The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-19-2021, 08:07 AM

Default neck repair caul

I had a guitar with a crack at the rear of the neck, just below the nut.A typical dropped guitar type of crack. I wanted a caul to help clamp the neck after gluing, but didn't have anything to fit the profile of the back of the neck. So, I picked up an epoxy putty stick, wrapped the neck in saran wrap, and worked the putty into the shape of a flat puck that conforms to the complex shape of the neck/volute area. Once cured, it was hard as a rock, and fit the area perfectly. It worked great, but I wonder how others manage clamping in this area where it's curved, tapered, and hard to get good clamping force?
Old 02-23-2021, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I had a guitar with a crack at the rear of the neck, just below the nut.A typical dropped guitar type of crack. I wanted a caul to help clamp the neck after gluing, but didn't have anything to fit the profile of the back of the neck. So, I picked up an epoxy putty stick, wrapped the neck in saran wrap, and worked the putty into the shape of a flat puck that conforms to the complex shape of the neck/volute area. Once cured, it was hard as a rock, and fit the area perfectly. It worked great, but I wonder how others manage clamping in this area where it's curved, tapered, and hard to get good clamping force?
I do it the "knuckle dragger" way. I spend hours cutting, sawing, filing, sanding and then gluing on some leather stripps to small bocks of hard maple. But man, I gotta try your method, I'm getting old and running outta time.....

1918 Gibson L-1
1928 Gibson L-4 (Blond w/Ebony Fret-board)
1930's Kalamazoo KG-32
1930's Gretsch F-50
1934 Gibson L-7
1934 Gibson L-50 (KG-11/14 Body Shape)
1935 Gibson L-50 (Flat-back)
1935 Gibson L-30 (Flat-back)
1942 Gibson L-50 (WWII Banner Head)
1948 Gibson L-50
1949 Epiphone Blackstone

"a sharp mind cuts cleaner than a sharp tool"
Old 03-01-2021, 06:36 AM

I use this - got it from LMII... Works great and can be re-molded..

https://www.lmii.com/clamps-vises/25...container.html

Blues Creek OM I built
Martin D-15M
Martin D12X1
Guild D-40 Traditional
Guild D-55
Alvarez MPA70
Alvarez AFA1965
1968 Harmony Sovereign H1260
Fender Modern Player Plus Telecaster
Fender 2019 American Performer Surf Green HS Telecaster
Gold Tone Beard Resonator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair