The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-17-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatofuzz View Post
I have a lava me 2. Great sound but incredibly fragile. It fell from a chair. Cracked instantly.
This is interesting news. Where was the crack located?

The thermoplastic CF Lava Me uses is supposed to be very impact resistant, flexible, not brittle.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:57 AM

Default Cracked lava me 2

It was a long and bad crack. I have it repaired by a carbon fiber professional. I am going to get it from him after work. Hoping the repair doesn’t affect the sustain and bright sound these expensive babies have. Anyway I am very upset with the fragility. I watched the fall. Literally it was on a chair. I will try to upload photos.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:13 AM

Crack in the top, back, sides? Looking forward to some pictures too (good luck with that).
Old 06-19-2020, 05:44 AM

Default Lava Me Review

Just curious. Are CF (or carbon composite) guitars meant to be drop-proof? I’m guessing it all depends on the height that the guitars falls from.

About 9 months ago, I dropped my Lava Me 1 from knee-height faced downward flat down. I forgot that I hadn’t zipped the guitar bag and lifted up the bag in a hurry...and guitar went boom. But miraculously, it was ok. A scratch on the lower bout and some buzzing but I remedied it.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

Last edited by Cool555; 06-19-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:35 AM
Guest 928

Cool;

I had the same experience with an Emerald 10. I thought the bag was zipped, grabbed the handle and when I lifted up on the bag handle the guitar flipped out and landed face first on a rock floor. No damage whatsoever.

I would think that there's a difference between CF weave and CF pellets--It seems to me that the weave would be more structurally durable.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:33 PM

In a LAVA ad, I read that changing the battery is not considered a user operation. So are the users supposed to send it back to the factory? Yikes! They would not sell many flashlights like that and this is the reason I didn't consider the LAVA about a year ago.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
So I don't think I ever wrote up my evaluation of the LAVA ME 2.

The Good:

It's cool. Well made, solid. Good fret work, tuners. Nice case. Not a toy, and not crappy.

Sounds pretty darn nice for what it is. Blindfold someone and they may think it's a lower price level D of some sort.

The on board effects are pretty cool.

The Meh:

Body shape... hard to get it to stay in your lap. There's no "waist" and it's slippery.

And this is personal to me.... 43mm nut. That's tight and too tight for me. So I let it go.....
So, how would you say it compares to the Journey OF660? Specifically the playability of the neck. I have not enjoyed how wide the neck gets past the 7th fret on the OF660.
2016 Fender Deluxe Tele Thinline
2022 Michael Kelly 1953
2005 Vintage TC200
2023 Enya X4 Pro Mini
2017 Makala Baritone Uke
Old 09-03-2020, 07:14 PM

Last time I checked, replacing the battery was not a 'user task' so I suppose that you must send it back to the factory every time the battery needs to be changed. This killed the LAVA ME for me. All batteries die, and I don't know how long these batteries last but sending the guitar back to the factory seems like little much. If changing the battery no longer requires the factory to get involved I would like to know.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:38 PM

Before I shipped a guitar back to China for a battery change (!!?) my Dremel tool would come out and I'd cut an access port big enough for my hand in the back of the guitar in about five minutes. It would probably take another hour to add a lining ring inside so that I could screw the port back into place, if that was a concern. Like others have mentioned, the narrow 43 mm (1-11/16") nut disqualifies this guitar for me.

We never did find out more about the location or extent of the cracks or see any photos. Or get an update about the pending repairs. Renatofuzz has not been online since his last post on June 17.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:50 PM

just tried lava me 2 and pro great guitars. lava pro not confortable for me for its ovations shape but it0s beayìutiful and sound very strong and deep. also lava me is very nice and effects are beautiful-. very surprised lava pro string spacing is 54 mm at the saddle too narrow. for me but it seems to be wider i don’t know why
Old 07-16-2021, 10:22 AM

Default Any stores carry LaveMe guitars?

Any stores carry these so someone can try them out?
Old 08-13-2021, 06:22 PM

Default Late addition to this post...

I bought the LAVA ME earlier this year and liked the feel and tone, initially, and while it was smallish to play, I didn't mind. The electronics worked for about 2 weeks then completely died. I read about other people having similar issues. I decided I didn't like it enough to keep it without the added features and sent it back. Ended up with an entry-level Martin and as Shakespeare wrote: 'All's well that ends well.'
Martin D10E-01
Old 08-13-2021, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

The battery issue would be a deal breaking deterrent to me also, but I wonder if they make an all acoustic no electronics version? I’ve been fairly impressed with unplugged tone of these for the price - I don’t see them competing with RainSong, Emerald, or McPherson on tone, but I think I could make it work.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:57 PM

I Agree. I did like its tone and feel without the electronics so would look at the company models down the road and see if they expand their lineup or mix it up a bit (or nail down the prior issues).
Martin D10E-01
Old 08-14-2021, 04:53 AM

I needed a travel guitar that avoid worries of temperature and heat, and that did not cost like an Emerald, so Lava Me 2 is perfectly suited. I have only had it for a few months and the electronics continue to work normally. Also, the battery charge lasts a long time, I only had to recharge it once in these months. taken in amazon prime's days I saved more than 20% and if I did not like it I would have had the opportunity to send it back without worries. the flaws are that it is not very comfortable due to the shape, the action is high and it does not have the truss rod (but by filing a lot the saddle I fixed it and customer care sent me a totally new saddle and nut for free) and the delay without 'tap' is limited: if I went back I would take the purely acoustic version (which costs even less). The Taylor GS Mini sounded better, of course, but not that much and being made of wood it was a lot more worried about carrying it around. I'm satisfied.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber