The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Dirt Cheap Hog 0/00 (sound clip added)

I have just received a Vintage Statesboro 'Paul Brett' Parlour guitar. Although called 'parlour' (Vintage are an English brand) it is a 00 width lower bout with a narrower waist. It has a mahogany laminate back and side but, on doing a little inspection, it seems to have a solid mahogany top. Scale length is 25.5" and nut with is 1 11/16". The neck is mahogany and in a soft V - it's very comfortable.

The neck set angle is OK - I should be able to get 2.5mm bass and 2mm treble @ 12th fret OK after a set-up. The fretwork is good - all seated well, and just a couple of spots that may need a fret level. The truss rod seems to work OK. The fretboard flies across the body in a straight line - no lump after the 14th (as on the Martin I received last week and sent back!). The top bracing and top curves look perfect (unlike the saggy tops on the last two Martins I received - both went back!!!!).

It has a plastic nut with that pretty standard cheap guitar narrow string spacing. I'll replace the nut with bone and also I should easily get a 1/8" more out of the string spacing when I cut a new one. The plastic bridge is going too. The tuners seem OK but I have a set of Gotoh minis that I'll probably install at some stage. All in all - it seems like an OK guitar that should do the job I want it to do.

What does it sound like? - Well, it sounds exactly like you'd expect a hog 0/00 size guitar to sound. My wife likes it, and I think that with a good set-up and the right strings so will I. It was her idea for me to just buy something dirt cheap via the internet and fix it up and then wait until I can spend some time visiting guitar shops to find something I really want. I have been very disappointed trying to buy something in the mid-range price bracket over the internet,

And the price: 99.00 GBP (that's $125 at today's exchange rate). I don't think that these guitars are available in US? It makes a change for us to be on the plus side of the guitar scales over here in the UK!!!!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 07-19-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:02 AM

Congratulations
Seagull s 12
Ovation 1517 s
Old 07-15-2020, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Full fret level and dress done and new bone nut with wider string spacing made and fitted. Saddle lowered a little but not yet replaced with a bone one (later job). Gotoh Mini tuners fitted and a set of Martin Reto strings. Hopefully I'll get a year out of those retro strings!!!

It plays nicely now, so I'll just see how it settles over the next few weeks.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

That's a cool little guitar. I've been looking at the Vintage brand since I saw a video with Colter Wall playing one. Not many outlets for them in the US.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-15-2020, 08:03 AM

Yikes, you made a new nut, added tuners, etc... in no time at all. Someone isn't getting any sleep they are so excited! Stay hydrated (you, not the guitar), eat and rest. And remember to sleep.

Congrats. Have fun with it. And if it's too loud after it 'opens up', you could always stuff some socks inside.

Interesting about your Martin experiences. You're very picky about your guitars - I like that. If you weren't half a planet away I'd pay you to be my personal guitar inspector.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 07-15-2020, 08:15 AM

Vintage are great for the money. I used to have a V300 folk. I've still got a V100 Les Paul a like electric.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Yikes, you made a new nut, added tuners, etc... in no time at all. Someone isn't getting any sleep they are so excited! Stay hydrated (you, not the guitar), eat and rest. And remember to sleep.

Congrats. Have fun with it. And if it's too loud after it 'opens up', you could always stuff some socks inside.

Interesting about your Martin experiences. You're very picky about your guitars - I like that. If you weren't half a planet away I'd pay you to be my personal guitar inspector.
LOL!!! I wouldn't say excited - more like short of time with all the house jobs I have going on! I used to do around 100 set-ups a year so I can pretty much knock up a nut from a rectangle of bone in my sleep

Quote:
Vintage are great for the money. I used to have a V300 folk. I've still got a V100 Les Paul a like electric.
Yes - they do make some nice guitars. However, the Statesboro range are the bottom of the barrel in terms of price. The one I have has just enough neck angle to be able to work with but you can guarantee that its brother or sister will be better or worse. I know how the Chinese workshops operate for these budget builds. It may surprise people but at this price point these are usually hand built guitars from small, family owned, sub-contracted workshops. The neck on mine certainly looks/feels hand shaped rather than CNC cut. This shot is pretty typical of the process:

Hand building like this means is you get variance - and I quite like the fact that you can get really bottom end budget guitars that actually have character. It is always worth picking up something from the bargain bucket when you are in a guitar shop and playing it. It just may have come from a small OEM batch that was placed with a minor workshop that was owned by a family of particularly skilled craftsmen and women. The difference between the guitar I have and a more expensive guitar will be partly the fixtures but mainly the time allowed for the build. My Vintage Statesboro guitar would have been turned out fast!

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 07-15-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Sound Clip Added

I have finally had a chance this evening to record a sound clip of my Vintage Statesboro Parlour guitar. I recorded it on a Zoom H5 using the internal mics and topped and tailed it in Audacity. No e/q adjustments just a little reverb added as my sitting room is as dead as a dodo. I have played a few tunes moving the capo up the guitar. I think it has that classic all mahogany guitar sound and, overall, the tone is not too bad for a very, very cheap guitar. Excuse the playing - I really need to record myself on guitar more often when practicing to get rid the the tension of red light syndrome!!!

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 07-20-2020 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Hard to believe that is a $125 guitar.

It doesn't sound 'quiet' at all.

Last edited by lar; 07-20-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:30 AM

I don't even see your OO on their website:

https://vintageguitarsus.com/acoustic-historic-series/
Old 07-20-2020, 09:36 AM

Thumbs up

Great sounding Hog guitar! Nice playing too! Congrats on getting that Hog!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hard to believe that is a $125 guitar.

It doesn't sound 'quiet' at all.
Relative to my dread it is way easier to sing across!

Quote:
I don't even see your OO on their website:

https://vintageguitarsus.com/acoustic-historic-series/
It is under the Paul Brett Signature Series and is the V880WK - this is from the UK website:

https://vintageguitarsrus.com/collec...ar-whisky-sour

Old 07-20-2020, 10:03 AM

Excellent little guitar and I enjoyed your playing very much.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-20-2020, 10:09 AM

Excellent little guitar and I enjoyed your playing very much.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-20-2020, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

At last we had some sun this afternoon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion