The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-05-2021, 04:41 AM

Default Pickup systems

Me again, with another question. This time regarding pickup systems used in Martins Retro series and the Yamaha FGX5.

Has anybody compared the Fishman Aura+ with the Atmosfeel used in the Yamaha?

I have been offered a used Martin D-18 E Retro at a solid price and would like to know about your opinion. Of course there are countless videos out there but i´d like to know about your experience in handling, maintenance and sound of both systems, of course.

Last edited by TellyJelly74; 04-05-2021 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyJelly74 View Post
Me again, with another question. This time regarding pickup systems used in Martins Retro series and the Yamaha FGX5.

Has anybody compared the Fishman Aura+ with the Atmosfeel used in the Yamaha?

I have been offered a used Martin D-18 E Retro at a solid price and would like to know about your opinion. Of course there are countless videos out there but i´d like to know about your experience in handling, maintenance and sound of both systems, of course.
I owned both generations of the Retro/Aura Plus systems. The original one with the 3 knobs was an excellent sounding system. It is digital and processes the signal with IR. But, it is flexible and includes a number of excellent features including compression, EQ, and blend. And, it's a Martin D-18, so it's hard to argue with. The newer version without the knobs is good, but no better than the other Martin/Fishman systems.

Other than that, make the decision based on the quality of the guitar and your finances.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:31 PM

Hello martingitdave,

thanks for your insights. The serial of the said D-18 is dated from 2014 and the guitar shows 3 knobs (well, 2 knobs and a tuner) on the photos. So i suppose it´s the first generation of the Aura system, the Aura+.

Do you probably refer to the Aura Blend system in the Modern Deluxes when you talk about the latest generation of the pickup system?
Old 04-06-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyJelly74 View Post
Hello martingitdave,

thanks for your insights. The serial of the said D-18 is dated from 2014 and the guitar shows 3 knobs (well, 2 knobs and a tuner) on the photos. So i suppose it´s the first generation of the Aura system, the Aura+.

Do you probably refer to the Aura Blend system in the Modern Deluxes when you talk about the latest generation of the pickup system?
I like the Aura Plus system for two reasons: one, it puts the controls and the preamp on the acoustically inert side of the guitar. And, it has more features.

I haven't used the new system, but I suspect that would be a second favorite? I was not a fan of the Aura/Enhance systems.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:41 PM

The Aura blend is fabulous but has less control than the F1+. My only concern with the older system would be getting spare parts down the line... For the price I see the Retro guitars selling for I would opt for the Modern Deluxe Aura Blend instead.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification