The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2020, 10:09 AM

Default NU-X Optima Air

Maybe this has been mentioned but it looks like NU-X made their own version of the Tonedexter.

https://youtu.be/hvuJmEoC6VQ
Old 04-16-2020, 12:05 PM

Here is embedded

So it makes a second competitor after Baggs Soundscape.

Nux pedal will have Hi-Z, all the pedals share the same plateform (I have the IR pedal).

There is good chance it goes up to 2048pts as the Nux Solid studio.

There is a blend pot too...

for $179.00. It is going to be a great contender for Tonedexter.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-16-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Here is embedded

So it makes a second competitor after Baggs Soundscape.

Nux pedal will have Hi-Z, all the pedals share the same plateform (I have the IR pedal).

There is good chance it goes up to 2048pts as the Nux Solid studio.

There is a blend pot too...

for $179.00. It is going to be a great contender for Tonedexter.
There's definitely some standout features. I like how they have integrated reverb, there's a toggle switch for various presets and the pedal can be used with magnetic pickups and electric guitars. I also like how the preamp controls can be added in with the second footswitch. It's not the best demo as the player isn't all that skilled but it does sound good.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
the pedal can be used with magnetic pickups and electric guitars.
It's still IR. Expect nothing more than what Tonedexter, Jon Fields or my Algorythm to do as regards magnetic pickup.

They all can be used with magnetic pickups. But it will not correct the flaws of magnetic pickup (comb filtering). For example, you can't correct a Taylor ES1 pickup with IR.

Note that in order to make your own IR you need a mic preamp or a mixer with the microphone.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-16-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
It's still IR. Expect nothing more than what Tonedexter, Jon Fields or my Algorythm to do as regards magnetic pickup.

They all can be used with magnetic pickups. But it will not correct the flaws of magnetic pickup (comb filtering). For example, you can't correct a Taylor ES1 pickup with IR.

Note that in order to make your own IR you need a mic preamp or a mixer with the microphone.
Yeah the need for a preamp is a bit annoying. Just more to set up. Still, you can’t knock the price of this unit. I am curious to hear some real soundscape demos. I can’t see how the soundscape will be able to compete through the use of a smartphone mic but we shall see.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
... Still, you can’t knock the price of this unit. .
Yeah it's priced pretty attractively, and the layout seems more friendly than the other options to me! Nux has been hitting it out of the park. Alot of people like their loopers and delays.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Yeah it's priced pretty attractively, and the layout seems more friendly than the other options to me! Nux has been hitting it out of the park. Alot of people like their loopers and delays.

For sure! My main thing is whether or not I want to stick with IR pedals or just use pickups that sound good already. I love these new pedals but I do find that they are more difficult to use live.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
For sure! My main thing is whether or not I want to stick with IR pedals or just use pickups that sound good already. I love these new pedals but I do find that they are more difficult to use live.
I'm with you there. My main board is a volume pedal, Grace Alix, and Keeley Delay Workstation (Delay and Reverb). I plug in, turn up the guitar, notch any offending feedback freq out, if the room is dry I add what is needed with the Keeley, and play. Total time to get going? Under 10 minutes! As you know I use the B-band pickups in most of my guitars so I am very familiar with them. And I've done hundreds of gigs with this rig, so it really doesn't get much simpler. It works with every speaker system I use.

But... we all dream of a better sound so that's why I check these things out.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
That is exactly how I feel. I may add IR into my setup again (used to have a Tonedexter); however, I changed my approached and started by fixing the source of my plugged in sound - the pickup. I then got a good preamp and so far it’s working quite well. If I did add an IR device to my setup, it would only be to introduce a mic’d flavor to my sound, not to correct a pickup that is driving me crazy. I’ve got the right pickup for my guitar and a preamp that works well with it. Anything else would be a bonus.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
That is exactly how I feel. I may add IR into my setup again (used to have a Tonedexter); however, I changed my approached and started by fixing the source of my plugged in sound - the pickup. I then got a good preamp and so far it’s working quite well. If I did add an IR device to my setup, it would only be to introduce a mic’d flavor to my sound, not to correct a pickup that is driving me crazy. I’ve got the right pickup for my guitar and a preamp that works well with it. Anything else would be a bonus.
Yep, that's my approach as well. Right now I am playing around with the idea of an Lr Baggs LB6 & Lyric dual source system with a stereo output. I would use something like the Tonedexter to add just a bit of a more realistic tone to the LB6 but it would be minimal.

It's the same with the Aura spectrum. It's definitely the easiest to set up live but it's best at around 35-40% and at that blend, it's more so helping to achieve a better tone but is not completely hiding the piezo.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I'm with you there. My main board is a volume pedal, Grace Alix, and Keeley Delay Workstation (Delay and Reverb). I plug in, turn up the guitar, notch any offending feedback freq out, if the room is dry I add what is needed with the Keeley, and play. Total time to get going? Under 10 minutes! As you know I use the B-band pickups in most of my guitars so I am very familiar with them. And I've done hundreds of gigs with this rig, so it really doesn't get much simpler. It works with every speaker system I use.

But... we all dream of a better sound so that's why I check these things out.
I am still angry with myself about my B-Band A2.2 XOM install. I didn't realize that the UST needed a 45 degree angled hole. I just installed it into my pre-existing Matrix hole and the piezo element split apart a bit. It worked but there was a loud hum. The Lr Baggs Element doesn't have this issue, even though it's a different type of pickup than the Matrix.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:04 PM

For $179, that's pretty tempting.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 04-19-2020, 12:33 PM

Has anyone seen an expected release date?
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24

---------------------
Old 04-20-2020, 05:08 AM

I listened to the full demo and have a few thoughts.

Listening to the demo I heard things I did not like similar to when I was doing the parameter search for my IR generator. My IR is interpreted by Octave, not compiled, but runs about the same amount of time on a relatively high end Intel processor in double precision floating point. The FFTs of IR calculation generate bad results if frequencies in the sample fall between widely spaced coefficients (also the window function works better with closely spaced coefficients). The way I got that to work is huge FFTs of long segments of the sample. That is likely not possible to be done so quickly on the lightweight processor that will fit in the the thermal (and cost) envelope of that little box. BTW, I think ToneDexter has a different approach to fixing this problem that is hinted at in their patent's trade secret discussion.

It is a great deal for IR loading (use Cuki's or my generator) and a basic acoustic guitar preamp with reverb.

Regarding the mic preamp, if you are using a mic that does not require phantom power maybe a simple matching transformer is adequate.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-20-2020 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:22 PM

Looks like preorders may be going on now.

Not sure of this site's veracity, but according to this link, it will start shipping 22 June 2020. Also, the price wont be $179 but $349.

https://www.artistguitars.com.au/buy...-DI-with/16321
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24

---------------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification