The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesaHut View Post
Well, I have the guitar unpacked. One concern that has taken me by surprise is the shaded area on the fretboard? Is that normal, it appears to be?

If its a feature I have seen no mention of it anywhere.

https://imgur.com/a/JCKj4Md

Most manufacturers are no longer using all black ebony due to sustainability concerns of those forests. The amount of and pattern of the lighter wood can be appealing or appalling, depending on taste.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Most manufacturers are no longer using all black ebony due to sustainability concerns of those forests. The amount of and pattern of the lighter wood can be appealing or appalling, depending on taste.
My research so far shows you to be correct, the effect is commonly called marbling amongst other descriptions.

It is now it seems the new normal when buying a guitar with a fretboard made with Ebony. Not only Martin but Taylor also.

If you're buying a guitar in person, and the GC has a few in stock, you may have the option to pick the one you like. I guess similarly, if buying online, perhaps photos might be helpful.

Given these are high-end guitars, I would think most sellers would be keen to oblige.

I'll have more to say about this guitar when I have had more time to play it. That said, I'm loving it so far!

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I'm surprised that Martin doesn't do a better job of lining up the color patterns on the ebony. That's a particularly bad example though, I'd send that back.

Taylor does the same thing. And Gibson does the same with the patterns in their walnut backs and sides. I know they don't want to waste but come on, they've got to make the guitars attractive.

Maybe it's a plot to make everyone want Richlite!
Old 06-28-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

I'm surprised that Martin doesn't do a better job of lining up the color patterns on the ebony. That's a particularly bad example though, I'd send that back.

Taylor does the same thing. And Gibson does the same with the patterns in their walnut backs and sides. I know they don't want to waste but come on, they've got to make the guitars attractive.

Maybe it's a plot to make everyone want Richlite!
I'm making inquiries about it with Martin and the GC that sold it to me.

What worries me there are very few of these guitars about. Stocks are almost zero because of Martins's shut down because of the pandemic. It's been suggested that it might be 2 months plus before anymore turn up here in Australia.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

If I liked everything else about it, I would not let that put me off.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 06-28-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
If I liked everything else about it, I would not let that put me off.
I'm not interested in a refund, if I cant get the guitar swapped for another, I will keep it.....I do love this thing

Old 06-28-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not interested in a refund, if I cant get the guitar swapped for another, I will keep it.....I do love this thing
That fretboard would not bother me at all. I think it looks cool -- I like the trend toward non-dyed ebony. If you love that particular guitar, I'd keep it rather than deal with the hassle of a swap and take the chance that the replacement wouldn't sound as good or would have some other issue. A bird in the hand and all ...
Old 06-28-2020, 12:51 PM

I also live in the Northern Rivers area and have been keen to hear / play one of these. If you are ever up this way and feel social, let me know. One shop I deal with in Brisbane is planning to get them in stock and I'm on their list to notify but I've not heard anything.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:52 PM

I would swap it for another. I would not be happy with that fretboard. Maybe there’s a way to dye it?
Old 06-28-2020, 03:53 PM

Take it to a repair shop to be dyed if it concerns you. The little bit of the top I can see looks super nice. That is way more important to me than the color of the fingerboard.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-28-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I also live in the Northern Rivers area and have been keen to hear / play one of these. If you are ever up this way and feel social, let me know. One shop I deal with in Brisbane is planning to get them in stock and I'm on their list to notify but I've not heard anything.
It's probably due to the fact that there are next to none in Australia ATM. One supplier told me 2 to 6 months?

Old 06-28-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Take it to a repair shop to be dyed if it concerns you. The little bit of the top I can see looks super nice. That is way more important to me than the color of the fingerboard.
I can tell you the top is stunning, in fact, the rest of the guitar is aesthetically very beautiful.
The mother of pearl inlays are gorgeous, they have not overdone the bling, it's very tastefully done in IMHO.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I'm making inquiries about it with Martin and the GC that sold it to me.

What worries me there are very few of these guitars about. Stocks are almost zero because of Martins's shut down because of the pandemic. It's been suggested that it might be 2 months plus before anymore turn up here in Australia.
I'm confused. Did a USA Guitar Center sell this to you?
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 06-29-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I'm confused. Did a USA Guitar Center sell this to you?
No, I purchased it here in Australia, the GC's last one. It was one of two which they had on order for some time. One had already been sold to another customer, the other went to me. They now have zero stock.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
No, I purchased it here in Australia, the GC's last one. It was one of two which they had on order for some time. One had already been sold to another customer, the other went to me. They now have zero stock.
Thanks for clarifying. My mistake & I wish you the best in getting that resolved.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion