The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-14-2020, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Default NOBD: 1895 Lyon & Healy (Banjo related)

25-1/2" scale, an 11" spunover rim
mahogany neck-all new frets, steel rod neck reinforcement(OEM)
1 1/4" nut width
5 1/4 lbs
Tone is bright and precise.
neck is straight and low action, plays like a brand new one. using light gauge steel strings.

repairs & adjustments include: new French polish finish on the neck, refret, neck reset, installation of ABM planet tuners, a Schaller 5th tuner, new hooks and nuts, and a new Renaissance head. Needless to say, it plays beautifully.
purchased via Smakula Fretted Instruments, Elkins WVa. paid $1400, well worth it! (third one I've got from these fine folks, all 3 are top shelf in looks, function, playability).
Old 07-14-2020, 07:48 PM

That’s beautiful.

I’d be tempted to put a skin head on it but those renaissance heads sound pretty good too.

Congratulations
Old 07-14-2020, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
That’s beautiful.

I’d be tempted to put a skin head on it but those renaissance heads sound pretty good too.

Congratulations
I went thru a short skin head period yrs ago-lol
those things react to humidity change so much, its kinda like having an old truck you need to wrench on every day to get it running just right. I'm really spoiled with the renaissance or fiberskyn heads-once I get them dialed in-which isn't much at all-I'm done, never have to touch them.

I really like the tight precision this banjo gives. the notes are just wonderful-don't want anything different out of it. I don't play with nails or fingerpicks, just finger tip, so I like/need a bright tone and it actually comes out as smooth and round since I'm not using anything hard to strike the strings with.

d
Old 07-15-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

What A Great Looking Banjo--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-19-2020, 12:00 AM

I've done business with Bob Smakula a couple of times, though not in recent years. He really knows the subject of banjos in all their myriad variety far better than just about anybody else.

Daryl, was this banjo originally intended for use with steel strings, or was it designed as a gut string instrument? That was kind of a transitional period for banjo around then.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-24-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I've done business with Bob Smakula a couple of times, though not in recent years. He really knows the subject of banjos in all their myriad variety far better than just about anybody else.

Daryl, was this banjo originally intended for use with steel strings, or was it designed as a gut string instrument? That was kind of a transitional period for banjo around then.

Wade Hampton Miller
I didn't ask Bob that question, had it in mind, but it has an original Talon tailpiece(which looks like a Kings crown to me), i'll try to remember to take a good closeup picture of that and post here. I did ask how the neck laid with tension and Bob said it was straight(and it is). The more I play it the more intriqued I am with it. It is a really nice sounding banjo, bright but not crashy. the notes on all strings are clear and well rounded up to about the 15th fret, then they get a little thunky, but not dead sounding. actually sounds as clear and good as my modern day Nechville Atlas-which I have always thought was one of the best sounding open backs I've played(and why I own it).

goggled that tailpiece:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg talon.jpg (27.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by darylcrisp; 07-24-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

here's a better view of the whole tailpiece and mounting bolt-mine looks exactly like this-but clean and shiny chrome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OIP.jpg (8.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 03:30 PM

Yes, that banjo is very nice looking!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments