The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2014, 07:35 AM

Default Best Notation/Tab software for alternate tunings

I'm looking for Notation/Tab music printing software that will allow me to configure tabs and identify the open strings for alternate tunings. At this time I have Finale PrintMusic 2010 (Macbook 10.8.5). The Tab option is very limited and too restrictive for my purpose, which is to publish Notation/Tab scores in a host of alternate tunings. I see that Finale PrintMusic 2012 offers more tab options but does not appear to allow for individualized tab configurations and a way to identify the open strings at the beginning of the tab stave.
Any and all input is welcome.
I hope this thread is posted in the correct category. If not, my apologies to the AGF moderator(s).

Thanks,
Trevor
Old 07-09-2014, 08:11 AM

MuseScore is a nice freeware program for this stuff.

I don't think it's been fully released into the official stable version as yet, but the currently available 'testing' version does lots of very nifty things with tab notation... including allowing for open tunings. In fact last time I played with it I think you could create custom tunings, so you can pretty much do whatever you like.

As it hasn't yet been fully tested and released, I understand it can be a little bit temperamental, but from what I've seen of it it's well worth investigating. And its free!

There's lots of information here; http://musescore.org/en and the link to the 'nightly builds' test version page is here http://musescore.org/en/handbook/com...builds#Nightly
Old 07-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

MusEdit is also free and it is a really complete and powerful software. Has a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's great. Has a lot more customizable features than other software. Worth checking out in my opinion.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 AM

Thanks to both Zo and Jayne for your suggestions. All options are on the table at this point. I'm looking for as much input as I can get so bumping this back up to the top.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:50 PM

I'll try bumping this one more time. Any and all input is much appreciated.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM

A little disappointing to see so few responses to my query. I'll continue to research available options and perhaps try some other forums to find out what other folks are using and why.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I use Finale and Sibelius. Both work fine for any tuning and tab. These are totally professional packages that are used by any major publisher for guitar tab.

Tabledit and GuitarPro are 2 popular, and cheaper, packages that also support arbitrary tunings and tab. They don't look quite as pretty, but they work, and in some ways are more optimized for guitar than the pro packages.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I use Finale and Sibelius. Both work fine for any tuning and tab. These are totally professional packages that are used by any major publisher for guitar tab.

Tabledit and GuitarPro are 2 popular, and cheaper, packages that also support arbitrary tunings and tab. They don't look quite as pretty, but they work, and in some ways are more optimized for guitar than the pro packages.
Thanks for your input, Doug. Can I ask which version of Finale you're using and how you configure the tablature stave for alternate tunings?
Old 07-09-2014, 03:21 PM

I use guitar pro and like it very much. It can do much more than notation, it's also a good learning tool.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Thanks for your input, Doug. Can I ask which version of Finale you're using and how you configure the tablature stave for alternate tunings?
I'm not at my home machine right now, but I think it's Finale 2012. I upgrade every few years, usually, but haven't bothered with the latest. There's an "Edit Instruments" menu item that lets you modify each line on the tab staff. In Finale it's a little awkward since they want you to enter midi values for the notes. But I just do math in my head. If it's in standard, and says the low E is 48, then to go to D, I enter 46 (2 half steps down). If you have a midi keyboard or guitar attached, you can just play the note, I think. Here's a page that talks about using Tab in Finale:

https://www.finalemusic.com/UserManu...t10Guitar1.htm

I don't recall that this has particularly changed over the years, so the version probably doesn't matter.

I usually use Sibelius if possible, it's all just a lot easier. But most publishers want Finale.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Still struggling with the 2010 Finale PrintMusic software. Found the Edit Instrument button in the Instrument List menu but it's as dead as a doornail. Looks to me like it has to be hooked up to a midi instrument to work.
According to the Finale website the 2014 version of PrintMusic has a more straightforward path for customizing string pitches in guitar tab staves i.e. Window>Score Manager, Select tab staff, click Settings button next to the Tablature popup menu then click Edit Instruments. Does anyone have experience with this feature in the 2014 version?
BTW - Thanks for the help Doug, but as you can see I'm Digital Technology Challenged and still very new to this stuff. The most challenging Bach Preludes and Fugues are way easier to negotiate for me.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Ive not seen PrintMusic, it seems to be a "lite" version of Finale, and may have removed features like this. I wouldnt feel bad about having trouble, in general, finale has a reputation for making everything as difficult as possible. The full version, at least, is very powerful, and can do anything. But they make you work for it.

Last edited by Doug Young; 07-10-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:39 PM

I upgraded to PrintMusic 2014 earlier today and still can't figure out how to customize tab staves. Perhaps this is a function of trying to save the better part of $600.00 U.S.. Anyway, thanks for trying to help an old Canuck swimming against the Digital Tide!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Guitar Pro is available for Mac, Windows, Linux, iPad, and iPhone. I think it's really great for guitar-specific music notation. It's $60 and you can do a websearch for "Guitar Pro coupons" and often get 20% off. There's a free trial available.

If you click on the guitar icon on the left side you can set the tuning to anything you want. Here's an example of an alternate tuning:

Old 07-11-2014, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the Guitar Pro link, Dan. As I said earlier, all options are still on the table. I've been in direct contact with Finale Customer Support and as Doug mentioned and I had come to suspect, configuring guitar tab staves for alternate tunings is only available in the full "professional-level" Finale software program at roughly $600.00 U.S.. I will continue to research the main contenders.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alternate guitar tunings, mac operating system, music printing software, tablature