reputable reviewers wrote about them as if they were digital models, but there was always enough ambiguity to create confusion. Add to that the normal wandering off course of discussions is various forums (like people saying they are Solid State vs Digital, which is of course a non sequitur) or people confusing presets with "amp models" (like already in this thread) and it's not surprising that people think it's "debatable" that these are modeling amps.

And I agree with the earlier poster, it's not like it really matters. They are great little amps for what they are, excellent value.
Well said. I don't think I articulated myself too well in this conversation. Pandemic brain at its finest ;-0 They are doing modelling for sure, just not to the crazy level that other products are....i.e.: Like the software I use, and the other products we are talking about here in this thread...Katana is a much more focused level of modelling if you will...Some think that this is better (focus on doing less things really well than many things less well etc.)...Some don't...Can't please everyone...

Like any product there are mixed reviews for them, but for the most part the consensus seems to be that they are pretty incredible for what they are. I was actually going to purchase one and thought better of it. I'm just starting my electric journey after messing with acoustics for many years. With this said I decided to place my bucks into the guitars themselves for now and use what I already have for a preliminary "amp" setup (Ipad pro, an audio interace, a speaker setup, and some relatively cheap Positive Grid Bias FX 2 software). This decision has worked out incredibly well so far. Shockingly well actually.

After some research the plan is to eventually put the money I would have spent on a Katana or similar into what I think is more the direction I want to go longer term: Kemper amps. My assessment is that profiling is where it is at if you want to "do digital", not modelling. I have watched many videos and read a lot in my research. Many enthusiasts and professionals will tell you that with profiling they cannot tell the difference between tube and not. With modelling it is a lot easier to hear the difference. Very different technologies. There is no comparison. Just watch some of the comparisons and reactions people have to the technology out there. It's pretty remarkable stuff.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 09-12-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Well said. I don't think I articulated myself too well in this conversation. Pandemic brain at its finest ;-0 They are doing modelling for sure, just not to the crazy level that other products are....i.e.: Like the software I use, and the other products we are talking about here in this thread...Katana is a much more focused level of modelling if you will...Some think that this is better (focus on doing less things really well than many things less well etc.)...Some don't...Can't please everyone...

Like any product there are mixed reviews for them, but for the most part the consensus seems to be that they are pretty incredible for what they are. I was actually going to purchase one and thought better of it. I'm just starting my electric journey after messing with acoustics for many years. With this said I decided to place my bucks into the guitars themselves for now and use what I already have for a preliminary "amp" setup (Ipad pro, an audio interace, a speaker setup, and some relatively cheap Positive Grid Bias FX 2 software). This decision has worked out incredibly well so far. Shockingly well actually.

After some research the plan is to eventually put the money I would have spent on a Katana or similar into what I think is more the direction I want to go longer term: Kemper amps. My assessment is that profiling is where it is at if you want to "do digital", not modelling. I have watched many videos and read a lot in my research. Many enthusiasts and professionals will tell you that with profiling they cannot tell the difference between tube and not. With modelling it is a lot easier to hear the difference. Very different technologies. There is no comparison. Just watch some of the comparisons and reactions people have to the technology out there. It's pretty remarkable stuff.
Oh yeah, it's hard to go wrong with a Kemper. Although I played with a guy who managed to make it sound awful, and I felt sad for him knowing he could have sounded just as bad for thousands less.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Oh yeah, it's hard to go wrong with a Kemper. Although I played with a guy who managed to make it sound awful, and I felt sad for him knowing he could have sounded just as bad for thousands less.
Lol. Yeah, they’re a serious piece of kit. You need to know what you are doing when you buy something like that, and you should probably have some skills on the electric guitar to go along with it. I have neither so I will sit on the Kemper sidelines until that time comes...
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars