The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-03-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Don't Think Twice Tutorial

Many guitar players play this song using the key of C regardless of where they place a capo. I learned to play this song from Peter, Paul & Mary and Noel Paul Stookey played this using D.

This tutorial takes the P,P&M approach to how to play this song using the key of D, which provides different and perhaps more colorful chord voicings. I hope this tutorial is helpful to those who are interested in learning to play this song on guitar.

- Glenn
Old 03-03-2021, 03:51 PM

Thanks Glenn for taking the time to record this tutorial.
It's a lot of work I'm sure.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 03-03-2021, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
Thanks Glenn for taking the time to record this tutorial.
It's a lot of work I'm sure.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. It was a lot of work; I spent more than three weeks putting this together. But, hopefully it will be helpful to some folks. I realize that not a lot of people on the AGF are going to be interested in this, but some folks from out of the forum who are looking in might.

I hope all is well for you and your family, Mike! Be well!

- Glenn
Old 03-03-2021, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Glenn, that is really something! Such a sweet sound. I’ve only had time to listen to the performance, and I can see how much work went into annotating that alone. This was the first song I ever learned, but in the key of G. It sure didn’t sound like your version

Really appreciate you taking the time to do this, and I look forward to spending some time with the tutorial.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Wow, Glenn, that is really something! Such a sweet sound. I’ve only had time to listen to the performance, and I can see how much work went into annotating that alone. This was the first song I ever learned, but in the key of G. It sure didn’t sound like your version

Really appreciate you taking the time to do this, and I look forward to spending some time with the tutorial.
Thank you Bob!

I'm glad you might be spending some time with this! It is a sweet sound. Sort of James Taylor fused somehow with Peter, Paul and Mary.

This is the most complex tutorial I have ever done. I had all kinds of trouble overloading my computer with this. At one point a few days ago, I thought I might have to abandon this entire project for about 10 minutes of despair. And then I figured out a way to reconstruct things to save the project. It worked, luckily, so I was able to finish this.

I think if I had realized how much work would be required from this project, I probably would not have taken it on. But once I got into it, I didn't want to give it up.

I hope this tutorial does you and many others some good.

Be well Bob!

- Glenn
Old 03-03-2021, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Glenn, many thanks for sharing your talents and your perseverance. A great example of what makes this my favorite place in cyberspace
Old 03-03-2021, 11:27 PM

What a labor of love and how generous of your time and skills. Thank you.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 03-04-2021, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Glenn, many thanks for sharing your talents and your perseverance. A great example of what makes this my favorite place in cyberspace
You are welcome, Bob! And you, too, are a great example of what makes the AGF a place of comfort and interest.

Be well Bob,
Glenn
Old 03-04-2021, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
What a labor of love and how generous of your time and skills. Thank you.
Hi Started,

Thanks for your kind thoughts and encouragement!

When I started my YouTube channel back in 2016 I figured I would just be recording a few covers and originals and see if anyone even took notice. Then people started to ask if I would put together a tutorial on how I played something. Don McLean's "Vincent" was the first time I was asked and so the first tutorial I made. (That tutorial has at present over 85K views, obviously because people love the song.)

What I found on YouTube, in particular, is that people are not as interested in being entertained as much as they are in learning how to play the guitar well. So, every once in a while I dig in and put a tutorial together because I know that's what most people really want.

Ironically, I have received some fairly nasty criticisms on my (free) tutorials because some people are impatient and don't want me to do any talking. I think some talking is fundamentally important, but I have worked to reduce the talking by using more charts to impart a whole lot more information. Trouble is, those charts take a lot of time to make.

The reality is, I can't make everyone happy. But I have learned a lot by facing up to the criticisms and making adjustments. I have also started several tutorials in recent months that have never been completed because they just require so much time! I should probably go back to them and finish!

Thanks for your kind encouragement Started!

- Glenn
Old 03-04-2021, 06:54 AM

Hello Glenn!

This was a treat to watch..thanks for going to the 'trouble' to share this. All the camera shots were terrific and captured the nuances of your great playing. I loved how you kept the high E string open on your D7 chords and how you play your Asus chords.

I guess what i'm trying to say is your technique with both hands is really a treat to watch. Oh and that guitar, not sure if it looks or sounds better - let's call it a draw!

You are an inspiration!

Your fan,
dale
Old 03-04-2021, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
Hello Glenn!

This was a treat to watch..thanks for going to the 'trouble' to share this. All the camera shots were terrific and captured the nuances of your great playing. I loved how you kept the high E string open on your D7 chords and how you play your Asus chords.

I guess what i'm trying to say is your technique with both hands is really a treat to watch. Oh and that guitar, not sure if it looks or sounds better - let's call it a draw!

You are an inspiration!

Your fan,
dale
Thank you Dale!

Thanks for the kind words! It's good of you to take the time to go through this video.

In the song performance I used the handmade Gerald Sheppard GA guitar that I bought used from a friend. It really is a piece of art, beautiful to look at, and also a terrific sounding guitar. I'm glad you appreciated this guitar, because I do, too.

In the second section where I teach the right-hand picking patterns, I used my Santa Cruz OM/PW.

Also, thanks for noticing some of the nuances like the D7 left upon as a D7sus2 and the hammer-on Asus2 to A. Over the years I have found that stuff like this adds color that I enjoy and keeps things from sounding stale.

Having been through as much technical stuff, both audio and video, as you have with the Lexington Lab Band, I very much appreciate your thoughts and comments on the video work. Thank you!

I hope all is well for you Dale! Take care out there!

- Glenn
Old 03-04-2021, 10:44 AM

Glenn,
You’ve done a marvelous job with this tutorial and I thank you for sharing.

My skills at this point are somewhat limited, so this tutorial may be in my future. With that said, at your suggestion, I will look into your Utube channel for something more fitting to my skills.

If you have any suggestions, I’m all ears!

Bill
Old 03-04-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Glenn,
You’ve done a marvelous job with this tutorial and I thank you for sharing.

My skills at this point are somewhat limited, so this tutorial may be in my future. With that said, at your suggestion, I will look into your Utube channel for something more fitting to my skills.

If you have any suggestions, I’m all ears!

Bill
Thank you Bill!

It's wonderful to hear from you!

This is the playlist for the 27 tutorials on my YouTube channel. I hope you might find something in there that is accessible to you. I do think the Clay Pigeons tutorial might be considerably more accessible to most people compared to Don't Think Twice, which moves so much faster and has so many more chord variations and hammer-ons in the accompaniment.

I have been thinking about doing some tutorials on some of the easier songs I have learned over the years that might be more accessible to more players early in their guitar journey. I think I will work on some of those ideas.

Thanks for reinforcing that idea Bill!

I hope all is well for you! Take care!

- Glenn
Old 03-04-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you Bill!

It's wonderful to hear from you!

This is the playlist for the 27 tutorials on my YouTube channel. I hope you might find something in there that is accessible to you. I do think the Clay Pigeons tutorial might be considerably more accessible to most people compared to Don't Think Twice, which moves so much faster and has so many more chord variations and hammer-ons in the accompaniment.

I have been thinking about doing some tutorials on some of the easier songs I have learned over the years that might be more accessible to more players early in their guitar journey. I think I will work on some of those ideas.

Thanks for reinforcing that idea Bill!

I hope all is well for you! Take care!

- Glenn
I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to produce tutorials for those of us less experienced players.

Although AGF is loaded with experienced/professionals, there are many with beginner skills who may, or, may not post but simply read the different threads.

I did see your Jeremiah Johnson strumming tutorial and will put it to good use. Your style of showing, slowly, the strumming “pattern”, is great for someone like me who struggles with “strumming by feel”. Although the slow pace was putting you to sleep, lol!

Hope is all is well with you, and yours!

Bill
Old 03-04-2021, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to produce tutorials for those of us less experienced players.

Although AGF is loaded with experienced/professionals, there are many with beginner skills who may, or, may not post but simply read the different threads.

I did see your Jeremiah Johnson strumming tutorial and will put it to good use. Your style of showing, slowly, the strumming “pattern”, is great for someone like me who struggles with “strumming by feel”. Although the slow pace was putting you to sleep, lol!

Hope is all is well with you, and yours!

Bill
Hi Bill,

Thanks again for your thoughts! I'm glad to know that the Jeremiah Johnson strumming tutorial was helpful to you! Thanks for that feedback!

Man! I hope I didn't look like I was falling asleep during that tutorial!!!

My family and I are doing pretty well. Thanks for your kindness in asking.

I will do some thinking about more tutorials that are not so challenging. There are probably a lot more people at the early stages of learning on the guitar who would appreciate some help.

Be well Bill!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell