The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-08-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Using different mic angles

Recently I have been recording with 2 small condensers instead of my 2 AT-2035 mics. I was having proximity issues with both the small and the large mics. The other day I decided to try an "off axis" approach. In the clip below the mics are within 6" of the guitar, but they are mostly pointed down towards the floor. An AKG Perception 150 is on the treble side, Rode NT-5 on the bass side.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-20-2021, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

I thought the clip sounded clearer than other recordings with my two sdc.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-20-2021, 02:23 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If is worth looking into the frequency response around the pattern of a cardioid mic. Manufacturers will sometimes provide plots from around the compass. Many mics not only attenuate as you move off access but change response patterns. For instance, you'll often see the midrange drop off but the bass and treble persist as you move around to the side. Of course, that can be used in your technique.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-20-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
... you'll often see the midrange drop off but the bass and treble persist as you move around to the side.
One of the nice things about a cylindrical side-address mic is that a screechy violinist can't tell that you don't have it pointed right at the fiddle.

Couch Standards
Old 03-21-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Directional mics, such as those with a cardioid pattern, fall off in sensitivity as you get away from a front and center presentation. However, the amount of fall off as you approach 90 degrees or 180 degrees from the front is frequency dependent. The most fall off occurs with the higher frequencies. The least occurs with the lower frequencies.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:03 PM

Expanding on my earlier post, here's a chamber group recorded with two mics. One is between the cello and the faux-harpsichord; the other is above and between the violin and the flute. The violin and flute are about 5 feet apart and the mic's about 3 feet over their heads and equidistant from them. But it's pointed directly at the flute. Meaning very-not-directly at the fiddle. I think the balance and tones came out pretty good.

Couch Standards
Old 03-21-2021, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Expanding on my earlier post, here's a chamber group recorded with two mics. One is between the cello and the faux-harpsichord; the other is above and between the violin and the flute. The violin and flute are about 5 feet apart and the mic's about 3 feet over their heads and equidistant from them. But it's pointed directly at the flute. Meaning very-not-directly at the fiddle. I think the balance and tones came out pretty good.

I like that. The violin is still really strong though.

Here's another demo I did tonight with the "off axis" mics (I don't know what else to call it). The guitar is my Martin which can record very boomy. No real eq done, just light noise reduction and a string bump repaired out.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-22-2021, 10:19 AM

Barry.....It's either the guitar, your attack or your mic position, but your sound here is making the notes much more clear. I don't hear the flesh of your fingers and it makes the notes stand out. I'm thinking with the mics pointed down, you're able to lose that picking sound and bring in more clarity to those notes. But, what the heck do I know? LOL!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-22-2021, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Regarding mike angles sometimes it works well for me with a spaced pair of mikes (say about thirty inches apart and
two to three feet out) and sitting between the mikes and rotating my body position a little left or right listening for the
sound change I like the best.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 03-22-2021 at 09:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-2021, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Barry.....It's either the guitar, your attack or your mic position, but your sound here is making the notes much more clear. I don't hear the flesh of your fingers and it makes the notes stand out. I'm thinking with the mics pointed down, you're able to lose that picking sound and bring in more clarity to those notes. But, what the heck do I know? LOL!
Thanks Fred! Hopefully it wasn't a fluke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Regarding mike angles sometimes it works well for me with a spaced pair of mikes (say about thirty inches apart and and
two to three feet out) and sitting between the mikes and rotating my body position a little left or right listening for the
sound change I like the best.
I don't know if I'll be able to hear the differences with headphones plugged into my Zoom, but I'll try it.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD