The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-11-2021, 08:16 PM

Yeah, I also ordered one. I’ve been wanting to get the Stompmix for a little while but they’ve been out of stock and loved this. Almost identical functionality but I don’t need it to be a pedalboard, happy to use on a table or mic stand to blend my Powertap Earth pickup.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-11-2021, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
Yeah, thanks a lot. Your review just cost me $199. However, I did include free shipping. That makes me feel better. Once again, the AGF gets in my wallet.
My bad! Lol!
Old 04-15-2021, 01:19 AM

Aaron i have a couple
questions. You had mentioned
in the review about the differences
in the gigmix and stompmix.
Is the gigmix case metal or plastic?
And you preset the gain
on each ch so its bouncing around
-12 db. During your review
you were turning the master
up and down generally around 75%.
Sometimes much higher. This
indicates a lack of headroom
with this mixer. I didnt note in your video
where the individual ch vol settings are.
So in a live gig would this settings be similar
or was it just for your review recording?
thx great review as usual.

Last edited by varmonter; 04-15-2021 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Aaron i have a couple
questions. You had mentioned
in the review about the differences
in the gigmix and stompmix.
Is the gigmix case metal or plastic?
And you preset the gain
with this mixer. I didnt note in your video
where the individual ch vol settings are.
So in a live gig would this settings be similar
or was it just for your review recording?
thx great review as usual.
Thanks! The casings are both metal but the knobs are plastic on the GigMix and metal on the StompMix which also has the metal bars. I didn’t notice a lack of headroom. If you turn each of the 4 knobs you get the volume for that channel. I’m not sure how these settings would translate at a gig since sound changes when you change the volume.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
And you preset the gain
with this mixer.
I have the stompmix4 It does not have as much gain as an analog mixer like Yamaha MG or A&H ZED10FX (I own or have owned). The ouput is then sufficient.

I play fingerstyle with a light touch therefore I need gain.

With this pedal, I usually increase the gain to the maximum until noise comes in. When using it like this, the output are hot enough and I have no headroom problems. Note that I used to have a Headway EDB-1 and could not have enough gain with a decent Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR).

Yamaha MG or A&H ZED10FX analog mixers provide more gain with better SNR but are much bigger and can't be powered by a battery pack.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-15-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I have the stompmix4 It does not have as much gain as an analog mixer like Yamaha MG or A&H ZED10FX (I own or have owned). The ouput is then sufficient.

I play fingerstyle with a light touch therefore I need gain.

With this pedal, I usually increase the gain to the maximum until noise comes in. When using it like this, the output are hot enough and I have no headroom problems. Note that I used to have a Headway EDB-1 and could not have enough gain with a decent Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR).

Yamaha MG or A&H ZED10FX analog mixers provide more gain with better SNR but are much bigger and can't be powered by a battery pack.
This is one reason I'm on the fence with this or a mixer... Mackie as the new Pro6 w/FX for $50 cheaper and pretty small in the mixer world...7x8 or something like that.But I doubt you can run it off a battery pack but a Power Station no problem. I was hoping that the EAE would fit in my Tablet holder it has a cell holder built in..But I think the EAE is a 1/2in to wide in it's smallest side..That would be great if it did...the EAE right under my tablet on my mic stand
I still might go for it and see if I could modify my holder?

Yep I modified it...The Gigmix will fit the cell phone holder connected to my Tablet holder.... This pretty much seals the deal for me... Puts everything within touch ..

Last edited by CASD57; 04-15-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
This is one reason I'm on the fence with this or a mixer... Mackie as the new Pro6 w/FX for $50 cheaper and pretty small in the mixer world...7x8 or something like that.But I doubt you can run it off a battery pack but a Power Station no problem. I was hoping that the EAE would fit in my Tablet holder it has a cell holder built in..But I think the EAE is a 1/2in to wide in it's smallest side..That would be great if it did...the EAE right under my tablet on my mic stand
I still might go for it and see if I could modify my holder?

Yep I modified it...The Gigmix will fit the cell phone holder connected to my Tablet holder.... This pretty much seals the deal for me... Puts everything within touch ..
If you want your unit on a Stan consider also the TC-Helicon Perform-VG
They can be cheap second hand.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-16-2021, 08:32 AM

My GigMix is suppose to arrive today but FedEx's optimism is dubious. We'll see.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-16-2021, 02:04 PM

Default My gig mix arrived Wednesday

I received my gigmix4 on Wednesday. It was totally an impulse purchase and when I ordered it, I was not sure if, or why, I needed it.

Turns out, once I got it, I found a great use for it. First off, it has a small footprint on my desktop and that's great. Secondly, the quality of what I'm hearing out of it is quite nice. Mine did not have an instruction booklet, but I found that the menus are intuitive and I was able to figure some things out quickly. I downloaded the manual and that helped.

I have a set of powered studio monitor speakers on the wall above my computer and I either plug these into my little recording box (Zoom R8), or now into the gigmix 4. I noodled around with my guitar into the gigmix and out to the speakers. Guitar has a K&K mini and I went straight into the mixer with no preamp. Shocked at how clean the sound is from this mixer. In just a little while I was able to dial in some rather subtle but lush delay, reverb, and compression and get an excellent tone.

I am really impressed with the seeming quality of this unit physically and function wise. I can even see that for a solo set up one guitar/one mic, this unit could do a great job into a powered speaker. I'll probably test it out with my Yamaha DXR-10 or 12 to see. I imagine it could be the center of a compact one person PA system.

So, though it was an impulse buy, I'm glad I bought it and I suspect that I'll find additional ways to fold it into my music doings.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
I received my gigmix4 on Wednesday. It was totally an impulse purchase and when I ordered it, I was not sure if, or why, I needed it.

Turns out, once I got it, I found a great use for it. First off, it has a small footprint on my desktop and that's great. Secondly, the quality of what I'm hearing out of it is quite nice. Mine did not have an instruction booklet, but I found that the menus are intuitive and I was able to figure some things out quickly. I downloaded the manual and that helped.

I have a set of powered studio monitor speakers on the wall above my computer and I either plug these into my little recording box (Zoom R8), or now into the gigmix 4. I noodled around with my guitar into the gigmix and out to the speakers. Guitar has a K&K mini and I went straight into the mixer with no preamp. Shocked at how clean the sound is from this mixer. In just a little while I was able to dial in some rather subtle but lush delay, reverb, and compression and get an excellent tone.

I am really impressed with the seeming quality of this unit physically and function wise. I can even see that for a solo set up one guitar/one mic, this unit could do a great job into a powered speaker. I'll probably test it out with my Yamaha DXR-10 or 12 to see. I imagine it could be the center of a compact one person PA system.

So, though it was an impulse buy, I'm glad I bought it and I suspect that I'll find additional ways to fold it into my music doings.
Can't wait for your update using with a powered speaker
Old 04-16-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Can't wait for your update using with a powered speaker
I'm using it in my "cave" going into powered monitors. I'll probably give it a go tomorrow into one of my powered PA speakers. It works great as a desktop mixer to the powered studio monitors and I have no reason to think that it won't work great with the PA speakers. I've only used it with my guitar, not a microphone. Probably need to test it with a mic. I may do that in a little while.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:06 PM

By any chance is there a USB out on this device?
Old 04-16-2021, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
By any chance is there a USB out on this device?
Yes but only for firmware updates via a PC.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:41 PM

Default GigMix4 Testing Followup

I tested my gigmix with a microphone. Discovered that it doesn't have phantom power which, for my use, is not a big deal. Sounds good with a dynamic mic. Plugged it into my Yamaha DXR-10 and, as expected, it sound really nice.

When I powered the gigmix off before powering off the speakers, I found out why you shouldn't do that. Obnoxious nasty loud sound. No harm no foul but I'll remember not to power off in that order.

I'm still impressed with this little box.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:26 PM

Smile

Just ordered it....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification